What Breed Is Best For Me? (somali, Ragdoll, Maine Coon And More)

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! This is my first post here and I hope this thread is in the right place. Please let me know if it isn't!

I am trying to decide what breeds of cat would be best for me. I am planning to adopt two cats in the future and while I have done some research I am still looking for different opinions and advice from people who actually have experience with the breeds. I think I am interested in getting a British Shorthair as one of them, and I am trying to decide between a Somali, Ragdoll, and Maine Coon (also open to other suggestions) as the other one.

Traits I am looking for:
- Intelligent, playful, and trainable, a cat that will likely be interested in playing fetch, learning some tricks, and going for walks with a harness
- A lap cat that likes snuggles and is comfortable with handling (especially important since I've read that British Shorthairs aren't really lap cats and I would like to have at least one with this trait)
- A breed that is relatively quiet and won't be too "in your face" or overly needy or vocal—I would like a cat that can be good company without constantly demanding attention
- A breed that can get by with brushing 1-2 times a week and won't need to be taken to professional grooming regularly

Some other breeds I have also looked into but know less about are the Burmilla and Siberian so I would love to hear opinions on those breeds as well if anyone has owned them! Please let me know if you have any experience with the breeds mentioned above or if there are others that fit this bill that I haven't looked into yet!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think you’d probably have the most success playing fetch, going for walks, etc, with a Somali, Maine Coon, or Siberian. All the breeds that you are interested are very intelligent cats, but those three probably have the highest overall energy level. Somalis are, on average, the most active of the group. They are not always lap cats, I know some Abyssinian (the shorthaired cousin of the Somali) breeders who say that their kitties might only stay in a lap for about a minute, before deciding that they want to do something else.

The best way, though, to decide on a breed is to visit a cat show. This way, you’ll meet reputable breeders, and get a chance to ask questions and interact with their cats. The two major breed registries are CFA and TICA. I’ll attach a link to a show calendar for both of these organizations.

Show Calendar

Cat Shows - Official TICA Show Calendar

Also, please do check out your local shelter or rescue group! There are a lot of great kitties in need of homes, including some resembling purebreds. If you get an adult cat, you’ll already know what their established personality is like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the input Abyeb! Yes, the Somali, Maine Coon, and Siberian all look like active and highly trainable breeds. I have also heard that Somalis and Maine Coons do not tend to be lap cats—I suppose it makes sense, since they must feel like they have better things to do! I have read that Siberian cats can be good lap cats though so I am planning to research them in greater detail.

However, I think your suggestion to adopt an adult cat might be the best option of all because it seems to be the best way to find a cat with a more established personality! I will definitely check out the shelters near me. I am going to try to catch the next cat show that happens near me as well! Meeting all the different breeds and their breeders in person before making a decision sounds like an excellent idea.

Also, I'm still interested in any anecdotes about the aforementioned breeds (or also shelter cats!) if anyone has those as well.

Friend's Friend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi friend!

There are also rescues for purebreds, if you're determined to get a specific breed. You could probably just do a Google search for "(insert breed) rescue near (wherever you live)" and come up with something. Another good site is rescueme.org. You can search for cats in need of good homes by breed and location.

And, too, every cat's personality is different. While some breeds may be known for certain characteristics, each kitty is their own. :) I think that's also part of why adopting an adult (either a mixed-breed from a shelter or a purebred from a rescue) would be your best bet.

As for Maine Coons specifically: mine isn't a "be in your lap all the time" cat but he does like his lap time. (He also refuses to leave my lap when he's scared, like at the vet's). He enjoys laying by my feet or on my desk when I'm at the computer (sometimes taking over the keyboard just to be closer to me). He's also the first cat I've met who doesn't cry in the middle of the night. He "talks"--and can be demanding if he really wants something--but most of the time his meows are little squeaks.

Good luck looking for a friend! :) Keep us posted!

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Friend! Thanks for the tips, I didn't know about breed rescues, those sound perfect! I will certainly look into them. I have also heard that some breeders find homes for retired queens so I might try asking around for that too.

