What breed is Atari?

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been asked this question countless times and I still have to give the same answer. I don’t know what breed she is. Anyone on here that knows or even have a hunch and would care to share? I know her mother was a calico but no one knows what her father was.

View media item 154889

These are the three best pictures I have of her. If you want or need some more of maybe her back or something? Just let me know, She's so used to the camera now. xD

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats are no breed or breed mix. Cats have been free-breeding forever, and only a very few have been selectively bred into what we call breeds. So, she's a cat :D. A fancier name, if you prefer, is domestic shorthair. She's a very pretty cat, too. Brown tabby with white (tabby and calico are colors/patterns, not breeds). I love the shading on her nose! :clap:

Oh, yeah, I also want to say---great name!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well that solves a lot of my issues with ID-ing her then. I feel a little silly now. Thanks for the compliment on her name as well. Her nose was actually all pink as a kitten. The black kind of grew over half of it very slowly as she grew up. It was intresting to watch but at first I took her to the vet because I thought she was sick! xD

Also, because your signature mentions it, she's not de-clawed and she only ever scratches her cat house :3

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to feel silly,   Most people seem to get their concept of pets being breeds mostly from dogs,  and in dogs there has been much more selective breeding. so that in most places,  dogs usually ARE a breed or a mix of breeds.   so then people think cats must be the same way but they aren't.   You'd have to go back thousands of years in dog history to get to the landraces  before they were developed by selective breeding into the breeds we know now.     and that is the stage most cats are still at. 

In cats there also exist landraces,  and in the cat fancy there is a concept of "natural breeds"  .  Cats from certain areas especially rather isolated, sometimes have developed via random breeding into a certain type.... then later people decided to breed them to preserve them or accentuate some features in those cats.   and that is how some breeds started.   

Other cats can sometimes end up resembling those breeds;  maybe their ancestors developed in a similar environment.    or in some cases they may basically be the same kind of cats that were the foundation of the breed.    In breeds  Atari would be similar to the foundation cats that became the pedigreed American Shorthair,  though they have a more rounded ( actually a wide oval) head shape.   

She is a Brown Tabby and White...  and if I saw a photo of her side I could tell you which kind of tabby pattern.  I can't see for sure if it is classic or mackerel.  Classic would be like swirls and wide curvy markings.   Mackerel tabby is vertical stripes along the sides. 

so you would just add that word in between "Brown" and "Tabby" to get the official description. 

and I love that Atari is another cat with one tabby stocking   ( there was just another post of a cat with that. )