What breed are my cats?

gabigowriel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everybody!

I've been trying to acces a forum just to find out YOUR opinion,the more experienced in cats, but haven't been so succesfull on "another forum",for unknown causes...

So here goes my question on this forum:

what breed are my cats?

You can see them in these photos, the redish one is a tomcat , old, one of my favourites and the second one is a cat "saved" from a friend wich ,he also saved an abandoned  pitbull dog from a gas station on his way to a seaside vacantion...

Problem is, the "little doggie" got well, BIG and agressive...

So the yard became "too small" for them both, although there are 300 square meters in it...

If you can tell me at least in % what kind of cats I have , I'll appreciate it!

Thank you so much!

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What beautiful cats ! Your boy is a beautiful red and your girl is a blue tortie.

They are both domestic longhairs

Most cats are NOT any particular breed or even mix of breeds, unlike dogs that have had much more human control over their breeding. So much so that about half the population of dogs are purebreds, and even most mutts have some pure breed dogs in their ancestry.
But cats are totally different, they have not had the human control so much over their breeding. That most of cat population have random bred on their own with other cats in the same area. Which means very few, if any have any pedigree ancestors.

So if you want a % to the kind of cats you have. At a guess I would say probably about 98% domestic longhair

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gabigowriel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:-) thank you for you answer GemsGem! I also have a border collie,very smart dog!

I used to also have fish ,two 30 gallon tanks,but gave them up about 3 weeks ago,because I don't have much time anymore to care for them and instead of suffering I donated them to a guy who wanted so much fish and aquariums!

The female cat has a small "bump" on the right side of her body!I noticed it today in the morning  when I was petting her!It seems like a lump of fat or similar...

What do you think could be?

I had years ago a cat wich developed a tumor at the neck!

Every veterinary I went to , told me to just give up on her, it will die...

I couldn't do that, no matter what!I cared for her ,even giving her antibiotics inserted in small meat pieces and she got well, the lump/tumor  dissapeared in about 2 months! I can't believe tumors in cat can be that common!

I'll have a go with this cat too at a veterinary!

The previous cat was scared  when going to the veterinary,and only in a covered cage could the "Trip" be made! The female cat I have now is so calm and relaxed that even when a friend of mine ,several streets(about 1 km away from me),told me that  my cat was in his yard, and I went to "fetch her", she stood so calm in my arms on the way back home that I couldn't believe it myself!

I never understood how she got so far away from the house, because she never went far from the house ,when out to "do her needs" in the backyard!

I hope I want lose her again ,although she gets plenty of food at my place,a nice "nest" in  an armchair and plenty of petting anytime I see her!

Cheers!

]View media item 197772
]View media item 197773

Last edited by a moderator:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, both the cats and dogs are gorgeous! I have a soft spot for the long haired gingers though. :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hi.  You have two lovely fluffy long haired domestic cats there, and the blue tortie colouring and shading of your female's coat is very attractive.  They have a lovely shape to their eyes and face.  Your Border Collie looks very healthy with a great coat!  The collies I have met always try to herd everything in sight, do the cats get rounded up? 

You mention that you have noticed a lump on your tortie girl's side:  I can understand if this makes you very anxious given your previous experience (and the vet's attitude) but it is important to get such things looked at quickly by a vet.  It could be a sebaceous cyst, an infection from a bite, scar tissue or some type of tumour but these are not all cancerous, fast growing or life threatening.  The only way you are likely to find out what it is is for a vet to see her and examine it, and the sooner this is done - if it needs treatment the better that will be for your cat.  It will be useful to know if she seemed to react in any way when you touched the lump as it is more likely to cause her pain if there is an infection of some kind under the skin.  Of course all hopes are what ever the cause of this lump is that it is not serious in any way.  Please build up the courage to take her to the vet.  It is a good thing that she is calm when you travel with her.

bertanuk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They're beautiful! They look like American long hair to me that might have been mixed with some angora or other long hair breed. ....no matter....jyst enjiy their love and companionship!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gabigowriel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi.  You have two lovely fluffy long haired domestic cats there, and the blue tortie colouring and shading of your female's coat is very attractive.  They have a lovely shape to their eyes and face.  Your Border Collie looks very healthy with a great coat!  The collies I have met always try to herd everything in sight, do the cats get rounded up? 

You mention that you have noticed a lump on your tortie girl's side:  I can understand if this makes you very anxious given your previous experience (and the vet's attitude) but it is important to get such things looked at quickly by a vet.  It could be a sebaceous cyst, an infection from a bite, scar tissue or some type of tumour but these are not all cancerous, fast growing or life threatening.  The only way you are likely to find out what it is is for a vet to see her and examine it, and the sooner this is done - if it needs treatment the better that will be for your cat.  It will be useful to know if she seemed to react in any way when you touched the lump as it is more likely to cause her pain if there is an infection of some kind under the skin.  Of course all hopes are what ever the cause of this lump is that it is not serious in any way.  Please build up the courage to take her to the vet.  It is a good thing that she is calm when you travel with her.
:-) Yeah, they're fluffy allright! I love them both and enjoy petting them! The female is like a ball of furr,that big is the coat on her! The red tomcat is fluffy too but not at all like the female!A neighbout told me I must SURELY prepare for some kittens when he saw my cat, not happened so far;she's just huge from the hair on her! The border collie is a real nutter!He loves to run in the yard, loves my tomcat(never bites him,he just pushes him with the nose when wants to play),but he doesn't likes my female cat!Actually he doesn't likes any cat besides my red tomcat! I'll probably never know why...

The border collie and the red tomcat usually come with me in the yard when it's snowy for a walk(that small gate you see there in the pictures with the collie goes to *THE YARD* wich the dogs absolutely loves it! Pees all over the place, runs for 10 minutes like mad, and if it's a lot of snow like it happened in february 2012 when it was 3 meters high,almost burried the house, he'll "swim" through until he drops "dead" of fatique...

The tomcat is usually around him, they play "catch me if you can"...

The female's lump is hurting her when I squeeze it , I only did it once, and she obviously didn't like it! The localy veterinary(I mean really LOCALY , it's my neighbour's wife , said it's  probably cancerous tumour, benign , and if I want to , it should be removed by surgery...

I'm a bit confused and hesitant to do that...

If in time will get bigger I'll surely get the cat to Buzau, where they do these kind of things...

Ramnicu-Sarat is a small town, and not many good veterinaries around here...

If she'd be anymore calmer than she is now , she'd probably be asleep!

A really funny cat to watch her behaviour!

:-)

loopycann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,you have a beautiful little animal family there.Your border collie is adorable.Well the female cat looks like she might have some Siberian judging from the shape
Of her head.lovely calico.The ginger kitty well he's definitely part Siberian.Both gorgeous.If they wander don't you think it might be safer to keep them in or at least under watchful eye ?i keep my cats in now when I read the average life span of an outdoor cat is 2-5 years and for a indoor cat 12-18 years!!! Made me think!You have 3 quite wonderful kids there.good luck to you!