What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They tried to get him to lose weight but he wouldn't he didn't evenn eat that much he would eat the amount of a normal weight cat it was that he wasnt active but he died of something late last year but I can't rememmber what
Sometimes, if a kitty is eating the normal amount but still overweight, it points to an underlying problem--something metabolic, like maybe the cat can't produce energy effectively. So overweight can be a symptom of something else rather than a problem on its own, which is why we are advised to have overweight kitties vet-checked before putting them on a diet. (That, and a vet can advise on how to design an effective, healthy diet for an overweight cat.)

Sorry about your loss. Whatever happened, it seems like the cat had a healthy life before that final illness, and was very loved.

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ooo, didn't notice this topic here before. I'd like to ask for reader input on my one kitty, Kip. He's my beautiful boy no matter what (and the only one of my cats that will actually look at me when I take their photo), but I'm guessing he's some kind of a tabby?

His fur is so interesting - it's a lot thicker than it looks, and looking at an individual strand, the tip of each hair is black, but the bottoms are tan. So petting him in one direction shows black fur, and petting in the other direction shows tan fur.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He was loved very much and he before he gained weight was nicknamed feret cause he looked like a feret when he layed one his back

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooo, didn't notice this topic here before. I'd like to ask for reader input on my one kitty, Kip. He's my beautiful boy no matter what (and the only one of my cats that will actually look at me when I take their photo), but I'm guessing he's some kind of a tabby?

His fur is so interesting - it's a lot thicker than it looks, and looking at an individual strand, the tip of each hair is black, but the bottoms are tan. So petting him in one direction shows black fur, and petting in the other direction shows tan fur.
Yup, brown mackerel tabby and white. Tabby fur is like that. Each individual hair is colored in multiple shades to get that beautiful striped effect, which is great camouflage for a the little hunter. :)

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The brown tabby really reminds me more of the cat's wild ancestors than any breed. Brown tabby is a pattern you can find in many, many breeds.

The black and white cat has what is often called a "tuxedo" pattern. That's not a breed, either, but tuxedo cat is a common nickname for cats with that look.

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bellabear (the brown tabby) is very feisty. She loves to climb. Sometimes I call her my monkey cat. When we first got her she would not like to be pet or held in anyway. She would scream at you and swat. But now she loves attention, although it has to be on her terms and she trills when she sees me. She still will get annoyed and instantly switch to wild cat if you pet her longer than she would like and ignore her "warning signs" She is also very territorial to our other kitty and will even mount her to show dominance even though they're both female...she's also fascinated by moving water...she even watches pop and listens closely to the carbonation...it's so cute!

Last edited:

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat she is always loving and she ain't picky about anything really but she does love to be picky about when she is out of the room which is only when my bf is home she loves being home alone with me for some reason

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very sweet and kind of you to take her in. 

Like 95% or so of cats, no particular breed.  She's a White Domestic Shorthair.

Try to get her neutered before she is 6 months old, otherwise she will be having kittens...

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, the beautiful little thing! The way she's lying in your arms seems like she really trusts you. She's got her paw on your arm, like your arms are a nice little perch for her where she feels safe.

I cannot see any particular breed in her, either, but her pure white coat is stunning! Is it as soft as the photos imply? She's going to be a real looker when she grows up.

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much for helping identify my kitty! I thought he might have been some kind of a Maine Coon mix...I guess just about everyone fancies their pretty kitties a particular breed and most turn out to be tabbies and shorthairs. Every single cat I ever owned was either a stray I took in and never let back out or the offspring of a stray queen that was taken in until she weaned her kittens (after which she was spayed), so I figure whatever kitty I pick up is from a Heinz 57 stray family tree.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I love that white kitty! I love all the pictures. Love her lying in your arms. I love the one of her like a little queen in her royal bed. and the close up is beautiful.
As people explained most cats are not breeds. but there are regional differences. If she's from India, she would probably be genetically somewhat different than cats in Western Europe or America. But would still have a mix of genes from the general cat population in her area, from cats who have bred randomly on their own over the course of many centuries.

Something mysterious about white cats is you don't know what else they are under the white! It's like a disguise. She might have the genes to be solid black, or brown tabby, or tortoiseshell, or who knows what? ... but it all gets overruled by the gene that causes an all white coat to mask everything else.

She looks a little like a Khaomanee in the last picture, but I don't mean she is one. That is a rare breed originally from Thailand and very few of them have been exported outside there. so she would not be that breed, but we can say she is a "good luck" cat like them. And she herself has had good luck to get a nice home. You can call her the India version of KM. The name means "White Jewel"

willowfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi i was wondering whats my cats breed i got her 11 months ago from a pet store for free i moved so dont know where the pet store is located besides the point can you tell me her breed please i would love to know!

View media item 147096
View media item 147097
thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's an adorable domestic long hair.

You really should take the flea collar off her though. They are ineffective at best, and toxic and poisonous to your kitten. If she needs a flea treatment make sure she is at least 2 pounds and get the safe spot on frontline plus from your vet to use on her every 30 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Willowfire. Welcome to TCS
Your cat is a cutie-pie. She looks like a domestic longhair. That's what most cats are. About 95% of them are domestic short or longhaired.

Does she have mostly solid black on her sides and back? If so, the nickname for her coat pattern is a tuxedo cat. Do you have more pics? We love pics around here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.