What breed is my cat?

winter24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

The family I got him from said he's an abysinian. But I have a feeling he's got some other mix in him aswell. His eyes are blue and he is very playful. Smart but curious all the time. 4 months old. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Abyssynians arent known to be points, nor they are known for carrying the point gene ("siamese-mix gene").  So although its not entirely impossible, he wouldnt be  purebred if he were abyssynian born for real.    MAY be a mix, though, the face looka almost abyssynish. If the story about abessynian is reliable enough, for example the seller IS a breeder of abyssynians...

Breeders when they get an atypical kitten, if they dont pts it, they try of course to get it a good home, even if they must sell it cheaper..

To take another example:  It does happens Russian blues are sometimes born as points, although they arent supposed to. But here the explanation is easy: they used some blue siamese points in the breeding programme way 70 years ago...   And these genes still floates around, although they werent used in active breeding since at least 50 years...

My guess he is a domestic short hair, a tabby an point, will be called for a lynx point.   I dont see the color of the point properly, something dark.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

winter24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. The seller said he was an aby but they arent a breeders. He was given to me for a really low price due to me having to drive 1 hour and he needed a new home. So all in all, he'll be called a lynx? Thanks for the response

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks. The seller said he was an aby but they arent a breeders. He was given to me for a really low price due to me having to drive 1 hour and he needed a new home. So all in all, he'll be called a lynx? Thanks for the response
Lynx point, is another name for tabby point.    So its has really not much to do with the Lynx animal, whom is totally another cat specie.

You can also say  "siamese-mix" if you so wish.   Although the actual siamese ancestor may be way back, as is in the Russian blue example...