What breed is my female cat?

vickiclampin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my cat ever since she was a few weeks old. We got her from a shelter where she was rescued after being orphaned, and never found out what breed she is. She is now 8 years old and is a very strong character, very playful and affectionate but sometimes a bit moody. She is very picky with who she likes as she only likes a few people in our family. She is protective of the house (growls when someone comes through the door etc) but after that she often hides away around new people. Any suggestions would be grately appreciated! Thanks

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you also post a picture of her face, from the side? The profile can say a lot :)

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vickiclampin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are the photos of her from the side, she was in a bit of a mood when I took them because I'd woken her up to do them so they were the best ones I could get, sorry! Also, I'm from the Cambridgeshire/lincolnshire border in England if that may influence what breed she might be, thanks :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
@BiancaVD, what do you say about Masha down here, the heroine cat from Kaluga in Russia?  Surely a moggie, but is she of a good Siberian type, or just a pretty longhair of the overall type, from which Siberians were purebred from?

I lend this thread, as I understand you are wondering if  Vickilampins cat may be a Sibirian look alike, no?   That is why you asked to see the profile too.

http://www.godvine.com/read/Masha-The-Cat-Saves-A-Baby-In-Russia-796.html

Ps.  Masha isnt NOT obese as it perhaps seems.  She has lotsa of meat because she is a succesfull homeless.  Or, being in good shape and good meat, helps her to be a successful homeless, if you want to put it this way.   Also, living essentielly outside, she is in full winter fur.

I see Vickilampins cat is in full winterfur she too. - She is perhaps allowed to go outside often?

Can you also post a picture of her face, from the side? The profile can say a lot :)

Thanks!
Edit.  I corrected the spelling from Sibirian to Siberian.  Sibirian is what russians themselves would say slightly anglicized, in american english usage its Siberian.    :)

Last edited:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sorry will only let me upload one per message now
Thank you for your reply! :) You have a beautiful cat, congratulations!

From what I can see I'd say she's partly Maine Coon. I'm not sure how "large" she is, but her ears and profile to me say Maine Coon, but probably not a full bred. Her nose isn't as prominent as a Maine Coon would have, from what I can see. The reason I asked is because I was thinking towards the Norwegian (Maine Coon, Norwegian Forest Cat and Siberian Cat all really look alike - only a few differences between them), but her profile proved me wrong for sure ;)

Enjoy your beauty <3 She's absolutely gorgeous!

@StefanZ  Masha is a Siberian cat, I have no doubt. I'm even quite sure I saw a newsarticle that said "Siberian cat saved baby", but I can't find it anymore. But she matches Siberians perfectly :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vickiclampin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@Biancavd thankyou so so much for your reply! So happy to know a bit more about what she could be. You're very helpful! Thankyou for your lovely words as regards Kizzie too, she always enjoys a compliment or two as we all do.

@StefanZ in regards your question relating to whether she goes outside often- she is an indoor car as we have unfortunately lost our previous cats on the road so therefore she doesn't go outside at all, her coat is always that fluffy!