What Breed my Kitten is?

amolbook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys,

This Kiten is 45 days old. i know she is not pure breed, and i suppose she is DLH.

Am i right? do u find any resemblance with any of the breed? does she look like Norwegian Forest Cat?

lucylittlekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She looks like she may be DMH, you won't really know until she gets older. Those ears are very distinctive of some bigger eared breeds, but it could also just be the kitten effect where some things grow faster at first. It will be a little more clear when she's a bit older.

She's beautiful! What's her name?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amolbook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for reply.. her name is Chini.. It means Sugar in Hindi. :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She looks like she may be DMH, you won't really know until she gets older. Those ears are very distinctive of some bigger eared breeds, but it could also just be the kitten effect where some things grow faster at first. It will be a little more clear when she's a bit older.

She's beautiful! What's her name?
There is no such thing as DMH.  It's only DSH or DLH.  You usually can tell which it is by the fur on the tail when they are that young.  If her tail is very furry, most likely she's a DLH.  

It is difficult to tell sometimes when they are that young, because DSH kittens always are more fluffy than they are when adults.  However, I'm betting that she's a short haired based on what I see, She also has a very curious looks to her.  I bet she's a bundle of fun!  

Hard to tell if she's black and white, or gray and white.  I'm sure others with way more experience than me will be able to tell better.

Welcome to our site :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amolbook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:) She is a bundle of fun.

few more things i wd like to share. i have seen her mother, her tail is very furry and She was not breed by authorized center.

in this area we only find DSH cats. so i suppose This kitten is a crossbreed of DSH and DLH.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is adorable!   Color is blue and white. 

She would be a random-bred cat of the general type in your part of the world. ( the "domestic shorthairs" and "domestic longhairs" are not identical everywhere.  Similar but not identical. 

Re "medium hair" .  basically there are major genes for shorthair or longhair.   There is not a specific one for "medium hair".  But there can be various little unidentified genes that influence how long the longhair coat gets. 

I think she might turn out shorthair though.    It can be hard to tell with young kittens. 

Are you in India ?  If so,  do you have any native longhair cats there or is longhair coming from other breeds. that have been imported? 

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So she is about six weeks old... Really too young to be away from her mom, but at least she is weaned. My first cat was three or four weeks old and I had to bottle feed her, poor thing!

I don't know if that's just kitten fluff or if she'll be long-haired, but if she does turn out to be longhaired she'll need to be groomed, and grooming doesn't hurt a short-haired cat (and helps keep shedding fur off your furniture). You might as well start now, with a comb and short grooming sessions to get her used to it. Also that will help you find any fleas, if she has them and needs a flea treatment. Rescue kittens like this one usually do. She'll need her kitten shots, of course, and a vet checkup; so you can get flea medicine from the vet, that's gentle enough to use on kittens. Plus with grooming, you can start getting her used to having her claws clipped at this age, too. Most cats tolerate it much better when they are introduced as kittens.

She looks kind of skinny. Maybe she's just growing fast, though. In any event, it's impossible to feed a growing kitten too much, so give her as much kitten food as she likes and I think she will fill out nicely.

She has huge ears and such a cute nose! I wonder if she'll grow into the ears, or if she'll be a big-eared adult, too?