What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 She's a Red Classic Tabby and White  ( that's color / pattern) ,  and probably no particular breed,  like the vast majority of cats.    Cats are not like dogs that are usually a breed or mix of breeds.  There has been much less selective breeding of cats;  the vast majority of them have just bred randomly on their own and have a mix of genes from the general cat population in their part of the world.  They're called "Domestic Shorthairs" or "Domestic Longhairs" , or affectionately known as "moggies". 

But cats in different parts of the world have developed somewhat different types  and that is how many of the breeds got started. 

As far as breeds your cat's type looks like somewhere between a British Shorthair and an American Shorthair.  Both of those are old pedigree breeds but they originally came from the regular shorthair domestic cat populations in England and the U.S., respectively.    and she's like the cats that were the foundation of such breeds.   So if you want a pedigreed cat,  I would suggest looking at those 2 breeds and find a reputable breeder.  

Otherwise,  just visit a shelter and spend time with the cats.    It will be easier to tell the personality in an adult cat,   so I would recommend you spend time with some cats that are at least 18 months old , and see what cat you like -- or what cat chooses YOU!   

Then make sure you introduce them carefully.  Keep the new cat in his own room at first for at least a week,  and start to trade items with their scent on it so they get used to each others scent before they ever see each other or meet.    There is a lot more advice you can find on here or elsewhere online about introducing cats,  and it can make a big difference in how well the cats get along.    Good luck!   

Your cat has a lovely pattern.  She looks a lot like my dad's cat Taggy who is also a red classic tabby and white moggy.   Yours has more of a look closer to a Brit, though. 

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there!!

Grey and white coat with tufts on his paws and on his ears with very long hair coming out his ears, he has green eyes and a VERY long and bushy tail. He is longhaired and it parts down the middle of his back and hangs to the sides, his hair is longest on his neck, he almost has a lion mane and it is also long on the back of his legs (We say he is wearing bloomers) and on his belly. He is rediculously docile but terrible at climbing (That may just be him). His brother is the same but black and white and i never got to see his parents. He has a pointed face however he has a large jaw and very fluffy cheeks... I have included some photo's if anyone could give any ideas as to what he is or maybe he is not a breed? I don't know XD

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks a bit like my Buddy that is pictured recently upthread. Pretty!
He does! Albert just keeps getting bigger and bigger. He is only 9-10 months in the pix and has become so much taller and wider. I'm wondering when his growth will stop. Was Buddy unusually fast with his growth?? 

Last edited:

curlyqpgh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found Buddy as a stray adult. I wish I knew what he looked like as a kitten. But, he is large now. His friend, LIly, next to him eating, is regular sized. Buddy is long and tall and stocky and a little fat, probably.

People freak out a bit when they first see me in person. Then he ask me if he's a Maine Coon, because people just know that MCs are large. He's not an actual, registered, breed, but he is a big guy.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Albert  sure is a very attractive cat!  and seems like he is quite aware how handsome he is.  :) 

He does resemble Curly's cat Buddy ,  another  Classic Tabby and White  Domestic Longhair.    but Albert looks like he's a Blue Classic Tabby and White.   ( at least in most of the photos. If he is a blue tabby,  the darkest markings would be very dark grey.    In a brown tabby ( which is really genetically black) , the darkest markings are black. ) 

Albert has some resemblance to a Norwegian Forest Cat,  but that does not mean he  has any NFC ancestry.    I wrote above to Curly explaining about "natural breeds" and how other cats can turn out to look similar in some ways --  like his cats do resemble NFCs from the front.  but don't have their straight profile.   ( I can't tell if Albert does since there are no profile shots of him.) 

but it's also impossible to say for sure he doesn't have any pedigreed ancestry.   It's just that there are a lot more moggies and they come in a wide variety.   and they're more likely to be out randomly breeding  

Unlike dogs, most cat are not a breed or mix of breeds that would trace back mainly to animals bred by a breeder.   The vast majority of cats have bred randomly on their own , and have a mixture of genes coming form the general cat population in their area. 

The pedigree cats, with all the breeds together,  make up only a very tiny percent of cats.  In the U.S. it is about 3% of "owned cats"        I would think maybe it is similar in Australia.    

In any case  Albert is certainly a beautiful cat!  

mambo318

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wondering whether anyone is familiar with the California Spangled and could guess whether my guy has any Cali Spangled in him. Personality-wise he loves people and getting attention from literally anyone. He's extremely affectionate and runs out for a cuddle session whenever I get home. He's very "talkative" and makes a lot of eye contact. He also responds to his name, and even when he's napping he has to be around people.

