What Breed Might My Kitten Be?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcginnisr201

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, we had to put Snowball down after only 3 and a half days with us. This was the recommendation of the vet as he was extremely ill from head to toe due to FIV, physically uncomfortable, and so seemingly immune-compromised that he would likely be chronically ill. The vet said that his reduced immunity would make the ringworm very tough to get rid of, that it and other infections would likely recur constantly because of his poor health, making him pretty unsuitable to living in a house with children, not to mention very expensive... if he were outside, he would infect other cats and get even sicker.

We were heartbroken, and afterward felt like we had made the wrong decision. I can still see his sweet little face in my mind’s eye, and it’s haunting. I feel like a murderer.

I thought saving another, healthier kitten might be good for our family and might help make up for the horrible choice I made. We decided to adopt another kitten from our local animal shelter. Charlie, the new kitten, is a sweetie, has all his shots, and a clean bill of health. He looks extremely healthy, but he has sneezed a few times today. Now I’m fearful that he will get ringworm and some other illness from the germs left behind from Snowball. I feel guilty for putting him at risk. I have bleached and scrubbed everything. All in all, I feel terrible about the whole thing.

The vet’s explanation caused me to fear for the safety of my family and also made me think paying for Snowball’s hefty, ongoing medical costs was unrealistic... but I don’t think I’ll ever forgive myself. Im going to take the best care of Charlie to try to make up for it, but I feel like a bad person.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
M mcginnisr201 First, I'm so awfully sorry for you and your family. You took a chance to save save a life and sadly, that life could not be saved. There is no guilt in doing this. I hope in time you'll come to see that you did the right thing completely, even in making the decision to put the kitten to rest. There is a point where one must consider the quality of life and in this case, it is certainly apparent that Snowball would have had a very compromised one to say the least and also, eventually sooner most likely than later, would have still met the same fate.

It's always a hard decision no matter the age of the cat. Whether you've had them 3 days or 3 years, or a decade or more. We all second guess if we did the right thing. You are not alone but you did, do the right thing. Time will heal your grief and second guesses and I hope, the new kitten helps your heart mend.

My condolences to everyone :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcginnisr201

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
M mcginnisr201 First, I'm so awfully sorry for you and your family. You took a chance to save save a life and sadly, that life could not be saved. There is no guilt in doing this. I hope in time you'll come to see that you did the right thing completely, even in making the decision to put the kitten to rest. There is a point where one must consider the quality of life and in this case, it is certainly apparent that Snowball would have had a very compromised one to say the least and also, eventually sooner most likely than later, would have still met the same fate.

It's always a hard decision no matter the age of the cat. Whether you've had them 3 days or 3 years, or a decade or more. We all second guess if we did the right thing. You are not alone but you did, do the right thing. Time will heal your grief and second guesses and I hope, the new kitten helps your heart mend.

My condolences to everyone :hugs:

Thank you so much! You truly made me feel better. I appreciate your kindness and understanding more than you know. I really needed it today.