what breed is my lil kitty!?!

richelle hash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i adopted her from the shelter... so breed wasnt really what i was looking for...but then i started noticing pictures of "her" everywhere! lol id always say to my boyfriend " oh look babe there's Beltane!!" anywho here is some pics of my very loving talkative kitty

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Since you don't know her history and don't have registration papers for her, she's a domestic shorthair (DSH). Very cute. :heart3:

She has features that are similar to several different breeds, but nothing that matches any breed exactly. I'll try to find some pictures for you to compare -- later, after I get back from the vet.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow  she looks like she has some stunning eyes! 

She does not really look like any of the breeds known for blue cats--   she looks sort of in between them.  not as robust as the British Shorthair or (very rare) Chartreux but more robust than the (very rare) Korat and definitely more than the (rather rare) Russian Blue.

The vast majority of cats aren't really a "breed",  it is not like dogs that have been selectively bred so much for centuries, for many different jobs.  Most cats have just bred randomly on their own and have a mix of genes from the general cat population in their part of the world.

Blue is the dilute of Black.   it's a recessive gene so it is not as common as Black,  since a kitten has to inherit it from both parents in order to be blue. ( That doesn't mean the parents necessarily have to be blue themselves.  If 2 black cats mate, and both of them are carrying the dilute gene and give it to a kitten,  it will be a blue kitten.  )

Congratulations on your new kitty! 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Of these candidate breds mentioned, green eyes are typical for Korat and Russian Blue. In british rare / not wished for (Im not sure), not at all in chartreux.

Here, if I must guess at gunpoint what look alike she is, so perhaps a little look alike  Korat.   Although as earlier said, she is in between the usual features of them. 

How old is she?

Older Korates having enough to eat can get such here somewhat heavy boned looks. like seen on pic 1. They are otherwise athletic, although not quite as sleek as russians.

Of course, it happens even among russians they have "Excellent appetite" as one judge did wrote.   :)

Good luck!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 but a Korat is extremely unlikely to be found at a shelter.   Of those 4 breeds  the photos do look more like Korat than the others.  but that is not to say she is one!    

Seeing the cat in person,  a Korat breeder or judge could give a better opinion.   They also have a single coat,  and silver tipping all over the coat  (similar to Russian Blue, but the RB has a double coat).  Often people have trouble seeing the difference though.  I think many people just don't see a lot of single coated cats,  though the double-coats vary in how much undercoat. 

She does have lovely eyes like a Korat though.     They usually have bigger eyes though. 

But whatever she is , she is a pretty cat and I am happy she has a loving home! 

So are you going to celebrate her Name Day on 1st of May? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

richelle hash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the vet said she around 3 judging by her plaque on her teeth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

richelle hash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 but a Korat is extremely unlikely to be found at a shelter.   Of those 4 breeds  the photos do look more like Korat than the others.  but that is not to say she is one!    

Seeing the cat in person,  a Korat breeder or judge could give a better opinion.   They also have a single coat,  and silver tipping all over the coat  (similar to Russian Blue, but the RB has a double coat).  Often people have trouble seeing the difference though.  I think many people just don't see a lot of single coated cats,  though the double-coats vary in how much undercoat. 

She does have lovely eyes like a Korat though.     They usually have bigger eyes though. 

But whatever she is , she is a pretty cat and I am happy she has a loving home! 

So are you going to celebrate her Name Day on 1st of May? 
yes i did...i was in the market for a black cat...i found a couple i wanted to check out on the shelter's website...the one i fell in love with was named Nyx but they failed to put on his on line post that he was FIV + which bummed me out...but i started to look around and nothing tugged on my heart strings till i went into the last room...i saw her name was Beltane and knew right then and there that it was the Goddess herself picking out my familiar....lol..so i took her home and now she is forever mine!! 

all of these breeds mentioned i have thought she looks just like them...she is a very vocal kitty...sometimes she looks fat and fluffy like the British short hairs sometimes she look tall and sleek like the Korat...and her eyes even change just as much as her body sometimes they are green and sometimes they are gold!! she must be my chameleon kitty

psynapticj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most of what people have been saying here is pretty accurate.  While it is very difficult to really judge a cat from a photograph, your cat does resemble cats of the Korat and Russian Blue breeds.  I'm not an expert on RB's but this cat doesn't strike me as being an RB.  Your kitty does resemble a Korat in some ways.  The ears and semi-heart shape anglical face are typical for Korats.  Going by the pictures, however, the coat does not seem quite right.  A Korat should be a "blue" cat with a silver tipped coat.  From the pictures, your cat appears to have a very smooth/soft double coat that doesn't appear "tipped."  The eyes also, while very much resembling a Korat, don't quite look that way to me.  Your cat's eyes appear to be green, and quite nice.  The eyes of a Korat are complex and jade; they are also typically larger.  To give you an idea of what Korats typically look like (not the all-year winners you are likely to see at shows or in classic pictures of past winners you might see on a TICA board), I'm posting some pictures of my cats.

