What Breed is He -Maine Coon??

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I just adopted a huge 8 year old red fluffy cat, the previous owner said it was a Maine Coon but as there are no papers he was called a Maine Coon Mix. He has faint tabby stripes on his face but nowhere else. He weighs about 20 lbs and I can't feel any fat on him. He's very friendly but I have yet to hear him talk although he purrs up a storm. Tufts IN his ears but none on the tips. Big ruff and pantaloons and a luxurious tail and huge paws with rather short legs. When he walks or jumps he sort of flows like a ballet dancer. His fur reminds me of my Persian's fur, not much in the  way of guard hairs but very thick. What do you say?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I think he may be said to be a Maine Coon for real. Not necessarily of show quality, but MCO.  Also, him being ginger doesnt show off his hairy features.  His quadratish muzzle is one of the signs of MCO...  So this detail decided for me, even if the muzzle could be a shade longer to be perfect.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two male cats that the person who gave them to me claimed their dad was a Maine Coon and their momma a long haired calico. They look very similar to each other, though one is only about 11 pounds whereas the other is around 14. I'll show you the smaller one, his name is Finlay. His brother, Duncan, is on the right in the middle photo.

Here is Duncan

I think they look decently similar to your boy, minus the size difference. I think my Finlay looks more Maine Coon than Duncan, though. Short legs, no fat on his body, thick tail. Duncan is a little pudgy, has a long tail, but it is very skinny. They both have big paws and tuffs of fur on their ears. Not a lot, but there is some. Duncan has a fuller mane than Finlay does, but only in the winter, though. And they both have the pantaloons.

Last edited: