What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lakooda.  Like the others said, her pattern is a point.  As you see a hint of stripes, it is tabby point, in cat fanciers language called for Lynx point.   Grey is called for blue, so  Lynx Blue Point.... :)

Breed you dont tell, I suppose she is a domestic "moggie", like is the most usual.

She may become a look alike a Ragdoll.

Good luck!

lakooda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for the info! Also, when Royale was a kitten, she had a red tint to her eyes, which is initially why I thought she was albino. I've never seen this in a cat before, but I heard it was a feautre in Albinos. She used to be pure white, pink nose and all that, but she's slowly faded. Interesting story, I once had a black cat that was born white. Much like Royale, she slowly faded, in the same areas as a Siamese, until she was completely grey, then she was eventually a dark shade of black as an adult. Beautiful cat, a polydactyly like Royale's mother.~ I asked the vet what could have caused this drastic change, and she said she had never heard of something like that, and that she had no explanation for it.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is an albino, they sometimes have blue eyes, sometimes red. But the main way of telling if he/she is an albino is if they have pink features. Especially around the eyes, ears and nose. Your kitty has dark features :) Very beautiful kitten you have 
True albino cats have pink or pinkish-red eyes. This is due to the genetic defect of not producing ANY melanin. This results in no pigment anywhere, including the eyes. The red or pink color is actually the blood in the capillaries showing through. Although, some dictionaries say albinos can have very light blue eyes. Still, the medical definition is 'no pigment anywhere'

fmcspankie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is my cat Tripp I got him back in 2009 as a christmas gift but im not sure what breed he is or what he could be? these pictures are from 2010 and the two little ones are his babies ZigZag(multi-color) and Gypsy (orange). Tripp chased a mouse outside one day when the door was open and he doesnt like to be indoors anymore and the mother cat was the same. The mother cat is a shorthair black with gray stripes. Can anyone help me kinda figure that type of cats they are? 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tripp is a red (orange) tabby. Gypsy is a tortisehesll. and ZigZag isn't clear enough to tell, but I think orange tabby also. They are all domestic shorthairs.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Royale is a Blue Lynx Point  ( also called Blue Tabby Point).    She may be kind of a Ragdoll look-alike ( or at least resemble them somewhat.)        

Re the albino question:   although she is not a true / complete albino,   the colorpoint ( aka pointed) pattern she has  is a sort of partial albinism.   The allele  (= alternate version of a gene) for this pattern is located at the albino locus   in between full coloration (C)  and a true albino (c) .   Rather than complete inhibition of the pigment,   in the pointed pattern , the pigment is restricted based on skin temperature, so that the most dense pigment is only at the coolest parts of the body.    A cat with this pattern is born with white fur ,  since they are coming from the heat inside their mother's body,   but then once they are born  they start to get color on the points,  and then a paler version of the color on the rest of the body.         

Since full color (C) is dominant over pointed (cs),  that means that if a cat gets one C and one cs they will not be pointed,  but they could potentially pass on the gene to a kitten.  and if the kitten gets another cs from their other parent ,  they will turn out pointed.     Royale was the only kitten in her litter who got a cs from both parents.   She is a beautiful kitten! 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  Royale is a Blue Lynx Point  ( also called Blue Tabby Point).    She may be kind of a Ragdoll look-alike ( or at least resemble them somewhat.)        

Re the albino question:   although she is not a true / complete albino,   the colorpoint ( aka pointed) pattern she has  is a sort of partial albinism.   The allele  (= alternate version of a gene) for this pattern is located at the albino locus   in between full coloration (C)  and a true albino (c) .   Rather than complete inhibition of the pigment,   in the pointed pattern , the pigment is restricted based on skin temperature, so that the most dense pigment is only at the coolest parts of the body.    A cat with this pattern is born with white fur ,  since they are coming from the heat inside their mother's body,   but then once they are born  they start to get color on the points,  and then a paler version of the color on the rest of the body.         

