What breed is my cat?

grace14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I was searching the web for an answer but it seems that my cat is probably a mixed breed and I was wondering what you guys thought. He’s about 4.5 months old. His siblings were very fluffy (first picture attached, I believe) and I assumed he was a ragdoll at first. He seems to have pretty short hair compared to his siblings.
4780F46A-A3D5-421E-816C-2B52E4F948FF.jpeg

3AB11784-3D80-444D-A77A-7E12CB1AF88F.jpeg
2E4B9A91-7AB5-4955-85F0-340A354EC5DD.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely gorgeous! He looks like my Casper in my avatar. The points on all of them mean both parents carried the gene for 'points'. All pointed cats carry the gene for partial albinism (why the body color is lighter/whiter than the extremities), and a mutation occurs to the gene that affects the enzymes controlling fur color. Red seems to be the rarest color to achieve. They are born white because temperature affects the enzymes that bring on the color in the points and a mama's womb is too warm to allow them to work. The eyes are blue because of the albinism gene. Their little white feet may indicate some Snowshoe genes somewhere in there. Your little boy may develop a little more color as he ages. His coloring is indeed a Flame Point. He would be described as a Flame Point DSH (domestic short hair). the longer-haired siblings would be Pointed DLH. or domestic long hair. I have a soft spot for flame points, my boy was really a character, he earned the nickname "Bobo" because of his antics!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, a flame point domestic. So both parents are point carriers, possibly even both are points of sorts. (Kittens: one is seal point, one is tortie point, two are red, or possibly red and creme).

The genetics for long and shorthair is essentially the same; the longhair gene is recessive, alike the point gene.
Now, the combo of 1 shorthair, and 3 longhairs, is pretty unusal, goes against the odds as I understand it.
So a quick guess will be its most kitten fuzziness on littermates. And they all are shorthairs.

Or possibly, he will turn longhair after all with time. Such happens sometimes, its as trolls did come by, and changed them out... :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's an adorable little guy! :redheartpump:

From these pictures, I would describe him as a red point and white domestic shorthair. Red point is also sometimes known as flame point. It looks like he has white toes and some white markings on his face, and he may also have white markings on his chest and belly that are difficult to see right now. As he matures, he will darken slightly in color, and it will be easier to see the edges of his white markings.

Most cats are not any particular breed, but that doesn't make them any less gorgeous or special! He will no doubt grow up to be a very handsome fellow :)

Since all of the kittens are pointed, it's likely that both parents were pointed, too. At least one parent would have been shorthaired, since short hair is dominant. The litter appears to have had two red point kittens, a tortie point, and a seal point, so I would guess that the mother of the litter would have been a tortie point.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now, the combo of 1 shorthair, and 3 longhairs, is pretty unusal, goes against the odds as I understand it.
If one parent is shorthaired carrying longhair, and the other parent is longhaired, each kitten has a 50% chance of being longhaired. It would be quite normal to see a litter with 1 shorthair and 3 longhairs, just as it's normal to see a litter with 1 girl and 3 boys (or vice versa).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If one parent is shorthaired carrying longhair, and the other parent is longhaired, each kitten has a 50% chance of being longhaired. It would be quite normal to see a litter with 1 shorthair and 3 longhairs, just as it's normal to see a litter with 1 girl and 3 boys (or vice versa).
True, the theoretical statistic arent ironclad, so variations do occur. Still its against the odds, even if not heavily against.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True, the theoretical statistic arent ironclad, so variations do occur. Still its against the odds, even if not heavily against.
It's quite common for litters of kittens not to have an even distribution of males and females, and we think nothing of that. The same odds are at play in the case of a longhaired cat bred to a shorthaired cat carrying longhair.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK! Tx for the straightening out.

It's quite common for litters of kittens not to have an even distribution of males and females, and we think nothing of that. The same odds are at play in the case of a longhaired cat bred to a shorthaired cat carrying longhair.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probabilities of various distributions in a 4-kitten litter, if a longhaired cat is bred to a shorthair carrying longhair:
  • 4 longhair: 6.25%
  • 1 shorthair, 3 longhair: 25%
  • 2 shorthair, 2 longhair: 37.5%
  • 1 longhair, 3 shorthair: 25%
  • 4 shorthair: 6.25%
The same probabilities would be true for males / females, or any other "coin flip" feature in a 4-kitten litter.

(By the way, even if the parents were both shorthairs carrying longhair, with only a 25% chance of longhair for each kitten, you would still have a fairly substantial probability of 4.7% to get a litter of 3 longhairs and one shorthair! On the other hand, a 4-kitten litter of only longhairs out of two shorthaired parents would have a probability of less than 1%... it would certainly surprise the owner, too :) )

Last edited: