What breed/colouration?

nicolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I have a (somewhat) new kitty and I'm wondering if anyone knows what breed he might be.

When I got his moma, her previous owner told me that she was a mix of holy birman and maine coon. I'm just wondering if she was telling the truth or not.

After all, she did sell me a shy, mistreated, PREGNANT cat! 

This is her son that I recently got back from the person I sold him too. (she was a friend of mine, but she didn't take care of him properly)

He's a very big cat, so I think he might have some large breed in him, like maine coon. And his pattern do suggest holy birman. 

But I have no idea of what the breed of the father was so I'm just curious if there might be something else.

Here's a picture of his mom. She's a tiny thing <3

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting cats!   The first is quite apparently a pointed, and tabby,  called for lynx when pointed, with white.

Has also some white, so possibly a so called mitted. 

The second is not an apparent point, seems to be a tabby and white,  BUT the blue eyes betray her.   So she must be a point she too, and that much white, verry mitted, makes her masque isnt  clearly visible.

Im not sure of the best way to describe it.  Lynx point and white bicolor?

Re parentage anything may go. but as both birma and maine coon are longhaired, their childrens should be longahaired too.   Also, the point gene is not common among pure bred manecoons.

So my guess, the parents were looka alikes, not pure breds, respectively.

Good luck!

more photos are welcome, I see with a second glance her body is reddish, not the same tabby nuance as the face...

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What sweet cats! As StefanZ says, your definitely looks a lot like a lynx point... though the white paws and nose spots are very interesting. It's almost like he's a combination of our snowshoe and lynx mixes, all in one cat! Most important, he looks like a great cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ   Thank you! I always thought that it was weird that she was short haired when shes supposed to have those breeds in her. 

The last owner wasn't really trustworthy and I'm pretty sure she didn't really know too much about Tundras background.

@LisaHE  Thanks! They're amazing cats! Both of them <3

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I little improvement Re the second cat, the mother.   I wrote her masque isnt clearly visible, as is common with bicolors.   I suspect that is only in half truth.  Looking twice on the photo, I see her  body,  although out of focus, is in a reddish color.  Probably roughly the same siamese body coloring as her son has...

And thus, true, she hasnt not the typical siamese masque, but its the tabby on her face, who are the masque...   A nice example of not seeing the wood because of the threes, as the swedish proverbs says.

Otherwise, I think my analysis as such stands.  Although GemsGem or BiancaVD can surely fill in some fine details.   :)

Last edited:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You have 2 wonderful cats, congratulations! And it's sad to hear you had to take the son back because he wasn't taken care of properly, but I'm also happy that you did because it shows how much you care about your cats.

Looking at both cats, I can't see any resemblances with a maine coon or a birman. Is it possible that instead of the birman, she meant to say burmese? They don't look like a spot-on Burmese cat, but if she said a burmese was in there somewhere along the line, I wouldn't disbelieve her either. And birman/burmese do sound alike, so who knows ;) Also, if you have a full body picture, preferred with the cat standing up, that would be great too, as the body can say a lot about a cat's breed, specially if you want us to see if there could be a maine coon in there.

For coloring it has pretty much already been said. The son (the one you asked about) is definitely a point. If I had to say the coloring the way I learned to say it, I'd say Seal Tabby Point with White. I also think I see the tabby pattern to be Mackerel, but I can't see it very clear, so I wouldn't go for it yet (It's hard to see on points). For points, their coloring continues to develop over years and he'll probably end up with a body as dark, if not darker, as his mother's.

Last edited:

nicolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ  The mother has the same colour as the son, it just doesn't show in that picture. :)

What makes the mother and son different, apart from the size, is their faces. Hers is flatter with rounder eyes.

The son has a more pointed face with almond eyes. 

Last edited:

nicolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Biancavd  Thank you so much! I've tried to get him back for some time, but it didn't work. Because I sold him to a good friend I didn't feel it was necessary to have a written contract.

We are not friends any more, as you might imagine. I only got him back now because another friend of mine saw that he was being sold! So I gave her the money to buy him back for me.

I am 100% sure that she said birman, but as I wrote before, she wasn't really trustworthy... I only thought that part was true because of their faces and their stripy legs.

Here's a full body picture of the son. You can't really see how big he is. He's bigger then my (what used to be) biggest cat, who's a, soon to be, 9 year old  SHD tabby.

Considering he's not even a year and a half yet!

Here's another picture of the son

And here is a full body picture of the mom

And another

The mother has gotten a lot darker since I got her. She was only ten months when she came to me and now she's almost two and a half.