Yes, I definitely agree that every cat is different and you can't guarantee personality traits just because it's a purebred. Plus, personality is very hard to tell when cats are kittens. My previous cat was an everyday moggy but she had an extraordinary personality and was one of the sweetest souls I have ever met! Adopting an adult cat is probably also a good idea since I haven't owned a cat for more than a decade and it might be easier to start with a grown up cat than a kitten.

Oh my goodness your Maine Coon sounds like such a sweetheart! He seems like a wonderful companion to have while working. I find it adorable that he sticks to you for comfort when in a scary situation like being at the vet's. His squeaky meows are so cute too! Maine Coons are one of my favourite breeds and your story just makes me want one more haha. How much brushing does your Maine Coon's coat need to stay tangle-free?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My family, and now myself, have never had a purebred cat, so I can't help with your questions. But I did want to Welcome you to TCS. :wave2:

I know you'll probably get better answers from member replies, however, TCS does have an entire sections on Cat Breeds | TheCatSite which may be helpful.

Good luck researching breeds. Be sure to come back and post pics when you adopt your cat(s). :catlove:

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck in your search. IMO, older breeds do tend to have a degree of personality traits associated with the breed, since they've bee around a long time, and I think that's the best reason to get a purebreed cat.

With that said, some of your traits are a bit tricky to all put together. lap cats tend to be demanding, and active cats tend not to stay in laps a long time.

I was going to suggest a Siamese, because they are intelligent, active, energitic, playful, and very trainable (they also play fetch.) Then, I reached the part where you said that you didn't want a needy or vocal cat, and decided you probably didn't want a cat who screamed like 1000 babies being boiled alive whenever here was a door between the two of you...

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How about a Norwegian Forest Cat? I’m definitely biased, but I adore my little girl and she has a lot of the traits you’re interested in.

She’s smart and playful and fun, but not at all a troublemaker. She’ll have bursts of playtime and then lots of napping or just hanging out with you. Loooooves cuddles. I haven’t tried teaching her tricks yet, though I’ve heard many NFCs are trainable. I know her previous owners used to take her on walks and do clicker training with her!

Overall, she’s got a super easygoing, good-natured personality—I can kiss her whole face, rub her tummy, clip her nails, brush her teeth, etc and she is unfazed. The vet thinks she’s an angel. Sleeps right next to me purring and doesn’t make a peep all night. She likes to talk during the day with tiny, chatty meows. Always runs to greet me when I get home from work. And the grooming is easy for such a fluffy cat—I spend maybe 5-10 minutes twice a week with a slicker brush and she’s good to go. (There’s definitely some shedding in the spring, though!)

Grey_Tuxedo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a fun thread since it is cool to read what people like about their favorite cats and the personalities that are attributed to breeds. It's also fun because while I often think about "what breed is the best" it has never actually presented itself as option in regards to my cat family. I'm pretty sure that a well socialized domestic shorthair can have as good a personality as any purebred! That said, there are some great breeds out there and I can't help but participate in the discussion.

The only purebred cats I have experience with are Siamese and a Maine Coon. The Siamese were so much fun, and a real handful - it may be "easier" to have actual children. The Maine Coon, Simon, was the most special dude ever. I don't know how much is attributable to breed but his personality was consistent with the glowing reviews of Maine Coons that you often read. He was big, which was a real plus on cold nights. He also required periodic grooming because of his long hair and thankfully he usually got with program (brushing a couple times a week will surely do the trick). Really, he happily got with just about any program that was thrown at him.

While I can't help but vote for a Maine Coon in response to your question, the most important thing may be socializition especially when it comes to two or more cats together. If you are going to start off with a couple of young cats, make sure they have spent formative time around other cats and look forward to days and nights engaged with them as you grow together.

Friend's Friend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heya!

I, too, am loving all of these responses! <3

As for Maine Coon grooming . . . I think it depends on their coat, too. I'd say Friend's coat is on the shorter end of the long-haired spectrum, and he actually does a really good job of keeping himself tidy. I brush him once a week or so, and I usually don't get much hair on the grooming glove, nor do I run into tangles.

And he'll let me rest my cheek against his side when he's decided to commandeer my keyboard. Nothing more comforting that leaning against something warm and solid and furry and loudly purring.