** Disclaimer: It doesn't make any difference to me which breed my cat is/isn't, this is just out of curiousity :) 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mambo.  I dont see any picture, only this miniature, the cat there seems to be a tabby. Details not visible even on my less bad monitor.

Now, I dont know anything about Californians, save that what I read on Wikipedia, as a miniature leopard with lotsa of caracteristics spot.  Quite rare, esp as the programme got abandoned.

So I turn your question around:  Why do you think your cat is a Californian?

Has it peculiar spots?  Is he a known descendat from someoner known for having unspayed Californians?

Or any such at least hearsay proven ancestry?

Good luck!

Last edited:

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 Thanks MaewKaew!

I really don't mind what Albert is, he's my baby :) Just curious as i have been told that 'apparently' they were of some purebred X the mother was a purebred something and the father was a stray and thats why the owner decided to try and drown the two boys :( Luckily we got him and another woman took his brother. Anyway i just like hearing the 'what your cat looks like' XD it's fun to hear about the physical and mental traits that tie in with other breeds, it's interesting. Bottom line is that they are all gorgeous :) 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I don't even know if there ARE any California Spangled cats anymore!    OK,  I can't say it is totally impossible someone might be still breeding a few  but even in the  1990s there were only about 200 of them in existence.  and  they have continued to decrease.    They never got full recognition by any cat association,  and  basically they got overshadowed by other spotted breeds.   

I have seen one breeder site but it is from the late 1990s with very little on it.  and one article I found says they could only find one breeder's site which sounds like the same one.  .

Nearly all cat breeds are rare compared to popular dog breeds.  ( All the pedigreed cat breeds together are only about 3% of owned cats!)   but this is rare to the point of it might be extinct. 

So, I think you have  a  very cool looking cat with a very striking brown tabby pattern  --   at least from what I can see in the little avatar pic  ( and I would like to see MORE! 
).  and he might by chance resemble some of those cats in some way,  but  I do not think your cat is  a California Spangled or part California Spangled,  unless there is very very strong reason to believe that,   like what Stefan mentioned of if he came from someone with known registered California Spangled cats.  

Anyway he sounds like he has a GREAT  personality!  My kind of cat. 

It is natural to be curious about his ancestry.  It's not impossible he might have a bit of some breed in him  .    but to be honest it is very hard or impossible to tell  since the cat breeds came from the random-bred cats in the first place!     but  people want to ask,  so we have this section;  we can at least say what the color and pattern is  and if we think there is a resemblance to some breed. 

If you can put a photo showing him from the side view stretched out, we could tell you what kind of pattern he has.   ( It's hard to see in that picture,  because most tabbies have spotted bellies  .  I am guessing he may be a brown spotted tabby since you thought of California Spangled which is also a spotted tabby. )   These days if a spotted tabby has some breed in it, it's more likely a Bengal mix.   because they're very popular. 
Just wondering whether anyone is familiar with the California Spangled and could guess whether my guy has any Cali Spangled in him. Personality-wise he loves people and getting attention from literally anyone. He's extremely affectionate and runs out for a cuddle session whenever I get home. He's very "talkative" and makes a lot of eye contact. He also responds to his name, and even when he's napping he has to be around people.

** Disclaimer: It doesn't make any difference to me which breed my cat is/isn't, this is just out of curiousity :) 

mambo318

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the input :)

His personality initially made me wonder because I've had other domestic short hairs and been around them basically my whole life but this guy is just very different. I mean he loves water, loves people, and always has to be where the action is. I've also caught him more than once stealing things like earrings, screws, and sometimes he runs off with my phone charger lol.

Physically, he's got much softer fur, larger ears, and smaller paws than most other domestics I've come across. The reason I was wondering if he's a California Spangled is because I came across it in a book and the physical description and picture provided were very similar to him. Aside from that no papers or anything. The only thing I can offer about his background is a vague description of his mother: I saw her briefly when I picked him up; she didn't have any tabby markings that I can recall, and she was lean and a light caramel colour.. I didn't see his father but was told that he was fairly small in size but that's all.  

Like I said, this is purely out of curiousity. I am so lucky to have such a fun, friendly kitty and I wouldn't change a thing. I guess I'm just curious whether the way he is is just purely his personality or has something to do with genetics as well.

Here's a picture. He just turned 5 months and this was probably taken a couple of weeks ago so he's still a little guy.

