What Breed Could My Tabby Be Mixed With?

Rezlily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am 30 and have had cats for years. About three years ago, I found an abandoned tiny tabby kitten on thanksgiving left sitting in the hallway of my apartment building where it was freezing cold. I took her in, tried to rehome her, but then my father met her and decided he loved her and wanted to keep her with his tuxedo cat, Choice. We named the tabby, Violet.

Violet is very strange and before he passed my dad would always say it is like his cat and Violet are two different species. She is crazy active and is super vocal, she plays fetch, she swings around the house by her paws akin to a monkey, she seems short and is thin but can stretch to these CRAZY LENGTHS like she is made of a liquid, despite eating constantly she stays small. Since my dad passed Violet, Choice and I have moved in with a tortoise shell cat named Robin (my boyfriend's cat) and the difference between Violet and Choice and Robin is even more jarring. Violet and Robin are the same age and their activity level and size can't be more stark in contrast.

I was just hoping someone could give me some insight on her. Is she just a weird American shorthair tabby or could there be something else in her genes. My dad and I always had a running joke at home that she was part monkey.

Attachments

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is very nice, but I think she is a domestic short hair, to put it bluntly. Brown broken mackerel tabby.

Although there are enough with spots some will have her counted as a spotted tabby.

She just got a gene combo which makes her more moveable, more lively than most other cats.

A gift from Above. :)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She's cute! She'd be called a brown broken mackeral tabby Domestic Shorthair. Not American Shorthair, I know it's kind of confusing, but that's a registered breed: Breed Profile: The American Shorthair

One of the things I love about Domestic Shorthairs is that their personalities varies so much! Some are more chill, others, like Violet are super athletic. My aunt had a DSH cat who could jump from the floor to the top of a door in one standing leap.