Since full color (C) is dominant over pointed (cs),  that means that if a cat gets one C and one cs they will not be pointed,  but they could potentially pass on the gene to a kitten.  and if the kitten gets another cs from their other parent ,  they will turn out pointed.     Royale was the only kitten in her litter who got a cs from both parents.   She is a beautiful kitten! 
Thank you for going through the genetic explanation. That is how Sheba, who prefers the name Meezykins, has the pointed color, blue eyes, and the fur that fits like a glove and is so soft, it makes pure silk seem rough.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lakooda tells:

"Interesting story, I once had a black cat that was born white. Much like Royale, she slowly faded, in the same areas as a Siamese, until she was completely grey, then she was eventually a dark shade of black as an adult. Beautiful cat, a polydactyly like Royale's mother.~ I asked the vet what could have caused this drastic change, and she said she had never heard of something like that, and that she had no explanation for it."

Lakooda.  That cat was apparently a Siamese, but got blackish over whole body in the end.  Unusual, but perhaps not totally unique.

Compare with that photo used by Maewkaew http://www.thecatsite.com/t/260946/two-sweet-siamese-kittens-what-color-are-we#post_3370614, with a bunch of Seal point kittens (ie a very dark point),

laying there toghether with their mom.  Who is darkish in her body. Not blackish yet, but it is not very much lacking.

She had of course also began as white / whitish and darkened more and more with time, the masque first and rest of the body later.

So I do think.   :)

Edit:  The citation is by some reason not visible, and thus; my answer is not visible outside as the first words visible.  So to speak...  So a slightly editing to cheat the system necessary.

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww what a gorgeous cat! Is he good pals with the puppy?
His "breed" as such would be domestic shorthair, without papers to prove otherwise.

ryan5508

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There were great friends. He sadly passed away 2 weeks ago to Carcinoma cancer. His attitude was unlike any cat we have ever seen and we were hoping it was a trait of his breed.

He acted more like a dog and loved to cuddle up all the time.

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One can find doggish cats in the general population... So really, that doesn't give too much more information. Quite a few TCS kitties will fetch and greet you at the door! If you like that sort of cat and you have space for another in your house, you might go to the shelter and meet some of the cats and look for ones with similar personalities; they may look like anything, but cats who are "almost like dogs" can definitely be found. If you go to a no-kill shelter where cats stay long-term, you might be able to chat with shelter volunteers and explain the sort of personality you like. They often know their resident cats well and can point you in the right direction. Do specify that you want a cat which gets along well with big dogs, since if you adopt an adult, you won't have the chance to socialize a kitten with your dog. Kittens are more flexible about that sort of thing, usually.

I can tell you that orange boys are known for being especially loving and good-natured. Urban legend or no, this particular orange boy sure was.

Your cat would be called a cream-and-white domestic longhair. Cream is the dilute version of red; so he's basically a red cat with a gene for white spotting and a gene for dilute (i.e., lighter) color. As for breed, I can't see any really strong evidence of recent purebred parentage, which is true of most cats--upwards of ninety percent aren't identifiable as any breed at all and are called alley cats or moggies or domestics. They are the result of natural random breeding, essentially selection for cats who are good at catching mice, warming laps, and entertaining their humans.

I love the way he matches the dog, by the way! That's just so darn cute!

Last edited:

lakooda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for the insight! It's so interesting to read. And yes, she is going to be a beautiful cat, unique out of the litter; who were all various shades of tabby. I'm noticing she's developing patterns. Around her eyes, and tail, the most prominent. It's like she's a white tabby cat, which would be a first, I've never seen white tabbys. Her eyes are beautiful! The dark kitten blues are gone, replaced with a bright blue, and coupled with the pure white markings around her eyes, it makes them pop! I should start her own thread and keep updating her pictures as she grows, we'll see how she develops. As for my white cat turned black, she did have "Siamese" markings fill in but they darkened from grey to black and filled in fast! She was such a jet black shade that people couldn't believe she was once white, they think I'm lying xD I love how unique my cats are, each one is special in their own way. As for Royale's eyes, is it possible she'll always have that reddish tint to her pupils? It's more prominent when they're not dialated.

