What breed are my two kittens

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are correct on the coloring of the black kitty. They both would be considered domestic long hairs. The coloring of the kitty in the 2nd pic would blue with white. Blue is the term for grey basically. I think you could also call him a high white with blue. As far as a lookalike the black one is a little young to really make a good guess. He doesn't look to be more than 8 weeks if that. The blue and white if I were to make a guess I would lean toward Siberian. It looks to be around 3 or 4 months old. The ears look a little large for Siberian but he/she might grow into them and the muzzle looks a little narrow but, that could change as it gets older. Keep in mind Siberian is a guess based on what I see and others opinions may differ. You could do DNA test on them and it may be helpful though not conclusive. I would suggest reposting when they get older and we could make a better guess when they're more developed. Hope this helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenny D

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you it helps a lot. You were dead on tuxedo is 8 weeks but the white and grey is only 10 weeks old.

Attachments

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! Only 10 weeks. It looks biggish for 10 weeks. Like almost twice as big as the tuxedo. It could be the pics deceiving me but, that could be a indicator of big breed ancestry. Your big breeds are Maine Coons, Norwegian Forest Cats, Siberians and Ragdolls. If you look up TICA and CFA breed standards on each you'll find a wealth of information. I would start with Siberian first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenny D

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm looking Siberian up. I actually thought it was a Norwegian when I saw his eyes and face. Yeah I think it's the picture because he weighs around a pound. He fits in my palm. Where I got him actually called today and said they finally caught the mother of his litter and she was Persian. I'm no cat expert but I see no Persian in him.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I admit I'm stumped! 1lb at 10 weeks is tiny and he looks healthy. Typically males are larger than females. His size doesn't indicate a big breed. I got curious and did find something interesting by searching small longhaired cat breeds. Cat breeds: British Semi-longhair cat, Characteristics
These are recognized by TICA as a breed though the pics on the TICA site look more like a Persian than the cat pictured in the link above. However anything could be possible if by chance a Persian somehow ended up in a feral colony.

Standard thinking in general is that your not going to get a purebred or cross breed from a rescue or, it is highly unlikely.
I've done a good bit of research on it and tend to disagree somewhat. I'm finding that there are a growing number of rescues "dedicated" to purebred rescue. I don't think a lot of people are aware of this. A lot of these are from people who find themselves in financial despair, health crisis, etc and can no longer care for the pet. I found that there are rescues that are taking in purebred rescues from the middle east and Europe so it could be possible to get a purebred that may not be typical of the US. Then there are the purebreds that are coming in from overseas from basically back yard breeders and they're breeding all kinds of different breeds and shipping them to the US. Some come with papers and some don't. My guess is that this is where a lot of US BYB's are getting purebred cats. Add to that god knows how many back yard breeders exist in the US and what percentage of them get dumped into the system because they couldn't sell the cats and it's not cost effective to keep them. A good example of what I'm talking about is this: purebred cat rescue - Bing video

I've only been researching this for the past few months when time permits but what I've found so far is somewhat shocking. Having said that...I'm not saying you have a purebred cat or even a crossbreed but, hopefully this may point you in a direction. There's no way to tell for absolute sure without papers or some concrete background such as who both the parents were etc.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert either!...lol

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both are domestic longhairs. I dont see any persian either. But the be honest cat genetics is just crazy lol. You can have longhair kittens from shorthair parents as long as they have the longhair gene.