What Breed Is My Cat?

Yungpook19xx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2C4787EA-95DA-41BE-A22F-060244B188A9.jpeg
B5C49AAF-E7FC-4550-852A-499092ADEA9C.jpeg
I’ve been trying to find out forever! Someone please help! Some say Maine Coon but I’m not completely sure. Thank you!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great cat! I would describe your cat as a brown tabby domestic longhair; I'm not seeing obvious features that would indicate specific breed ancestry. Most cats are not any particular breed.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Domestic longhair tabby to the OP and the other is a color pointed domestic shorthair as mentioned in your thread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yungpook19xx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was concerned because he looks really similar to a brown patched tabby Maine coon.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was concerned because he looks really similar to a brown patched tabby Maine coon.
He is brown tabby in color. ("Brown patched tabby" actually means the same as "torbie" which is a tortoiseshell tabby.)

The color of a cat has a very powerful influence on our perceptions. People often think that a brown tabby longhair looks just like a Maine Coon, a white longhair looks just like a Turkish Angora, a blue longhair looks just like a Nebelung, a black shorthair looks just like a Bombay, etc. These colors and hair lengths are commonly seen in the domestic cat population.

When we try to identify whether a cat has specific breed ancestry, the most important indication is usually not the color, but the details of the head shape and body type. Certain pedigreed breeds have distinctive, extreme head and/or body shapes that are not usually seen in the domestic cat (for example, the Persian cat has an extremely short muzzle). Most cats, however, don't have extreme features that suggest a high likelihood of having specific breed ancestry.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yungpook19xx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand what you’re saying. I have a short haired tabby and to think that he is a tabby just blows my mind because she is so small. I mean he is just huge. His paws are 3x all the other cats and his teeth are ginormous. Lol