What breed does he look like?

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
This is my boy Anubis. I'm trying to figure out what breed he is or perhaps he's just mixed? Can any of you help me guess? Thank you :)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is my boy Anubis. I'm trying to figure out what breed he is or perhaps he's just mixed? Can any of you help me guess? Thank you

Could we have some more good pics?  He seems not so usual...  I want to be fair to him, not just  say he is a domestic shorthair - even if technically without papers it is so.

How old is he?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Could we have some more good pics?  He seems not so usual...  I want to be fair to him, not just  say he is a domestic shorthair - even if technically without papers it is so.

How old is he?
It's really hard getting a good picture because he moves too much. When I took him to the vet 2 weeks ago they estimated that he was around 6 weeks old, so I'm guessing right now he may be between 7 or 8 or maybe 9 weeks. On his chart they wrote his breed down as DMH grey..

Here are a few pictures. As I said it's hard taking a good picture of him, it's easier when he's asleep LOL hope this can give a clue, he also has a white spot of fur on his chest (just underneath his neck)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Could a have a good pic of his tail

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Òn these photos he looks like a tortie, with lotsa of spots - diluted tortie, blue and creme...  Its not so common males are torties, usually torties are female.

But it ifs wrong, he is a solid blue with a locket, a "medaljong"...   :)

The overall looks he reminds me of an Oriental, and I guess he has an oriental or a siamese among his ancestors.  Perhaps a granddad.

As non point, the looks are Oriental, but Siamese is a sibling-breed to Oriental, and siameses are more common...

Although, young kittens are often difficult to see exact what they are, it will be easier in a couple of months...

Im asking about tail, if bushy, he is medium haired yes.  If not, he isnt.

Kittens are often fuzzy, and if afraid, the fur be bigger than usual - and thus, may give the impression of a shorthair being a medium-hair...

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Could a have a good pic of his tail

How old is he?
It's really hard getting a good picture because he moves too much. When I took him to the vet 2 weeks ago they estimated that he was around 6 weeks old, so I'm guessing right now he may be between 7 or 8 or maybe 9 weeks. On his chart they wrote his breed down as DMH grey..

Here is a picture of his tail. Sorry about the poor quality. At the moment it is night time and the lighting of my room is not so great

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That photo is good enough for  our purposes.  No bushy, thus he is shorthaired.  I presume he was more baby fuzzy  at the vet visit, also a  little afraid.  As said earlier.

So he is shorthair domestic,,   DSH, not DMH.

What remains to decide, is if he is solid blue with a  locket  (that white  medaljong on his chest),  or if he has lotsa of creme spots on whole him, which would make him into a diluted tortie.

Blue is diluted black, and creme is diluted red.

Although tortie males arent common, and he is probably sterile.  (Are you entirely sure its a he?  Even experienced cat people have been know to take wrong - that is one of the reasons I do avoid to make a guesses on the frequent question about the gender,  via computer...  :)   )

As I said earlier, he looks somewhat alike an Oriental, and has probably some ancestry from that direction, a granddad, or is even a natural son to an orientale or a  siamese.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
That photo is good enough for  our purposes.  No bushy, thus he is shorthaired.  I presume he was more baby fuzzy  at the vet visit, also a  little afraid.  As said earlier.
So he is shorthair domestic,,   DSH, not DMH.

What remains to decide, is if he is solid blue with a  locket  (that white  medaljong on his chest),  or if he has lotsa of creme spots on whole him, which would make him into a diluted tortie.
Blue is diluted black, and creme is diluted red.
Although tortie males arent common, and he is probably sterile.  (Are you entirely sure its a he?  Even experienced cat people have been know to take wrong - that is one of the reasons I do avoid to make a guesses on the frequent question about the gender,  via computer...  :)   )

As I said earlier, he looks somewhat alike an Oriental, and has probably some ancestry from that direction, a granddad, or is even a natural son to an orientale or a  siamese.
Oh, he is definitely a boy! Both my vet and I were able to tell. (He's not fixed). No way we could have missed that! :lol3: I found him just 2 weeks ago and he had URI (hence the vet visit). I only jot down his sex and name, but his medicines had his estimated info which is where I saw DMH, and his estimated age. I googled medaljong" & I could totally see the resemblance!

Here is a picture of his chest. I had to take lots of them until I snapped a clear shot! LOL :)

Oh, and his fur has no spots. It's all one color! :)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, and his fur has no spots. It's all one color!
OK, that makes it easier.  No funny tortie. But a solid blue.  Which increases the possibility of a near Oriental ancestry - they are per defintion solid...

Also, having such a locket on a cat who is supposed to be solid colored, makes it "faulty" and immediately deems said kitten to be of pet quality, however purebred he is...

Thus, its not impossible he is purebred, but having this locket, the BYB breeder  got rid of him - probably sold cheaply, or even threw out...   Not nice, but such may it be here in this life...

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
OK, that makes it easier.  No funny tortie. But a solid blue.  Which increases the possibility of a near Oriental ancestry - they are per defintion solid...

Also, having such a locket on a cat who is supposed to be solid colored, makes it "faulty" and immediately deems said kitten to be of pet quality, however purebred he is...

Thus, its not impossible he is purebred, but having this locket, the BYB breeder  got rid of him - probably sold cheaply, or even threw out...   Not nice, but such may it be here in this life...
So when people ask me what breed he is I can say he's oriental? Or at this point is he still an unidentifed breed? People who see him tell me he looks like a Russian blue, others say he just looks like a regular cat with gray/blue fur LOL - so I googled oriental cat breed and I see how he can have some ancestry! Only difference is that I saw orientals have a longer face, and my boy has a shorter but pointy face. I found him sleeping next to a trash can at a plaza all skin and bones, I asked around if they knew if he belonged to anyone but they told me he was most likely abandoned because they never see animals roaming around the plaza, especially that small. :( but I brought him home and he is on medicine and he's recovering now! :)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So when people ask me what breed he is I can say he's oriental? Or at this point is he still an unidentifed breed? People who see him tell me he looks like a Russian blue, others say he just looks like a regular cat with gray/blue fur LOL - so I googled oriental cat breed and I see how he can have some ancestry! Only difference is that I saw orientals have a longer face, and my boy has a shorter but pointy face. I found him sleeping next to a trash can at a plaza all skin and bones, I asked around if they knew if he belonged to anyone but they told me he was most likely abandoned because they never see animals roaming around the plaza, especially that small.
but I brought him home and he is on medicine and he's recovering now!
Him being perhaps a purebred of pet qualtiy - the locket!  is mostly a speculation.  Even if its not impossible. Even - quite possible.

When people ask, he is a domestic, somewhat look alike of an Oriental, possibly with some ancestry... That you can say.

Yes, modern Orientals do have even longer muzzles, but these you see in books are almost all show quality...  You dont  see the pet quality as produced by BYB, whom perhaps have some older type Oriental as their  Matriarch or Patriarch...Anyways, its one of the reason we cant pinpoint he is an abandoned Oriental, we must speculate...

I see you both won the high win on the lottery - he got saved and got a good home, and you got a real friend, whom may even be some sort of an Oriental...

What others pay 1000 dollar for, you found on this Piaza...