What breed is my cat?

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lt's a brown tabby and white Domestic Shorthair.

ls her stomach shaved? lt looks in the picture as if it's bald on the belly.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feral perhaps has different meanings depending where you live. Here feral is unowned - handleable or not

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the U.S. feral means wild, never domesticated.  If they have ever had a home, they are a stray, not a feral.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, the proper definition of feral is a domesticated animal that has reverted to a wild state. Not wild as in a wild animal, wild as in not tame, but still a domesticated animal. I think :tongue2:. Tame cats who aren't currently owned are strays.

Anyhoo, I assume she was recently spayed and that's why her tummy is shaved? If so, yay! :clap: She's a lovely tabby and white domestic shorthair and I'm sure the 2 of you will be very happy together :D.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If her tummy is shaved from being spayed, her owner is probably searching for her. You might think of making the effort to find the person who lost her.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 that was my first thought too.

She's clean, well-fed by the looks of it, friendly, and appears to be recently spayed. l hope you can find her owner.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I was thinking the OP had her spayed right away. . .but yes, if you found her that way, do try to find her owners!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the U.S. feral means wild, never domesticated.  If they have ever had a home, they are a stray, not a feral.

As far as I know, the proper definition of feral is a domesticated animal that has reverted to a wild state. Not wild as in a wild animal, wild as in not tame, but still a domesticated animal. I think
. Tame cats who aren't currently owned are strays.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Piperbaby, please tell us more about her and your finding.  As she doesnt seems to be what we call feral.

IS she shaved on her tummy?  Does she has a fresh operation scar there?

If she has a fresh operation wound there, she was probably at the vet for spaying, but managed to flee, either from the vets, but possibly during transport back home.

If she is just shaved (and has an old well healed scar), she was probably found by someone, who took her to the vets for having spaying. They shaved her, found this scar.  And again, she fled like above.

Anyway, chances are big she does have an owner who is anxious to know her fate. Please try to seek after her!   Use a prepaid cell / mobile phone card, if you dont want to advertize with your own name and place.

Dont describe her too closely. Let the owner identify herself by giving the exact description.

She may also have been dumped, as it is not unusual.  In that case you will not find the real owner.

But if the owner wanted to pay for her spaying, it couldnt be dumping....

Ask also  the vets nearby,

1. somebody of them did the surgery /shaving.

2. It is common   people seeking their missing cats advertize by vets nearby.

Tx for helping this little sis of our!

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

ps.  Good you took her in.  Tx a lot!

Freshly astray / dumped should be helped immediately, if you can and wish.

Being freshly astray or dumped is the most dangerous time, wide open for all predators or mean humans, or even common car accidents.   If they manage to survive on their own several weeks and are still OK, they do have decent chances to continue and live.  But the death rate is very highest in the beginning.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I would want to give a couple more definitions.

Stray:  Probably owned, but gone astray.  Thus stray, may be just gone on a long walk, or gone astray and not finding back home.

Dumped. Domesticized and once owned, but dumped by his owner, now homeless.

Homeless.  Domesticized, but without owner by any reason.  

Feral:  Cat gone wild, say born of homeless parents, without any close knowledge of people.

These are usually not handleable, not in the beginning.

Fostering of a adult may be possible, but not sure.

Semiferal.  All those inbetween cases. Some examples are friendly feral, through a long time astray/dumped who got feral to survive on his own.

Fostering should be possible even of an adult, although it may take time.

Something like that!     :)

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might belong to someone!  As mentioned above, looks like she has a shaved tummy and if there is a spay scar (down her midline) someone, somewhere is almost certainly worried about where their little princess is.

Have you had her scanned for a chip?  Have you contacted the vets roundabout to see if they recognise her?  Leaflets?  Posters?  Checked the lost & found in the local rag and on the Internet?  Occasionally cats end up some distance from home.  One of mine did, I think he crept into a vehicle and crept out again several miles away.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And heaven forbid Americans should ever accept that other countries don't use the same terms. The OP didn't state what country they're in, so to say they're incorrect in using the term Feral isn't necessarily true.

We're well aware of the terms that Americans use, this is because we're aware of the world around us, not just our own countries. No point this being a world wide site if only US opinions matter or are "correct"
I don't mean to derail the thread. . .but are dictionary definitions only American? I always thought they leaned more toward a British slant. I can't find any proper definitions that mention mere homelessness as a definition for feral.

Merriam-Webster: http://i.word.com/idictionary/feral

Dictionary. com: http://m.dictionary.com/definition/feral/?linkId=ibc5yn

I suppose slang usage may include a wider definition, but that's misleading if the cat isn't actually feral.

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a matter of dialects, unfortunately. Different places us words differently, and dictionaries have to try to accommodate them all, usually marking the words that are used only in one particular region, or used differently from place to place. English is a complex language. I don't think there's anything we can really do about that, except make sure to clear up misunderstandings and try not to become too frustrated when the languages we speak are just close enough that we assume they are the same, but just far apart enough that our wires can get crossed.

Anyhow, that is one cute little kitty, and it does look like her belly is shaved. Perhaps the OP took her in for spaying once s/he decided to adopt. That's what I'd do. A newly rescued cat needs a vet check, and if it's healthy enough to be spayed right then and there, why the heck not? Saves you going for two visits.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 same question please let me know if you find out!!!
Your sweet prettie is a domestic, tabby and white.   If you give a good photo from the side, we can see what exact tabby he is.

kimmortal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I have had Miss Kitty for going on 9 years and have no idea what breed she is. I always get compliments on how beautiful she is, but I wish I knew more specific info about her breed. She has short hair...white and gray.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have had Miss Kitty for going on 9 years and have no idea what breed she is. I always get compliments on how beautiful she is, but I wish I knew more specific info about her breed. She has short hair...white and gray.
Miss Kitty seems to bae a domestic short hair ,  gray and white as you say.  She is probably a blue tabb and white.   (blue = grey in cat fancier language)