What Breed Do You Think My Cat Is?

Gattina3107

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hHi everyone,

about 7 weeks ago we got our stray cat Sammy from a Spanish organization. I instantly fell in love with him. I've always owned siamese cats and wasn't prepared for his temperament.

He's about 1 1/2- 2 years old. Apparently he was abandoned on the streets in Spain and was found and taken to a shelter. He's very very affectionate, wild, athletic, inquisitive, smart, even has dog-like features like bringing his toy to play etc. He's talkative but not as much as a Siamese cat. The people we got him from said he's a Siamese-Mix. I googled it and found the Lynx Point Siamese that look a lot like him. His hair is short but a little rough, he has black paws and his feet are white, a pink nose with a black rim and his eyes seem to be a genetic defect. They're washed out blue with yellow. Our vet had never seen anything like this.

Maybe you can give me some insights on his genetics. I also thought he could be a White silver mackarel tabby but he also has some brown in his stripes. Here are some pictures of our handsome guy!

Thank you so much!!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gattina3107

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whilst you're waiting for answers from the wise ones I'd just like to say he's a strikingly handsome boy. But you already know that. :hearthrob::redheartpump:
Thank you so much!!! Our 12 year old siamese love Charlie passed away on April 30th and left such a big hole in our lives that I couldn't wait to get a new one. When I searched the web for a rescue I couldn't believe my eyes on how beautiful he is. It's like Charlie sent us the perfect match to fill his shoes.... he's a handful but he's so worthy :-D

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sammy does have a wonderful unique look to him! My best guess of his color is seal lynx point and white, which would make him a seal lynx point and white domestic shorthair. Most cats are not any particular breed.

Here is an article about pointed cats' blue eye color that you may find interesting:
Siamese Eye Colors
Some pointed cats do have eye color that is more white than blue, and may even have a bit of warmer color at the edge of the eye. This may have something to do with having underlying copper eye color genetics, as the article suggests. You typically won't see eyes like Sammy's in a Siamese cat, as Siamese breeders select for deep blue eyes, but it is a possible eye color for pointed cats and I don't believe it indicates a "defect" of any kind.

The recessive gene for the pointed pattern originally came from the Siamese about 70 years ago, but at this time it is widespread in the domestic cat gene pool, so the pointed pattern doesn't necessarily indicate recent Siamese ancestry. However, Sammy does have some structural features that suggest Siamese ancestry; he appears to be generally leggy cat with a relativey long straight profile, wedge shaped head, and fairly large ears that angle outwards, continuing the triangular wedge shape of his head. Although he isn't a purebred example of any breed, he may have recent ancestry from some breed in the Siamese/Oriental family, or he may just have inherited more than the usual share of the Siamese family genes that are distributed throughout the gene pool.