What Breed is My Cat

found kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View media item 226190
Found this stray last night. Looks like it could be full bred? Any ideas? Think it could be Siamese? Do pure bred Siamese have medium length hair?

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
[b]http://www.thecatsite.com/content/type/61/id/226190/width/200/height/400[/b]

Found this stray last night. Looks like it could be full bred? Any ideas? Think it could be Siamese? Do pure bred Siamese have medium length hair?[/quote]
Sorry,  I dont get out the pic.   Please try again!

Pure bred siameses dont get medium hair, but there are sibling breeds who do have, noticeably the balinese, which is essentially  semi-longhair siamese.

Also, the fur lengh may be somewhat individual, some individuals may have somewhat longer hairs,  esp on the tummy and the behind.   So is for example with my oldest resident Russian Blue.

jazzyslovarp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry,  I dont get out the pic.   Please try again!

Pure bred siameses dont get medium hair, but there are sibling breeds who do have, noticeably the balinese, which is essentially  semi-longhair siamese.

Also, the fur lengh may be somewhat individual, some individuals may have somewhat longer hairs,  esp on the tummy and the behind.   So is for example with my oldest resident Russian Blue.
it coukd vary. Because I had a purebreed siMese 450 dollors. And he had medium to long hair well medium and he look exaxly like theirs

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
it coukd vary. Because I had a purebreed siMese 450 dollors. And he had medium to long hair well medium and he look exaxly like theirs
It seems you manage to see the pic in question?  Could YOU please repost it so this is visible for me and others?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With THAT long fur and very bushy tail, he cant be no siamese.    If someone totally trusthworhy said Zalda was siamese, in that case he must have been a balinese, who are essentially (semi) longhaired siameses.

Balineses tend to be more alike old type siamese than these "everything prolonged" modern siameses.

If not, I would try with some other longhaired pointed breed.  For example, a somewhat atypical ragoll, as he is more sleek than most ragdolls.

Anyways, he was a very handsome boy, and Im sure he is a wonderful memory to you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Found this stray last night. Looks like it could be full bred? Any ideas? Think it could be Siamese? Do pure bred Siamese have medium length hair?
He is probably an occasional mix. His parents may quite possibly be two totally different cats of any description, but both were carriers of the point gene.

The pointed siameses ancestors may be quite recent, but amy also be even 20-30 generations back

Such kittens gets not seldom the look alike of old type siamese.

Such happens for example in "my breed", the russian blue.

So he seems to be a look alike of an old type siamese.  Nowadays their contemporary equivalent is called for the Thai.

Or if you so prefer, you may say he is a look alike of a pointed russian.    :)

And yes, I think he looks very nicely!   That is why Im willing to set on him the label of a pointed Russian - look alike!!!   :)

Re the lengh of the fur.  Kittens have often a somewhat longer fur than they will have as adults.  You will see with time.  A bushy tail is revealing - bushy tail = he has the gene for longhair.    If he gets semi-longhaired, you may instead count him as a look alike of balinese.   :)

You were extremely lucky whom found yourself such a beautiful ex stray, to have as your new furry friend and household member!!!

Good luck!

Last edited:

jazzyslovarp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With THAT long fur and very bushy tail, he cant be no siamese.    If someone totally trusthworhy said Zalda was siamese, in that case he must have been a balinese, who are essentially (semi) longhaired siameses.
Balineses tend to be more alike old type siamese than these "everything prolonged" modern siameses.

If not, I would try with some other longhaired pointed breed.  For example, a somewhat atypical ragoll, as he is more sleek than most ragdolls.

Anyways, he was a very handsome boy, and Im sure he is a wonderful memory to you.
I had anothwr one. With look idwntical to theirs and he really was regre stered

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What registry, what association he was registered in??  Do I see a bushy tail?  If yes, he cant be a regular siamese.

It dawned on me another possibility.  If he is an allowed outcross, allowed beforehand by this association, the kittens in question gets a pedigree them too,   Although they arent purebred in the words strict meaning.    If they differ from the breed standard, they wont be allowed to compete in Shows.  But they do keep their personal pedigree-certificate.

jazzyslovarp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What registry, what association he was registered in??  Do I see a bushy tail?  If yes, he cant be a regular siamese.
It dawned on me another possibility.  If he is an allowed outcross, allowed beforehand by this association, the kittens in question gets a pedigree them too,   Although they arent purebred in the words strict meaning.    If they differ from the breed standard, they wont be allowed to compete in Shows.  But they do keep their personal pedigree-certificate.
he is a purebreed omg. He was regreatered with CFA so I know my cat he was 560. And I have his papers in hand with CFA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

found kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all for the helpful insight.

balibabies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was asked to respond to this thread since I breed CFA Balinese and Siamese. Most likely for the long haired kitten who was registered Siamese, this kitten came from an breeding of a short haired Siamese to a Balinese which is the long haired version. The breeder mistakenly thought this kitten was short hair and put that on the registration form making it register as a Siamese. If the breeder had of circled the long hair option the kitten would have been correctly registered as a Balinese. The cat that jazzyslovarp is referring to is possibly an incorrectly registered Balinese. But still purebred Balinese.

balibabies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The other option if the breeding wasn't done between short and long haired variety is that in the pedigree of the cat, there is Balinese and this long haired recessive trait showed up in this kitten. The breeder should have supplied pedigree papers and this could be seen. It could be an unexperienced breeder or one who is not sure of their lines?