What breed is this kitten?

pinksugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a kitten from a rescue group last week. I have no idea what type he is, though I imagine he is a mixed breed. I live in Tokyo, and show-cats tend to be highly expensive (ie. 1500-2000 USD here. I've seen upwards of 3000 USD). However, that doesn't mean anything because there is a pretty big problem of people abandoning their cats when they can no longer care for them or when they didn't realize having a pet also means the possibility of having your stuff destroyed from time to time.

Anyways, point is: I don't know his heritage, and I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts. 

A few things about his personality: he's a pretty quiet cat. Not very vocal, very easy-going. When I first got him last week, he clutched at my hands when I picked him up. Now he come to me asking me to pick him up. Loves belly-rubs when he's not trying to play. When he does meow it's been at the vet, but usually he just chirps. He isn't a big jumper, though he's discovered how. His paws are so big that he walks a little funny and his back legs sit with the toes pointing out, though he doesn't walk that way. He's a lap-cat, even though he's just a kitten. He doesn't put up a fuss when I have to leave for school and is content to play with his toys before curling up on my spot of the bed until I get home. He loves playing, but he's not very demanding at all. He's also very passive about being put in his carrier and only puts up a bit of a fuss when I have to walk with him in it.

Oh, and he does like people. He lets people hold him and fuss over him without complaint. I have to brush him every day because he sheds violently otherwise (and his fur is long, I don't want it to get matted!)

So. ^^ Yes, any ideas?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow, what a nice beautie!   Im  sure there are breeds who look like him - although I for the moment dont remember them.  Otherwise, he will be a nice twist of the nature!

While Im thinking, I will call on our forumite @Norachan who currently lives in Japan she too.  (although doing rescue work, not pure cat breeding  :)    )

Good luck!   @pinksugar

ps.  If you ever get a problem with him being alone, remember the usual recipe is to get him a pal, another cat, so they will have someone to be with and play with  (and sometimes to quarrel with a little).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinksugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've always gotten two kittens at once, so this is definitely new for me! However, my roommate has a cat and after 3 days they were playing like old friends. Sadly, he's a bit sick right now (coccidia) and we have them quarantined with only supervised meetings. D:

Thank you, though! I'm sure I'll be able to find out his breed or part of his mix at some point! ^-^

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A few things about his personality: he's a pretty quiet cat. Not very vocal, very easy-going. When I first got him last week, he clutched at my hands when I picked him up. Now he come to me asking me to pick him up. Loves belly-rubs when he's not trying to play. When he does meow it's been at the vet, but usually he just chirps. He isn't a big jumper, though he's discovered how. His paws are so big that he walks a little funny and his back legs sit with the toes pointing out, though he doesn't walk that way. He's a lap-cat, even though he's just a kitten. He doesn't put up a fuss when I have to leave for school and is content to play with his toys before curling up on my spot of the bed until I get home. He loves playing, but he's not very demanding at all. He's also very passive about being put in his carrier and only puts up a bit of a fuss when I have to walk with him in it.

Oh, and he does like people. He lets people hold him and fuss over him without complaint. I have to brush him every day because he sheds violently otherwise (and his fur is long, I don't want it to get matted!)

So. ^^ Yes, any ideas?
Wow , he is beautiful ..  He looks a bit Persian to me . If you Google  Chinchilla Persain and look at the images , your kitten looks quite similar ..

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Wow , he is beautiful ..  He looks a bit Persian to me . If you Google  Chinchilla Persain and look at the images , your kitten looks quite similar ..
Yeah, I agree he does mostly resemble a Chinchilla Persain :D

A very beautiful boy ;)

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree @ GemsGem. That is the breed they use for the fancy feast commercials. You never know, I have seen people give up pure breed cats to animal shelters.  Locally here there is a irresponsible Siamese breeder who ends up sending kittens to the shelter because they could not sell them. I have seen a pure breed ginger Persian that was given to the shelter because they could not maintain fur/eye care.  Very sad. I applause you for adopting.  There are millions of great cats that need homes. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinksugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just looked it up- he does look similar! I didn't know there was a thing called "chinchilla persian". That's so cute. I actually told my friend he reminded me of a chinchilla the other day because he's skinny but he's so fluffy. ^^ I didn't realize persians came in a non-squashed-face variety, though. I thought they were just long-haired cats. The more you know!

My siamese-looking cat was a stray I took in as a kitten before her markings really developed. I was really surprised when they did- I know she's mixed due to her litter mates being a variety of colors (she was the only siamese-marked one). She's a gorgeous cat, I couldn't believe that she was just abandoned.

Thank you guys so much! If that's not what he is, perhaps it's in his blood. (I don't know if it helps, but one of his litter mates was colored like him & and three others were an orange-like color, but they were all very fluffy!)