What breed is my male cat??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, he is a point (or a colorpoint as some say).
He is also a tabby, and has lotsa of white. The color of his tabbyhood seems to be brown.

So, Mackerel lynx point and white, domestic shorthair.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are all of these beautiful blue eye kitties coming from? :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are great pictures of your handsome guy! I am in agreement with everyone here, I would describe him as a seal lynx point and white domestic shorthair. Enjoy him!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always thought that raggies came after Siamese, that is how they got their blue eyes.
It's an interesting question, jefferd18 jefferd18 . The Ragdoll breed was originally developed from domestic longhairs in the 1960s, so we could make a reasonable guess that these domestic longhairs may have had some Siamese ancestry, which would have explained the presence of the colorpoint gene. However... the pointed longhaired foundation cat used in Ann Baker's original breeding program was actually identified in early pedigrees as "Sacred Cat of Burma" (another name for the Birman breed). It's not clear whether this cat was actually a Birman, or a Birman lookalike. The origins of the Birman breed are somewhat obscure, but this breed existed very early on as a separate breed from the Siamese, and DNA testing shows Birmans to form a distinct group that is separate from the other breeds of Asian origin. So maybe the Ragdoll breed may have inherited colorpoint from the Birman breed, rather than (or in addition to) the Siamese... we don't really know. In any case, Ragdolls have blue eyes because they are pointed cats.

Last edited: