What Breed(s) Is This Beautiful Cat?

Mimane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

this is my handsome tom, Snowbell! i got him as a stray. when i first got him he was a bit more like a flamepoint/redpoint but now he looks more like a cream point.

Snowbell is a long-haired, fluffy, white cat with cream points on his ears, tail, and some orange-ish on his paws. he has dark blue eyes, and he is very loving, affectionate, easy-going, and rarely meows (he only meows when he's lonely or if he's out of food).

initially i thought him to be a ragdoll or birman but he doesn't really seem to look much like either. i almost thought he was part siamese when i realized he almost never meows.

snowbell is an adult cat (male) and weighs 8lbs.

please help!​

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mimane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would be Ragdoll for me too. He'll probably get fluffier in the winter months.
ahhh, i think you're onto something there. i live in texas (""winter"" here gets to 30 degrees at its coldest but it's always around 76 degrees in our house) so maybe that's why he doesn't seem to look as fluffy as other(?) ragdoll cats? thank you for the reply!

Mimane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, Beauty is thy name! Gorgious. I think a ragdoll is the nearest look alike he is.

why you dont think he cant be a ragdoll?
thanks so much for the reply!

the reason i doubted that he's a ragdoll is because in pictures i google of cream-point ragdolls they seem to have somewhat different faces, and most of them have lighter eyes- but you two may be right, and i may have just been overly skeptical this whole time. since i found him as a stray it's hard to tell!

[EDIT] also, i've read over and over that adult male ragdolls are usually 15 - 20lbs and my snowbell is only 8 at full adulthood, but maybe he was just born to be small haha

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ahhh, i think you're onto something there. i live in texas (""winter"" here gets to 30 degrees at its coldest but it's always around 76 degrees in our house) so maybe that's why he doesn't seem to look as fluffy as other(?) ragdoll cats? thank you for the reply!
My cat (persian though, not ragdoll) definitely loses at least half of of her coat in the summer. When it's cold out I also have about 4 months where the shedding in the home is minimal. Some cats have it more than others as far as I know.

He might very well be a cross though, or not a Ragdoll at all. Who knows!

Either way, your boy is beautiful! Enjoy eachoher!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the others- he is a very nice cream point Ragdoll lookalike! :)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to be the spoiler here - and especially in the company of StefanZ StefanZ and abyeb abyeb - but the photos are of sufficient quality that I'm going to take Mimane Mimane 's side on this one (though still simply a wild guess).

The facial structure seems far too defined for any Ragdoll, and especially where concerns the depth of the chin and the chiseled muzzle; I don't even think that the lovely Snowbell is from a Balinese outcross for the same reasons.

The second (supine) image shows the coat lying in a single direction, as though just after brushing - in the same fashion as the close-coated old style Siamese, but with a moderate hair length instead. While I'll admit that I've seen only two naturally-occurring long-haired Siamese mutations where chromosome B1's Fibroblast Growth Factor 5 gene proved to be the M4 mutation (yes, I'm aware that M4 can also be found in some Ragdolls, as with the M1 and M3 mutations as well), this beautiful cat gets my vote in that direction. The cranial planes seem far too "Siamese-ish" not to have been a product cross, and the close-lying, medium-haired coat has the same appearance as the pair of natural M4 mutations I've seen in the past:

siamesem4.jpg

with the coat lying close despite the hair length. If I were betting on a DNA outcome, my wild guess would fall to a natural (M4) mutation - nongenotypical recessive Siamese longhair parentage.

Edit: offered solely for comparison, note the broad facial planes and more shallow chin-to-neck dimensions of Katie's award-winning Lexus - a Cream Point Ragdoll:

6 Finals! First Cfa Show

Mimane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hate to be the spoiler here - and especially in the company of StefanZ StefanZ and abyeb abyeb - but the photos are of sufficient quality that I'm going to take Mimane Mimane 's side on this one (though still simply a wild guess).

The facial structure seems far too defined for any Ragdoll, and especially where concerns the depth of the chin and the chiseled muzzle; I don't even think that the lovely Snowbell is from a Balinese outcross for the same reasons.

The second (supine) image shows the coat lying in a single direction, as though just after brushing - in the same fashion as the close-coated old style Siamese, but with a moderate hair length instead. While I'll admit that I've seen only two naturally-occurring long-haired Siamese mutations where chromosome B1's Fibroblast Growth Factor 5 gene proved to be the M4 mutation (yes, I'm aware that M4 can also be found in some Ragdolls, as with the M1 and M3 mutations as well), this beautiful cat gets my vote in that direction. The cranial planes seem far too "Siamese-ish" not to have been a product cross, and the close-lying, medium-haired coat has the same appearance as the pair of natural M4 mutations I've seen in the past:

View attachment 197801

with the coat lying close despite the hair length. If I were betting on a DNA outcome, my wild guess would fall to a natural (M4) mutation - nongenotypical recessive Siamese longhair parentage.

Edit: offered solely for comparison, note the broad facial planes and more shallow chin-to-neck dimensions of Katie's award-winning Lexus - a Cream Point Ragdoll:

6 Finals! First Cfa Show

thank you so much- this is a wonderful reply! i agree that Snowbell looks a lot more like that pretty medium-hair siamese than a ragdoll. i've heard siamese cats meow a lot though, and Snowbell never meows unless he's out of food or looking for me/lonely. is it possible that he's a siamese who just doesn't really meow?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes It is possible!
The good thing about breeds is that individuals can be different from the standard anyway.
For example, I have a purebreed 6 months old bengal cat called Freya. Bengal cats are supposed to be among the most talkative breeds, with Siameses surpasing them in intensity (but not in vocabulary). However, Freya does hardly ever talk. She doesn't really seem to enjoy meowing, but she chirps and does some weird metallic like sounds from time to time, just for making sure I am looking at her while she does he stuff.
So yes, you may have one of those rare Siamese X cats that fall in the 0'1% of silence lovers. Enjoy It!
Your cat is stunning, by the way, so be sure to post most pictures of him!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

View attachment 197801

6 Finals! First Cfa Show

Though blue eyes are just to much! Beautiful!

Kathryn Jones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you so much- this is a wonderful reply! i agree that Snowbell looks a lot more like that pretty medium-hair siamese than a ragdoll. i've heard siamese cats meow a lot though, and Snowbell never meows unless he's out of food or looking for me/lonely. is it possible that he's a siamese who just doesn't really meow?
My Iggy is a red point Siamese who's points didn't darken properly and he is very similar in coloring. People think he a foreign white unless you see him in the sun.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could just be a semi longhaired of no particular breed. Where I live there are lots of extreme poofy longhaired cats, very large sized as well as smaller. Many semi longhaired as well, all native moggies.. The long haired breeds all grew out of domestic cats from somewhere.
My local cat looks like an angora in hair type and face type.

Mimane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you have a Siamese, Ragdoll mix. Just my 2 cents. He's very pretty and looks happy!
thank you for the reply! it's funny because, before i saw your reply, i had been thinking the same thing after seeing people say he could be a ragdoll or a siamese. i definitely see the siamese in his facial features, but everything else seems kind of birman or ragdoll to me, so i'm now just assuming he's a siamese/ragdoll mix. since he was a stray i don't think i'll ever truly know, but either way i love him to death!