What Breed Is My Cat?

DracoTheKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
JPEG_20170923_193955_191491941.jpg
20161110_232701.jpg
IMG-20161209-WA0001.jpeg
Hey, I have an adorable little guy named Draco.

He was a rescue cat, and we have no idea what breed he is! I have done some of my own research and he looks similar to a Turkish Van but I kept reading how they only have hair on their tails and head's but Draco seem's to have patches of different all over his body. Another fact I read is that he is a Male Calico cat and they are not very common at all.

If anyone has any in-sight on this it would be greatly appreciated! Thank-you!

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! :)
Has a vet confirmed that he is, in fact, a boy? His coloring is what is called calico, which means he has both the O allele (coding for orange) and the o allele (coding for not orange). The O/o sits on the X chromosome, meaning that for a cat to be Oo, they have to have two X chromosomes, meaning female. The only way male cats can be calicos is if they inherit XXY (similar to Kleinefelter syndrom in humans). Only one in 3000 calicos are male, meaning that if Draco is male, he's a very rare kitty! :)

I can see where you can see the resemblance to a Turkish Van; he does have that body type, but the van coloring is a white body with coloring only on the ears, forehead, tail, and sometimes a spot on the shoulder. He looks to be fairly small, too, so that rules out any of the giant breeds too. The best comparison I can think of is maybe RagaMuffin? But those are pretty large too. Without papers, you'd have to call him a Domestic Longhair. But if you're really curious you can get a DNA test done. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DracoTheKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Thank-you for the quick and informative response. We did indeed confirm he is a Male. I think Domestic Longhair is too vague of a breed to call him, so I think I will get him DNA tested. I would like to figure out his breed to learn more about his behavioural traits and preferences. This is my first cat and I am absolutely stunned by his well mannered behaviour and beauty.

I took a look at some pictures of the RaggaMuffin but he doesn't have the same kind of tail as them.

He may possibly be a mixed breed.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is gorgious and adorable! Very nice colors! Even if less common on a male, as stated.

The body shape and hair lengh could sit on a ragdoll, and not impossible its part of his background.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How cool! I would love to meet a male calico in real life.

With reds it's a 10 out of 100 who are female.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DracoTheKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the feed-back guys, and I love that you guys are intrigued by him being a Male Calico.

Anyone else have any other ideas?