What Breed Is My Giant Cat?

Sho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got this kitten last year, cute as a button seemed like a normal little gray cat until he started getting taller than the older cats with legs and a tail longer than any other cat I have ever had. He is very affectionate to the point where he gets babied, we had to buy him chew toys because he's a biter, very talkative and has figured out how to open all the doors in the house that has handles. But mostly its how big he is. He's one year old and weighs 17 pounds but he's still slender at the same time. Any clue what type of cat he is? His name is Wun Wun by the way. I am also new so if pictures are not enough I am sorry...I didn't know what else to add.
20170630_145915.jpg
20170516_121020.jpg
20170630_145417.jpg
20170703_104113.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He would be called a blue tabby (in the classic or "bullseye" tabby pattern) Domestic Shorthair. At that size, he probably has some giant breed influence. Maybe some Maine Coon ancestry. Wun Wun is beautiful regardless!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He would be called a blue tabby (in the classic or "bullseye" tabby pattern) Domestic Shorthair. At that size, he probably has some giant breed influence. Maybe some Maine Coon ancestry. Wun Wun is beautiful regardless!
Thank you for the info! I really appreciate it!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just to agree. He is a true beutie, very handsome young man, especielly well seen on the last photo. You could try him out on our Cat of the Month contest, or similiar.

You could surely also try and participate with him in the cat Shows, in the Household Pet classes. If he is well handleable, likes people and to have attention on him, he should do nicely with his looks.

Bengal Bud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ditto ~stunning. And it sounds like he has the personality to match!

• Purraise
Reactions: Sho

Sho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to agree. He is a true beutie, very handsome young man, especielly well seen on the last photo. You could try him out on our Cat of the Month contest, or similiar.

You could surely also try and participate with him in the cat Shows, in the Household Pet classes. If he is well handleable, likes people and to have attention on him, he should do nicely with his looks.
Thank you! I never really thought about cat shows or contests but that is a good idea. He's just too gorgeous to keep to myself!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Super beautiful! Do you have any picture where I can actually see his face shape (profile) and his body and pattern?
Crazy hipotesis in my mind that I would like to check
That is crazy!

Yes - he does look like a Silver Marbled Savannah.

;)

• Purraise
Reactions: Sho

Sho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Super beautiful! Do you have any picture where I can actually see his face shape (profile) and his body and pattern?
Crazy hipotesis in my mind that I would like to check
Hopefully these help...hes hard to keep still.

Attachments

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good to know that I am not the only crazy person hahaha
I see Savannah ears but that face makes me rather think about a Bengal grandpa, with those peachy undertones in his Blue coat and his kinda solid structure. I do not really see a bullseye, but rather a very closed chaos marble pattern... It can keep opening far beyond he is a year old, so...
1427861389.png

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine and Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico

Do you think it's still possible that he has some Savannah influence, even without the ocelli? I don't know how many generations it takes for these to disappear.
abyeb abyeb -
absolutely. They can be lost in a single outcross - and many Savannahs (and even some Servals) have faint or no ocelli.

Sho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is so exciting! We have been playing the what breed is he game around the house but none of really know anything so this is awesome. Though I have heard of these breeds I don't really know much about them so it will be fun reading up on them. Thanks everyone.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both of them are really interesting breeds and, at least, a nice read even if your cat is not partially any of them.
You can find some behaviour characteristic to each of these breeds, as well as fur related details. For bengals I would say that pelt-like fur is quite characteristic, one of the sayings about this breed is that you can tell if a cat is a bengal even in the darkness by its touch.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to know that I am not the only crazy person hahaha
I see Savannah ears but that face makes me rather think about a Bengal grandpa, with those peachy undertones in his Blue coat and his kinda solid structure. I do not really see a bullseye, but rather a very closed chaos marble pattern... It can keep opening far beyond he is a year old, so...
View attachment 188928
Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico - I believe you're right, Alejandra. I spoke to a Friend in France this morning who has bred both Savannahs and Bengals, and inveigled her to examine the photos here. She thinks this kitty might very well be a Marble Bengal/Marble Savannah cross, based on the colour patterns and facial conformation - or the first generation offspring from a Bengal/Savannah x Domestic cross.