What Breed Is Rico?

bluemoontutu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got this little guy in May. He's about 9 months old now. I have another maine coon, but this guy is really fluffy and soft. He has tufts on his paws and is stocky with short legs, but I'm thinking he is mixed with something else and not just maine coon? Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is very cute! I would describe him as a blue and white domestic longhair (harlequin pattern). Is his personality as goofy as it looks in the pictures? And... How does he fit in that flowerpot??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluemoontutu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh thank you! He is actually the most timid of all cats I've ever had. But he is mischievous and very smart. He likes to follow my 10 year old Maine Coon, Benni around. I'm glad you liked the picture of Rico in a pot, I have no idea how he fit in there! Do you think he has some Maine Coon in him because of the "poofy" tail, long fur & hair tufts on his paws?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He’s adorable! I would also describe him as a blue and white bicolor (in the harlequin pattern) Domestic Longhair. I don’t see Maine Coon in him, though. Longhaired cats other than Maine Coons can have those traits you describe (thick tail, toe fluffs), and Maine Coons have a more square-shaped head and broad muzzle. I think that Norwegian Forest Cat would be a closer breed comparison, because he has a more triangular head.

bluemoontutu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
you know what? I think you're right! I just looked up the characteristics of this breed and he really fits what I read. Especially the 1st picture of the link I'm attaching. I got this little at the shelter over Memorial Day weekend, they were having a "sale" on precious creatures that weekend. He's been extremely skittish, it took a month for him to come out from behind my dresser. But I know how to let cats adjust, so after that I opened the door of my room and he slowly came out and adapted to my other cats. Now he lets me pet him and doesn't run away from me and still making progress. I'm glad I have other cats that he can play with and sleep next to etc. Thank you so much!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The majority of cats are just domestic, not a particular breed. They aren't like dogs who have been bred for generations to perform particular jobs. We can pick apart what they resemble and how they behave but unless they are from a real breeder they aren't likely a pure breed.

madamemultari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my goodness!! your Rico could be the brother of my Leopold! I've been thinking Leo is more like a Turkish Van mix. Take a look at that breed - the face shape is more like it. I've never seen a cat with colors like this before and I love it! Love to hear what you guys think. The other thought is that their may be a bit of Maine Coon / Norwegian Forest mixed in because of the very tufty paws that always need trimming on the pads (he slips otherwise). Also, my Leopold has polydactyl hind legs with rear dew claws!

Attachments

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Namibian Dango Feroosta (or my name’s not Q2U!).

Must have snuck over on the boat out of Walvis Bay.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Adorable fella you got there :). He looks more like a Turkish Van mix

bluemoontutu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The majority of cats are just domestic, not a particular breed. They aren't like dogs who have been bred for generations to perform particular jobs. We can pick apart what they resemble and how they behave but unless they are from a real breeder they aren't likely a pure breed.
thanks for your reply. I know this little guy isn't a full bred, and that's ok but at first I thought he was a maine coon, but when he just started puffing out with fur the last few months, I knew there had to be something more. I appreciate your input and yes, all of my cats are spayed/neutered and are indoor cats other than going outside on my patio which is fully enclosed and they can't get out. Have a great day sweetie

bluemoontutu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my goodness!! your Rico could be the brother of my Leopold! I've been thinking Leo is more like a Turkish Van mix. Take a look at that breed - the face shape is more like it. I've never seen a cat with colors like this before and I love it! Love to hear what you guys think. The other thought is that their may be a bit of Maine Coon / Norwegian Forest mixed in because of the very tufty paws that always need trimming on the pads (he slips otherwise). Also, my Leopold has polydactyl hind legs with rear dew claws!
Wow! you're right, he does look just like Leopold. Rico is polydactyl in front paws. Thank you for your input! <3

bluemoontutu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for all of your comments everyone! I do have 3 other cats but this one is the focus of my thread. Little Rico just keeps getting fluffier and fluffier with winter coming on. Living in California, it doesn't get very cold though. Here's the latest pictures of my little Rico...

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Van pattern" coloring (mostly white with color on head and tail) doesn't indicate Turkish Van ancestry, it is just the way the white spotting gene works. Cats with two copies of the white spotting gene will generally have more white. So for example, two cats with just a little white on them (such as "tuxedo" cats) can easily produce some van pattern kittens.