Anywho, I too am biased. ;) I can't wait to hear what breed you end up going with, whenever the time comes!! <3

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As a kid I had a maine coon named Sandy. She was a super lap cat. Also slept on my tummy. She had energy for days! She was friendly with everyone.

My grandma has a ragdoll named Clancy and he ONLY likes grandma. But he is pure lap cat for her. Always wants to be close. Also very quiet cat.

I would highly recommend the Maine Coon.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My young shelter cat has played fetch since we adopted her at about 5 months old. Earlier this week I was attempting to teach her to drop the toy in my hand as she usually brings it close to me and if I don't notice it quickly enough she will nudge me to get my attention. Today, I had left my purse opened and noticed her sniffing it. She then fetched her toy and dropped it in my purse. With some laughter and praise, she continued to place it there a number of times.

So that's my vote for a great shelter baby and a staff who will likely know the traits of their furry friends. Best of luck on your search!:goodluck:

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, so many new replies! I'm amazed at how friendly and vibrant this community is. Thank you for the input everyone, I'll get to all the individual responses below!

rubysmama rubysmama : Thank you for the warm welcome! I just took a look at that link and there seems to be loads of helpful information there that goes beyond the typical info you find in cat books or website pages about specific breeds. Thanks for pointing me to this great resource!

sargon sargon : Thank you for the good wishes! Yes, I agree that the traits I chose are a little hard to put together—I also noticed that active cats tend to not be lap cats and vice versa. I think overall, as long as the cat is either active and trainable or a snuggly lap cat, I would be fine with it, although it would be a dream to have a bit of both!

I did look into Siamese cats actually, they seem to be an incredibly smart, loving, playful, and funny breed! Plus they're a cat you can have a conversation with, if Youtube videos are anything to judge by. But yes, they would probably be a little too much for me over time, although they look like they can be so much fun. Is the cute face in your avatar your Siamese by any chance? :)

rosegold rosegold : Oh my goodness, I can't believe I didn't consider of a Norwegian before! Your girl sounds incredible, it's wonderful that she's playful, snuggly, and affectionate, she seems like such a sweet and balanced cat! You're very lucky to have her. My neighbours used to have an outdoor Norwegian cat who was also super friendly—he would go for walks following his family off leash and he would sometimes sit on my lap when I went to visit. I do remember the fur tumbleweeds he could produce during shedding season, but his great personality made it all worth it! I will definitely look around for Norwegians too in my cat search!

Grey_Tuxedo Grey_Tuxedo , Friend's Friend, Ghoulofnagoya: Thank you all for the detailed feedback on Maine Coons! It seems like wherever I go, there are always groups of people raving about this breed! It was lovely to hear about Simon, he sounds like he was an wonderful cat and a sweet snugglebug on cold nights! Sandy sounds amazing too, I'm really glad to hear that there in fact are Maine Coons out there like her who do like laps and snuggles since I've also heard some people say they are more independent cats. Thanks for the tip on Ragdolls too, that seems in line with what I've heard about that breed. I'm also glad to hear Maine Coons don't need a ton of brushing! It sounds very manageable. I wish I could hug all of your cats!

RajaNMizu RajaNMizu : Thanks for the vote for a shelter cat! I adore cats that are natural fetchers and yours sounds so smart and playful! You're super lucky to have her and she's super lucky to have had you rescue her. Having shelter staff to give pointers on each cat's personality sounds like a big help and I think it's the best way to find a cat with a certain personality!

Right now I think I am definitely very sold on Maine Coons and Norwegians with all the positive reviews they've gotten! Since the cat's personality is a big priority for me I'll probably start with looking in some shelters and maybe try to find some Maine Coon or Norwegian mixes. If that doesn't work out then I'll try looking for breeders. Thanks again to everyone for the advice, and please feel free to continue sharing your opinions on breeds and stories about your cats, I love reading them!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes my 12 pound cat seems pretty big on my lap, depending on position can get uncomfortable. And he likes to lie on my chest when I'm sleeping. So I have always had questions about the giant breeds like Maine Coon.

