What Breed Is My Kitten?

evefulford

hash brown connoisseur
Kitten
Purraise

i don’t know a lot about cat breeds, and according to the friend who rescued her and gave her to me her mom is feral, so she’s definitely a mutt of sorts but i’m just curious what she’s a mix of. when she got her shots the vet just wrote “grey tabby” as her breed, and i was pretty sure tabby isn’t a breed since it’s a coat pattern.

she’s got ears that are proportionally way too big for her head, a cute chunky belly, a triangular head, and HUGE eyes! her belly has spots and her back has got little racing stripes, and there’s a little strap under her chin. all around her mouth is white.

personality wise, she’s quite a fan of harassing my dog (who takes it quite well for a poodle/terrier who’s spent 4 years putting the bite on vermin generally her size). they play sometimes, but most of the time he just avoids her because he doesn’t like getting his tail gently batted at. she’s commandeered all his boxes but won’t let him in hers, and she spends most of her time trying to get places she’s not allowed. she already mastered the art of getting past my carefully placed blockades to be behind my headboard, in my window sill, and on the kitchen counter, and now tries to climb over my jewelry box onto my desk and tries to battle my sentimental corsage from junior prom.
she’s quite a chaotic little beast.

anyway. i’d die for her no matter what but still i want to know what you experts think she is.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe your kitten as a blue tabby domestic shorthair. She is very cute! I think I would describe her tabby pattern as broken mackerel (some stripes and some spots).

You are correct that "tabby" is not a breed. Actually, however, most cats are not any particular breed, and in addition it's not accurate to call them "mutts" or "mixes," since most cats do not have breed ancestry at all. Compared to dog breeding, selective breeding of cats is a much more recent human pastime, and cats belonging to any particular breed have always been rare. Most cats are simply domestic cats, but that doesn't make them any less special :)

Kissamew

My attitude is inspired by cats....
Young Cat
Purraise

i don’t know a lot about cat breeds, and according to the friend who rescued her and gave her to me her mom is feral, so she’s definitely a mutt of sorts but i’m just curious what she’s a mix of. when she got her shots the vet just wrote “grey tabby” as her breed, and i was pretty sure tabby isn’t a breed since it’s a coat pattern.

she’s got ears that are proportionally way too big for her head, a cute chunky belly, a triangular head, and HUGE eyes! her belly has spots and her back has got little racing stripes, and there’s a little strap under her chin. all around her mouth is white.

personality wise, she’s quite a fan of harassing my dog (who takes it quite well for a poodle/terrier who’s spent 4 years putting the bite on vermin generally her size). they play sometimes, but most of the time he just avoids her because he doesn’t like getting his tail gently batted at. she’s commandeered all his boxes but won’t let him in hers, and she spends most of her time trying to get places she’s not allowed. she already mastered the art of getting past my carefully placed blockades to be behind my headboard, in my window sill, and on the kitchen counter, and now tries to climb over my jewelry box onto my desk and tries to battle my sentimental corsage from junior prom.
she’s quite a chaotic little beast.

anyway. i’d die for her no matter what but still i want to know what you experts think she is.

I would describe her as a "you're in for big trouble and I can do this because I'm so cute" pure bred kitty!