What breed do u think my gus gus is?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's adorable! I would describe him as a lynx point and white domestic longhair. From the pictures, I am not sure if he is seal lynx point or blue lynx point; my first guess would be blue lynx point, but the color will become easier to determine as he develops and his coat darkens. Most cats are not any particular breed.

Looking at your other thread about the whole litter, the mother cat appears to be a calico domestic shorthair. It looks like the litter consists of two red tabby and white kittens, one brown tabby and white kitten, and two lynx point and white kittens, is that right?
It's great that you have an appointment for mom to be spayed on the 20th. The kittens are old enough to be spayed and neutered when you have mom done, you could call the vet and see if you can do them all at the same time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sharlena-

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes the mother is calico, theres 2 orange, 2 white and one calico I'm guessing? Shes brown with white and orange on her fur?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes the mother is calico, theres 2 orange, 2 white and one calico I'm guessing? Shes brown with white and orange on her fur?
The picture I saw looked like a brown tabby kitten, but it could be patched tabby / torbie and white if there are also red tabby patches? Do you mean this kitten?
20200708_154533.jpg

Sharlena-

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I was just guessing cause she had the same colors but I dont know lol, she has beautiful orange patches on her but they dont stand out alot if that makes sense

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you take more pictures of that kitten, we can help you figure out if the orange areas are red tabby patches, or if they are part of the brown tabby pattern :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "white" ones are both lynx point (also known as tabby point). Pointed kittens are born white, but darken as they get older, especially at the points (nose, ears, feet, and tail). They will continue to gradually get darker as they grow into mature adulthood.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I see Cleo's red patches now! I would describe her color as brown patched classic tabby and white; an equivalent way to describe it is brown classic torbie and white. "Classic tabby" refers to her tabby pattern which has swirly "bullseye" markings on her side.

Scotia is either seal lynx point (does she also have some white on her feet?) or seal torbie point, if she has red tabby patches. It looks like she might have a red patch on her tail. Her coloring will be easier to see as she gets older and darkens up.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like Scotia is seal torbie point and white, with that white foot and the red patch on her left ear :)

Sharlena-

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I love the patch on her ear :)so do you think gus gus is seal point as well

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess would be blue lynx point and white for him, but it's hard to say for sure from the pictures.

Sharlena-

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A seal point is that a ragdoll?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, color is not the same as breed. Ragdoll is a breed, while seal point is a color and pattern. Pointed cats (seal point, blue point, etc.) have two copies of a recessive gene called "colorpoint." Many generations ago (about 70 years ago), this recessive gene got into the general cat population from the Siamese breed, but at this time it is very widespread in the population, and doesn't indicate recent breed ancestry. Since you have two pointed kittens in your litter, we know that both the mother and father cat carry this recessive gene.

Most cats aren't any particular breed, they simply have their own combination of genes which produce different colors and traits (long or short hair, etc). You can see in your own litter how the various genes combine to give a rainbow of different colors and patterns... there is lots of variety in domestic cats :)

Sharlena-

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ooohh okay thanks!