I'm not clear there is enough to the breed/behavior axis to worry about, provided you avoid breeds known for being a bit extreme in some way, like Abyssinians (great cats, but only if you know what your getting into).

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your thoughts ArtNJ! That's actually a good point, I was also wondering if the size of the cat might make some things trickier, like picking up the cat or finding a litter box that fits them. Any Maine Coon (or other big cat) owners have thoughts on this?

Also it's true that there probably isn't too much of a personality or behaviour difference between breeds with similar energy levels. I think most of it really comes down to the individual cat.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site, L Luvyna ! I hope you find a cat that has the qualities you want.

I have a Siberian, Leonid, and I have had another one, Boris, in the past. I have other cats that I love very much, but the Siberians have been special. They have big personalities and they love people. Both prefer my company to other cats. Both cats are self-sufficient, though they want to be in the same room with me. I never felt either was demanding. They never even raised a fuss when I forgot meal time! :paperbag:

Both have been lap cats, but Leonid took some encouragement. Boris would jump up on my lap four times a day and stay until I got up.

They are a very strong breed. They have long rear legs and they are prodigious leapers. Playing with both of them was great! Boris ran like a squirrel, up, down and around the 6 ft., 100 lb. cat tree when he chased Da Bird cat toy. Leonid is so quick it is difficult to keep him from catching Da Bird too fast and getting bored. He can't catch the laser :biggrin:, but it is difficult to keep even that in front of him. He is the most physically gifted cat I have had. I have read that many Siberians play fetch, but I did not try much with mine.

Neither cat needed much grooming, but it is best to brush them every other day when they shed, which is twice a year. Leonid has what the breeder called "cotton fur." He gets mats in his mane, but only once every few months.

Neither is very vocal. Boris sometimes chirped but almost never meowed. Leonid meows every once in a while, but it is so soft it is hard to hear.

I have a couple of large litter boxes, and all the cats like the larger ones. But the Siberians will use the smaller ones. The smaller ones are about 20 inches and the larger ones are about 30 inches.

This is a link to a website with loads of cat breed information. The first link is to the Siberian page, and the second link to the main page for information about other breeds.

Siberian Cat Breed Information, Pictures, Characteristics & Facts

Cat Breed Info Center - List of All Cat Breeds by Type, Traits & Characteristics

I love Siberians and I hope I always have one in my life.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, so many new replies! I'm amazed at how friendly and vibrant this community is. Thank you for the input everyone, I'll get to all the individual responses below!

sargon sargon : Thank you for the good wishes! Yes, I agree that the traits I chose are a little hard to put together—I also noticed that active cats tend to not be lap cats and vice versa. I think overall, as long as the cat is either active and trainable or a snuggly lap cat, I would be fine with it, although it would be a dream to have a bit of both!

I did look into Siamese cats actually, they seem to be an incredibly smart, loving, playful, and funny breed! Plus they're a cat you can have a conversation with, if Youtube videos are anything to judge by. But yes, they would probably be a little too much for me over time, although they look like they can be so much fun. Is the cute face in your avatar your Siamese by any chance? :)
I think it is possible to get at least some of both, especially with effort. Freya, for example, is a very active cat, but with patience and encouragement (and being almost 2 now), she comes up to me several times a day to sit on my lap and be petted and brushed. she won't stay hours, but 2-5 minutes as a sort of "I love you" greeting is the norm. She also likes to sleep against my legs, so even as an active cat, she's still a "cuddler" that way. of course, she greets me by dropping a toy next to me that I am supposed to throw at least as often.

The Avatar is Freya, although she was still in her late kittenhood, instead of "teenage" years there. She is a very fun cat (also a handful), and she actually can talk a bit like a parrot (think conure parrot, not african grey, but still...)

Here area couple of videos of her. One of her playing and saying "rat" (which means stick toy, since I usually put a stuffed rat/mouse on the end) The other is me asking her where she is when she was playing in her tunnel, and popping out to greet me with a chipper "hello", and me being so oblivious that I didn't see her right away.

With that said, mainecoons (and siberians) are beautiful and great cats, so I think you'll be quite happy with either.