what breed is my kitten

kimmee2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my kitten is 6 months old. His mother was a long haired grey and white cat. ( I know no more about her) The people I got my kitten from assume the father was a siamese cat by the markings. I am not so sure. I am thinking its possible I have a mixed ragdoll or snow shoe cat because of the colourings and white feet. He also has crystal blue eyes. He is very vocal at times. Not always meowing sometimes it sounds like purr chat. This cat has had a conversation with a growling stomache! haha He is very affectionate. Gets along well with my other two cats. I wanted to attach a couple photos but I can't seem to do that here. There are pictures on my facebook profile of "Scotty" I hope there is SOME way to figure out his breed. I know it really doesnt matter but I just would like to know for sure. I don't know what the mother's breed is either I only know she was a grey and white long haired cat. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wtih blue eyes he's certainly a colour-pont cat as are Siamese, Ragdolls and quite a few other breeds.

However whilst there is *somthing* possibly way back to account for the markings, he will be a domestic long-hair - a cat of no particular breed, like the vast majority of cats (>90%).

You need to post the photos here if we are to see them - not everyone has FB.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, most cats don't have a particular breed at all--not even "mixed breed". Cats aren't quite like dogs that way. Throughout their history, we've mostly let them mate as they pleased, and since they kept the vermin out of our food stores just the way they were, we didn't feel much need to do any selective breeding to modify them. So, nineteen out of twenty times, a cat has no breed in its family tree at all. But because cats have such a huge variety to them, it's entirely possible to have a cat with a resemblance to a breed--even though there was never a breed in the family tree at all!

The long-haired, sturdy cats of the United States (I call them Big Floofy Cats, because that is what they are) were the ancestors of the Maine Coon breed, for example. So, now we have lots of big, sturdy, long-haired cats running around, and only a few have Maine Coon blood; the rest are... hmm... distant cousins, I suppose would be the way to put it. Many cats are that way. Every once in a while, a purebred cat will get lost and mate with a stray; twenty generations later, you'll get a unique feature like a pointed coat in a kitten that has almost all of its genes from random-bred cats. Perhaps that's where the pointed pattern in your kitten's father came from.

A cat without a breed is called a "moggy" (especially in Europe), or, in most places, a Domestic Longhair/Domestic Shorthair, DLH/DSH for short.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 The people I got my kitten from assume the father was a siamese cat by the markings.... I am thinking its possible I have a mixed ragdoll
 Interesting question.   Dad being siamese isnt enough. The point "masque" gene is recessive ("weak").  Ie Pa with a  moggy Ma wouldnt usually give any pointed kittens, unless the mom herself is a point carrier..

Although it is entirely possible for two nondescriptive moggies to product beautiful old type siameses-look alike.  If both are carriers of this recessive point gene, and they both meets in said kittens.    The gene once it appears double in a cat is quite potent: it gives the outer appearance of said cat.

The typical outcome is a litter of usual moggies, and one or two of them - look alike siamese old type.

Such thing is not unheard of among Russian Blue, for example, as they did had used some blue-pointed siameses in Russian Blue breeding about 1946-50-th....  Them genes wandering and floating down the River of the Life....    :)

That said, your cat in your signature looks a little ragdollish...  So I presume he has ragdolls among his ancestors.  But when the ancestors happened, we cant know. they may be quite long ago!

All toghether. Your cat is a pointed moggie, pointed domestic.

If you want to compare with a breed, you can prob say it is a little look alike a ragdoll.     (or whatever it gives with these white feet you tell about).

Welcome to our Forums!

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen it in shelters and feral populations. What happens is that one initial pointed cat gets into a population, and then several generations later, two of the cat's descendants, both point carriers, mate and produce pointed kittens.

momcatsix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitten looks a lot like a blue snowshoe. (Gray is called Blue in the catfancier associations)

I have a pedigreed  chocolate snowshoe (see my avatar)  and his markings are not quite as even as yours. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimmee2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
your cat in the avatar is gorgeous...and so are your spotted kitties :))  thanks for your reply