What Breed Is My Cat?

KaliDuchess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, so i'm new to this forum but...

I got Duchess when she was 2 months old from a shelter (she is 3 months now) and i want to know what she is? I think maybe she is domestic shorthair but her personality is way different from my friends D.S. Duchess is VERY energetic, she barely sleeps she's always playing with walls, shadows, insects, shes very curious! she always finds new ways to go to our pet bird, she's VERY smart, She's really sweet but sometimes when shes playing she can get REEEALLY aggressive like she bites alot, even if she has nails she'll bite also she eats alot she finihes her bowl in half a day and she is about 3.75 or 4 pounds. Her coat is super soft and shiny and she can jump pretty high and her eyes are yellow. She's very vocal too. I doubt she might be a bombay hence we got her from a shelter because the previous owner had "too many animals" but i might as well give it a try. And if anybody needs more pictures or whatever lmk ill take some.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She’s very cute! I would describe her as a black Domestic Shorthair. I don’t think she has Bombay influence; they have a rounder face, like the Burmese from which they are an off-shoot breed. Duchess has a longer muzzle in contrast, so maybe she has some Oriental in her. The only way to know for sure what breeds she might have in her is to get her DNA tested. In fact, Basepaws is having a giveaway of DNA testing kits to TCS members! Check it out: Discover Your Cat's Genetic Makeup With Basepaws

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome to both of you!
What a doll baby!!
I agree with abyeb abyeb , as always ;) particularly this
Duchess has a longer muzzle in contrast, so maybe she has some Oriental in her.
Is she able to eat more - in other words if you put down more food would she eat it? Kittens needs to eat a lot, and especially so when they have such a high output of energy as your little one.
Be sure and keep your hands away, if you don't have one a lot of members really like Da Bird. Also literally give a big HISS like her mama would do when she starts to bite or claw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KaliDuchess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she able to eat more - in other words if you put down more food would she eat it? Kittens needs to eat a lot, and especially so when they have such a high output of energy as your little one.
Be sure and keep your hands away, if you don't have one a lot of members really like Da Bird. Also literally give a big HISS like her mama would do when she starts to bite or claw.
yes she eats alot, after she's done eating her dry food i give her loads of treats and she loves eating fruit too.

and thank you so much about the hissing part, i'll definitely try that!

KaliDuchess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would describe her as a black Domestic Shorthair. I don’t think she has Bombay influence; they have a rounder face, like the Burmese from which they are an off-shoot breed. Duchess has a longer muzzle in contrast, so maybe she has some Oriental in her.
ok thank you so much for your input! i dont know much about cat breeds so that definetly helped! and yes i already entered in that giveaway ahaha

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Domestic short hair is not a breed, it's just a domestic cat with short hair, so size, shape, and personality are going to vary widely.

Kittens should be fed as much as they want to eat, unlimited amount unless she is getting fat, and actual food is better then treats. Think about it would be better to fill a child up on healthy food rather then junk food right? It's very possible she is vocal because she is hungry. Also cats are carnivores, some do like fruit but that doesn't mean it's good for them or that they can properly digest it.

KaliDuchess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Domestic short hair is not a breed, it's just a domestic cat with short hair, so size, shape, and personality are going to vary widely.

Kittens should be fed as much as they want to eat, unlimited amount unless she is getting fat, and actual food is better then treats. Also cats are carnivores, some do like fruit but that doesn't mean it's good for them or that they can properly digest it.
Ok thank you, but i do feed her alot everytime her bowl gets empty i put more, she gained 2.25 pounds in 2-3weeks, hoepfully thats good. and for the fruit, i always search up before i let her have some and online it says watermelon is good for them and raspberries are too but in "controlled amounts"....

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
...LOL, try green beans, baby peas, a little cheddar cheese, a little tuna, my boy likes a tiny bit of green olive. Not to hijack the thread but watching a horse eat watermelon rind is totally hilarious, they slobber like crazy!