What breed is my cat?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Nino  is a beautiful cat!   I love the way his eyes match his coat.    His color is Red Tabby and White.   and he looks like he is really  a nice cat  ( There is just something about those Red  or Red & White boy cats.  they are often known for having great purrsonalities.  ) 

I don't think he is any specific breed.   Cats are not like dogs that are normally a breed or mix of breeds.  There has been much less selective breeding of cats.  The vast majority of cats have just bred randomly on their own and have a mix of ancestry from the cat population in their part of the world.      There are some like the Turkish Van that are considered a sort of natural breed that have developed in a certain area and then later were selectively bred .   But  for most cats they just really aren't considered a breed,   but are just called Domestic Shorthair  or Domestic Longhair ,   which just means no particular breed / unknown ancestry.      They come in a great variety of colors and patterns, coat lengths etc.    

He does have some resemblance to a Turkish Van.  but it's almost certain that he isn't one.  but you could call him a "Van-Alike"    

He has what's called a "van pattern"  ( Or almost.  but  he has some extra spots of color on the body -- which makes it  actually a  "harlequin pattern" ) ;

The van pattern is named after the Turkish Van breed  ,  but it does not mean a cat  is a Turkish Van.   Most cats with that pattern are not Turkish Vans.   The Turkish Van is a rare breed and it would be just about impossible to find a young TV kitten in a shelter.    ( Well,  I guess in Turkey maybe one might find random- bred cats of the natural breed at some rescue group? )

Also, Turkish Vans are longhair cats.....   when they are in their summer coat they can look  shorthair  but some of the time they would normally have a longer coat.     I think Nino looks like a shorthair?   and the coat texture does not really look right.  

But  like I said, he is a very handsome cat  in his own right.