You can see in the pictures that I have three cats.  The little one is a female Bombay; the striped one is a Sokoke; and, the one that resembles your cat is a Korat.  I have had two Korats.  As you can see in the pictures, my Bombay (yes, I know she is chocolate, and not black) has copper eyes, a "heavy-chested" posture and the other attributes of the breed.  You can see these attributes in the picture called "Coco."  Similarly, the blue/gray cats in my pictures are Korats, actually just my younger Korat.  Both have heart shaped faces, huge jade eyes, a relatively pronounced musculature and neither is particular big or "fluffy."  Your kitty's eyes actually resemble, at least in the pictures, my Sokoke, who doesn't have jade eyes, but rather that sort of glassy green shade (the breed has either glassy green or yellow eyes btw).  Despite his wild African look (and Sokokes are actually from Kenya) mine is a little bit of a scaredy-cat who likes to cuddle with the other cats.  In fact, he's not usually scared, but he is very shy and has a very pleasant disposition.  

Most people do seek out black Bombays, and it's the breed standard, but I wanted a chocolate cat and decided on this one instead of a Havana Brown.  Chocolate Bombays, despite not being up to breed standard, are actually fairly rare to come across.

In picture 1 you can see my chocolate Bombay with her huge copper eyes next to my younger Korat, both on a blue blanket.  Although a little washed out, and I know how hard it is to capture a cat's eyes and coat in a picture, believe me I have tried, you can see the my Korat has very large eyes and if you adjust your mental settings so that my Bombay's eyes are copper, you can see that he has complex jade eyes.  In real life, the Bombay's eyes look like her right eye as shown in the picture.  In picture number 2 you can contrast the jade eyes of my Korat with the more glassy green eyes of my Sokoke; the floor incidentally is also green which gives you a good idea of just how much of a deep jade the color of a Korat's eyes should be.  It is also very difficult, as I said, to capture a cat's coat on film.  None the less, Korats don't really have "light gray" coats; rather, they have more of a light charcoal coat that is silver tipped.  In picture 3 you can make out, at least to some extent, the complexity of the jade eyes that Korats are known for.  Pictures 3 and 4 demonstrate both the deep jade of a Korat's eyes (remember this is also a green floor) and more genuinely reflect the deep gray silver tipped coat that is typical of a Korat.

As someone mentioned, if you don't actually have papers, your cat is at least "legally" a dsh, but I'm assuming you just want to know if your kitty has a breed.  (If a pedigree cat doesn't have papers, it may still be a "real" breed, as an owner can have the cat registered with TICA or the CFA either with the original papers or by the breeder/cattery.)  One way to find out, as I think was mentioned, is DNA testing.  But the other clues people have given are pretty important.  Korats, like Sokokes, are extremely rare, so finding one isn't very likely,  Retired cats are sometimes given away, but you have to apply for ownership for one of these cats, and get references, and so forth, and I can't imagine a Korat owner accidentally letting his or her cat make its way to a rescue shelter, or for that matter ever letting it out of the house or cattery.  My impression is that your kittycat is a very nice looking animal, but unlikely to be either a Korat or a Russian Blue.

This final picture shows the three of them together.  Although still hard to see the true colors and depths of their eyes, you can make out the Sokoke's glassy green eyes, and compare that look with the deeper jade eyes of the Korat.  All of their eyes are a little washed out, but I am sure you can use your imagination to darken the image and see what I mean :)

Last edited:

psynapticj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
GoldyCat -- I hope I have helped by posting some pictures for you :)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Psynapticj.  Tx a lot for your informative, lenghy post!

I wish you

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

psynapticj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
StefanZ - you're welcome, it's no problem at all.  I enjoy my cats.  I don't know much about most cat breeds, but what I do, I am very willing to share. :)

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Psynapticj. Wow, I saw there were new posts on here, clicked on it, it opened at the bottom, I scrolled up and saw the photos before i read anything and I said to myself WOW !!! Someone just posted a real Korat! Now those are some serious dewdrops on a lotus leaf eyes.

AND then I thought WHAT's this CUTE Burmy type cat that looks like actually solid chocolate instead of sable??
and a cool Sokoke looking cat ( and I now read it actually is one.)

I've never met a chocolate Bombay. makes sense it could happen if you were breeding Burmese and Bombays and they carry chocolate. I guess if solid instead of sepia patterned , is why they would classify it as a Bombay even if not Black?

Love your cats & thanks for your post.