What breed is this kitten? I am cat illeterate!

nanprn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any information is welcomed. We are adopting her! We have always had dogs but we want a cat. Any and all advice on how to make this baby feel welcome in our home are greatly appreciated! She has not been vetted. Her appointment is at 12:30 tomorrow. The lady who found her (dumped at her work) thinks she was about 3 weeks old. She bottle fed her until lately and thinks she is 7 weeks old. What kind of food should we feed her? Or just as the vet? Thanks!

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is super cute, congratulations on adopting her! She looks like a black and white domestic shorthair in this picture, although sometimes young kittens become more fluffy and turn out to be longhairs.

What food is she currently eating? I assume she is eating solid food now, but is she still getting some formula?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nanprn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know yet for sure. We don't pick her up until 4:30. She just said solid food.

nanprn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is super cute, congratulations on adopting her! She looks like a black and white domestic shorthair in this picture, although sometimes young kittens become more fluffy and turn out to be longhairs.

What food is she currently eating? I assume she is eating solid food now, but is she still getting some formula?
I don't know! We pick her up at 4:30 cdt

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks like a short hair to me :) If your able to, get a second kitten as it really helps socialization and help prevent single kitten syndrome. I always recommend getting the book Think like a cat by Pam johnson bennet for all new cat owners :)

She will need wet and dry food (the more wet the better). Nulo, Wellness, Merrick, Nutrience, Instinct are all good brands. It just depends on what you can find and afford. For dry you want the first ingredients do always be protein, if the food seems to have more grain or fillers, stay away from it. For wet food you do want proteins to be listed as the main ingredients and no carrageenan.

nanprn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! We were gonna get whatever the vet recommends. We have a shy, scaredy cat dog but she loves cats! She is scared of other dogs. The kitten has been raised around dogs and likes to play so we are praying this works out good for the both of them!
Do you think the vet will give us good food advice? We don't cheap out when it comes to our pets health!
Thank you SO much for the advice!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is lots of food advice in the nutrition forum on this site. People have strong opinions about nutrition :)

Food for a kitten should be labeled either specifically for kittens, or for "all life stages." This ensures it is nutritionally adequate for a growing kitten. Kittens should have frequent access to food, and should be allowed to eat as much as they want.

You will also want to find out what she has been eating and get some of that, so that you can make it an easy and gradual transition for her.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! We were gonna get whatever the vet recommends. We have a shy, scaredy cat dog but she loves cats! She is scared of other dogs. The kitten has been raised around dogs and likes to play so we are praying this works out good for the both of them!
Do you think the vet will give us good food advice? We don't cheap out when it comes to our pets health!
Thank you SO much for the advice!
Vets always suggest vet food, always. I wouldn't feed vet food unless it was for health reasons. There are far better brands out there :) Going to a local pet store you can learn a lot about feline nutrition to :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
That is one cute kitten- she looks kinda startled in the pic. :) Thank you for adopting her, you will not be sorry.

nanprn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vets always suggest vet food, always. I wouldn't feed vet food unless it was for health reasons. There are far better brands out there :) Going to a local pet store you can learn a lot about feline nutrition to :)
Thank you for that advice!

nanprn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is one cute kitten- she looks kinda startled in the pic. :) Thank you for adopting her, you will not be sorry.
She has the sweetest most playful personality. Was still and behaved at the vet and thankfully has no health problems despite her rough start. She's got roundworms but that's being treated. She has slept a lot today. I'm wondering if the vaccines and meds have her feeling poorly. She slept all night last night but played hard the 4-5 hours before bed. She's adorable.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She has the sweetest most playful personality. Was still and behaved at the vet and thankfully has no health problems despite her rough start. She's got roundworms but that's being treated. She has slept a lot today. I'm wondering if the vaccines and meds have her feeling poorly. She slept all night last night but played hard the 4-5 hours before bed. She's adorable.

I would suspect she is calmer than she has ever been in her short life and that is why she is sleeping so much today. The meds are making her feel better, she is with people she trusts, and she is not tense or on guard anymore. All of that leads to good restorative sleep.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What kitten food did you get? Royal Canin makes a kitten or mom and kitten wet food in small cans ( very smooth texture)Their dry kitten kibble worked well for both of mine too ( very small pieces) Now that mine are over 1 year I feed dr elseys kibble and wet. Kittens should have dry food available all the time and about 4 small feeding of wet a day. I would suggest getting a cat tree so kitty can have a high place to get away from the dog if she wants. Cats love cat trees anyway so they can watch their humans Would love to see more pictures! Congratulations

nanprn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would suspect she is calmer than she has ever been in her short life and that is why she is sleeping so much today. The meds are making her feel better, she is with people she trusts, and she is not tense or on guard anymore. All of that leads to good restorative sleep.
Great!! Our Yorkie poo is jealous and panting. Good grief! Praying she starts playing because "Daisy" her name unless we change it in the next 24 hours wants to play with her. This little bit is fearless!

nanprn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What kitten food did you get? Royal Canin makes a kitten or mom and kitten wet food in small cans ( very smooth texture)Their dry kitten kibble worked well for both of mine too ( very small pieces) Now that mine are over 1 year I feed dr elseys kibble and wet. Kittens should have dry food available all the time and about 4 small feeding of wet a day. I would suggest getting a cat tree so kitty can have a high place to get away from the dog if she wants. Cats love cat trees anyway so they can watch their humans Would love to see more pictures! Congratulations
We haven't gotten anything new yet. My MS is acting up so the husband had to take her to the vet. I may order it all from Amazon. OR send him with a list tomorrow. Those sound like good suggestions. The lady who found her abandoned had her on dry only, that's what we've got now. I'll post more pics.

nanprn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hhhmmm my pic files are too large.