Sorry, I tried to attach one before but it didn't work so hopefully this will (if it doesn't you can also find it in my photo album):

900x900px-LL-d3f6ebb1_photo.jpeg

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't really see anything about him that couldn't come about through random breeding. He's got an unusually pretty brown tabby pattern, though, spotted and swirled. I think he'd be called a "brown spotted tabby". California Spangled cats are spotted tabbies, so it's not surprising that there is a resemblance.

Here's a thought, though: The California spangled did come from cats like the American Shorthair and the British Shorthair, both of which are breeds that sort of grew naturally when people decided to create a breed from the cats that generally appeared around their area. So the same "ingredients" that made up the California Spangled might have gone into your cat. If you were to dig through the breeding forums, there are a lot of examples of such cats--cats which look like some breed or another even though it's unlikely that they have purebred ancestry. Think of them as cousins of those breeds, perhaps.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 <snipped>Wow! I don't even know if there ARE any California Spangled cats anymore!  

In this months Cat Fancy magazine, the California Spangle was mentioned. I thought, it was a purely domesticated breed, that was created Paul Arnold Casey, Jr. After that, I have no real knowledge about the breed. I do not remember what Cat Fancy said about the breed. I can scan the article and show it to you, if you want

OK,  I can't say it is totally impossible someone might be still breeding a few  but even in the  1990s there were only about 200 of them in existence.  and  they have continued to decrease.

I can't find any breeder, at least, not with Google's help

They never got full recognition by any cat association,

Any idea why that is? I am just curious.

and  basically they got overshadowed by other spotted breeds.

What other breeds? I am sure the Savannah and Bengal, but what other ones?

I have seen one breeder site but it is from the late 1990s with very little on it and one article I found says they could only find one breeder's site which sounds like the same one. 

I think, I found that one, is this it: http://www.bestbreedforme.com/cats/cat-breeds/california-spangled/? <snipped>

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Wow that is a very cool looking  Brown Spotted Tabby pattern with sort of curved spots -- and I can understand why you wondered about it!  And it does look like a picture I've seen of California Spangled.

I agree with Callista, though,  I think it could have happened via random breeding. 

what I think is going on here is an  interesting version of a classic tabby pattern broken up into spots.    Classic Tabby is a pattern of swirls, blotches, crazy looking shapes like butterflies and bull's eyes.   He would have inherited that from both parents.  This is less common than the Mackerel Tabby ( vertical stripes) ; 

Then there is a separate Spotted Tabby gene,  that breaks up the other tabby pattern.      I think I can see what looks like a broken up bull's eye on his flank. 

Beautiful cat! 

mambo318

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks I really appreciate the feedback :) I don't think he's a classic tabby however
because his markings are more like broken up stripes. Also, if both parents must pass on the classic tabby gene he wouldn't qualify because his mother had no stripes. Here's another picture that might show what I've explained a little more clearly.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I see what you're saying; that looks very mackerel-tabbyish.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Ah,  in this one it definitely does look like broken mackerel tabby.    you are right.   it's broken mackerel spots not classic tabby spots.  Sorry,  I just got misled by what looked like it might be a circular pattern  in the other photo.   And if I had only seen this latest photo,  I could think it is less broken up than it really is ( since in this photo he is curved inward toward the camera) .  

Well in any case, he is a cool looking cat ! 

But  re the genetics, both parents would not have to be a classic tabby ( or one parent might be not even a tabby at all) to pass on  classic tabby genes.  

There are different genes that interact to cause the tabby patterns.    So for example, one could have a classic tabby  born from a solid and a mackerel tabby.  

Basically all cats have the genetics for some kind of tabby pattern.  but there 's another gene called Agouti that sort of turns on the switch and makes that pattern show up distinctly,  for cats with black based color.  ( The red cats tend to show their tabby pattern no matter whether they get Agouti.) 

Because ALL cats ,  even  non-agouti,  have the genetics for some kind of tabby pattern,  one can sometimes see "ghost tabby" markings in them --  for example a blue kitten will often show some ghost tabby stripes on the tail or legs;  or one can often see some faint tabby stripes on a black cat lying in the sun .    
because his markings are more like broken up stripes. Also, if both parents must pass on the classic tabby gene he wouldn't qualify because his mother had no stripes. Here's another picture that might show what I've explained a little more clearly.

ilovemanecoons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Cat, Coco, is a 2 year old female. Lately, I have been researching/trying to put my finger on what breed she is, we adopted her from a shelter, and have know idea of what breeds her parents are. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the breed, Turkish Van, Coco has all the breed characteristics, and tortie and white markins, here are some pictures           

Status
Not open for further replies.