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ryan5508-

He has same coat length and face shape as Albert. Perhaps closest to a Norwegian Forest Cat or Maine Coon. (If you had to say what he looks like)

His coat seems for DLH Than DSH but could just be the photo's. Gorgeous cat i'm so sorry he is gone but he must have had a wonderful life with you, he looks so chubby and healthy, also has same fluffy mane and paw tufts as Alby. How old is he in the photos?

And what was his name?

Also your golden retriever is adorable as well. 

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 As for Royale's eyes, is it possible she'll always have that reddish tint to her pupils? It's more prominent when they're not dialated.
Do you mean pupils (the center opening) or iris - what we call the color of the eyes. If you mean the center, that is a trait of all blue eyed cats.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you very much for the insight! It's so interesting to read. And yes, she is going to be a beautiful cat, unique out of the litter; who were all various shades of tabby. I'm noticing she's developing patterns. Around her eyes, and tail, the most prominent. It's like she's a white tabby cat, which would be a first, I've never seen white tabbys. Her eyes are beautiful! The dark kitten blues are gone, replaced with a bright blue, and coupled with the pure white markings around her eyes, it makes them pop! I should start her own thread and keep updating her pictures as she grows, we'll see how she develops. As for my white cat turned black, she did have "Siamese" markings fill in but they darkened from grey to black and filled in fast! She was such a jet black shade that people couldn't believe she was once white, they think I'm lying xD I love how unique my cats are, each one is special in their own way. As for Royale's eyes, is it possible she'll always have that reddish tint to her pupils? It's more prominent when they're not dialated.

Second pic, notice the stripes on her tail? ^_^ pretty girl

What a gorgeous kitten. Her pattern is color point, specifically lynx point (or tabby point). It's hard to tell just how dark her points will get eventually, but it looks like she might be a seal lynx point. Most pointed cats are born white and the colors develop on the cooler parts (points) of their bodies as they mature.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stefan  I agree with your assessment  that one possibility  for the cat Lakooda told about  is that the cat was Siamese   ( you said  Siamese  but i think you just meant pointed pattern like a Siamese).  

There are some seal points who eventually get so dark on the body that you can't even see the difference between body and points. 

Another possibility is that the cat was born with a really extreme manifestation of  "fever coat" .   sometimes as the fur changes ,  it first gets dark on the points.  then eventually becomes a black cat.    

If you do a google image search for fever coat kittens   , you can find examples.  

Or actually here is one on this site:   in this case the kitten is not entirely white but almost!   

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/243228/opinions-please-what-color-will-this-kitten-become
Lakooda tells:

"Interesting story, I once had a black cat that was born white. Much like Royale, she slowly faded, in the same areas as a Siamese, until she was completely grey, then she was eventually a dark shade of black as an adult. Beautiful cat, a polydactyly like Royale's mother.~ I asked the vet what could have caused this drastic change, and she said she had never heard of something like that, and that she had no explanation for it."

Lakooda.  That cat was apparently a Siamese, but got blackish over whole body in the end.  Unusual, but perhaps not totally unique.

Compare with that photo used by Maewkaew http://www.thecatsite.com/t/260946/two-sweet-siamese-kittens-what-color-are-we#post_3370614, with a bunch of Seal point kittens (ie a very dark point),

laying there toghether with their mom.  Who is darkish in her body. Not blackish yet, but it is not very much lacking.

She had of course also began as white / whitish and darkened more and more with time, the masque first and rest of the body later.

So I do think.   :)

Edit:  The citation is by some reason not visible, and thus; my answer is not visible outside as the first words visible.  So to speak...  So a slightly editing to cheat the system necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.