What Breed is My Cat

snow wood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just found this site/thread because my partner have taken in what seemed to be a black kitten ( and her brother/sisters ) some months back and "suddenly" she started growing big silvery tufts BEHIND her ears like that! we were looking online to TRY to identify what breeds she might be mixed with. her tail looks sort of like a long haired cat's might ( though she isn't short hired or long-haired fully), her tail fur is somewhat long on underside. Her brotherr and sisters do not have any of these characteristics.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

i just found this site/thread because my partner have taken in what seemed to be a black kitten ( and her brother/sisters ) some months back and "suddenly" she started growing big silvery tufts BEHIND her ears like that! we were looking online to TRY to identify what breeds she might be mixed with. her tail looks sort of like a long haired cat's might ( though she isn't short hired or long-haired fully), her tail fur is somewhat long on underside. Her brotherr and sisters do not have any of these characteristics.
OK, so she is medium-haired, but the medium hair gene is essentielly t he same as the longhair gene.   I suppose there may also be other genes which are moderating the fur lengh - and causing the difference between medium and longhair...

So she does has the longhair gene.  Its a recessive gene.  Her littermates are shorthaired.  Thus the hereditary went as follows.

The both parents were shorthaired, but both were carriers of the long hair gene. ( One of the parents, prob momma, was black.)  Such a combination gives this exact result: a litter of shorthairs, but one or two of the kittens will be longhaired.

Im not sure about these silvery tufts. Its not the white spot gene, this would be seen in other ways too.  Also, its rather common such tufts are silvery.

Tx a lot for saving this litter of our small brothers and sisters!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snow wood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah, similar "type" of cat to ours that has the silvery tufts behind ears also :) cute