What Breed Is My Japanese Kitten

nilbog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Here he is roughly 4-5 weeks ago. He's listed as Shorthair by the shelter we adopted him from. But I would like to know more.

Here he is moments ago. His siblings were both brown, white, and black while he is just black and white. He was abandoned so they never saw his mother. I have another shorthair and this little guy's fur length seems medium to me? We've had maine coons in the past and he's nothing close to that fluffy.

Also size is something confusing to me. The shelter said he is 3 months roughly. When I just went into the vet she asked if he was 6 months! He's also 6ibs.
Any thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nilbog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgot to add! He never sheds on furniture or me. Our shorthair back home shed like crazy though.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, so cute! Yes, I would say he's a medium-hair. The tail is a sure giveaway. I don't believe he has any purebred background---I'd call him a domestic medium-hair, black and white tuxedo pattern.

It looks like he has no/little undercoat, so that would account for less shedding. Most shedding is from the undercoat. So his coat is closer to that of a Turkish Van or Turkish Angora than a Persian or Maine Coon.

Most kittens weigh about 1 pound per month. So, yes, 6 months is more likely than 3 months, although some kittens are larger than others (double the weight seems unlikely though). The shelter may have been going on bad information, or were trying to make him seem younger to appeal to adopters. Does he have his adult canine teeth yet? That usually happens around 4 1/2 or 5 months.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd also say 5-6 months. The 4-month old kitten I adopted this year gained from 4 pounds to 6 pounds the first month I had her. Kittens usually don't shed until they get their first adult coat. Then she's likely to blow her kitten coat. Mine never did shed very much in the transition between coats and she is a medium coated cat.

nilbog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just contacted the shelter again and they are sure he was a few days old when they picked him up 3 months ago late october. Is his weight unhealthy?

nilbog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww, so cute! Yes, I would say he's a medium-hair. The tail is a sure giveaway. I don't believe he has any purebred background---I'd call him a domestic medium-hair, black and white tuxedo pattern.

It looks like he has no/little undercoat, so that would account for less shedding. Most shedding is from the undercoat. So his coat is closer to that of a Turkish Van or Turkish Angora than a Persian or Maine Coon.

Most kittens weigh about 1 pound per month. So, yes, 6 months is more likely than 3 months, although some kittens are larger than others (double the weight seems unlikely though). The shelter may have been going on bad information, or were trying to make him seem younger to appeal to adopters. Does he have his adult canine teeth yet? That usually happens around 4 1/2 or 5 months.
He just lost two sharp teeth that we found around the house. Maybe canines? They definitely look like fangs.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it's not unhealthy. He appears to be in fine shape. He may just end up being a larger than average cat.

nilbog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

You can see some of the hair length easier on his belly. Like a little fuzzy blanket!

nilbog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's absolutely precious!!!
:pThanks so much! He's so well behaved too. He sleeps in bed with us every night and loves strangers. Not that there's anything wrong with hissing but he's never done that either! A very content and confident little guy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just contacted the shelter again and they are sure he was a few days old when they picked him up 3 months ago late october. Is his weight unhealthy?
Late October was only 2 months ago. . .and he's definitely not 2 months old. I wonder if they have him mixed up with another cat :dunno:. If he just lost his fangs I'd say he's about 4 1/2 months old (but of course, just like humans, some are early teethers and some are late teethers).

Anyway, yes, he's a fine handsome boy! I love his rumpledy tummy :D.

nilbog

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Late October was only 2 months ago. . .and he's definitely not 2 months old. I wonder if they have him mixed up with another cat :dunno:. If he just lost his fangs I'd say he's about 4 1/2 months old (but of course, just like humans, some are early teethers and some are late teethers).

Anyway, yes, he's a fine handsome boy! I love his rumpledy tummy :D.
Sorry yes the shelter was confusing me a bit with the dates. He is confirmed to have been found a few days old around september 17th 2017. He is actually now clocking in at 7.8 pounds! I'm just flabbergasted at how big this boy is getting.