What brand of wet food should I feed my cat? (pic included)

Brand of wet food to buy

• Wellness

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fancy Feast

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Life's Abundance

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • (Something else)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The best thing to feed your cat is to give them 90% raw meat and, because raw meat doesn't have all the things cat needs, live it a half or handful of Royal Canin cat food. But if you sterilize the cat, you have to feed with food for sterilized cats only. If your cat's mouth smells bad, then feed it like this.
A 100% raw meat diet can be done
You just need to know how to do that, whether by using a recipie and add supplements or pre model or commerical raw pet food.

Dry food should never be fed with raw food. The slow digestion rate of dry food combined with the fast digestion rate of raw food means an upset tummy for the cat.

A special diet is not necessary for neutered or spayed cats.

A bad mouth smell usually indicates dental problems and needs to be treated by a vet.

dway

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually, if you give a home made raw duet, it must be balanced. Raw meat alone isn't good. It needs bone for calcium; plus vitamin E 400, fish oil, and an organ meat 2 or 3 times a week. It's modeling wild prey diet which is complete and balanced. Also, look into Primal Pet Food and Nature's Variety Instinct raw diets, it takes the work out of it. And really, there is nothing wrong with dry food, it depends on what kind. Look at  Orijen, Wellness Core, and Nature's Variety Instinct dry with freeze dried raw in it as well. The primary downfall to feeding dry food to a cat is, they tend not to get enough water, especially if feeding a higher quality grain free food. I've been lucky. But, a pet fountain will solve that problem most often. Even after I got one my cats drink more water. If your cat likes dry, I suggest get her a pet fountain and get her the best and healthiest dry food you can afford to get and works for her, starting off at the recommended amount and supplement her with a raw or can when you get home. Weruva cans are of good respectable quality and are nutritious and very easy on the stomach. This stuff I learned from holistic Vetcare. My pets see the Vet, once every 3 years with a perfect bill of health. May I add, I have almost 0 shedding as long as I brush them out once a week. God Bless, 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A 100% raw meat diet can be done
You just need to know how to do that, whether by using a recipie and add supplements or pre model or commerical raw pet food.

Dry food should never be fed with raw food. The slow digestion rate of dry food combined with the fast digestion rate of raw food means an upset tummy for the cat.
Well, if you add supplements then it isn't 100% raw meat anymore.  However, I understand what you meant that one can simply use raw boneless meat and make a complete and balanced food using premixes.  Or a homemade but balanced premix.

Dry food can be fed with raw for some cats.  There are schools of thought with regards to digestion rates, but this mainly due to concerns about bacteria as well as some cats having IBD/IBS and their problems with digestion rates (diarrhea or constipation prone).

dway

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One thing about it is like my vet says, we make it more complicated than what's needed. When feeding raw meat, it must be balanced with calcium. You can feed raw and dry. It needs to be done at separate times of the day. Also, tripe of some sort and pumpkin will balance out the gut. Also, it is not practical to feed all meat diet even with bone because store bought meat, even free range doesn't have as many nutrients as real wild pray. Keep in mind, I was educated on this by the holistic Vet and the field biologist in his office part time. I have a Border Collie, an Aussie, a Wolf Hybrid, a East German  German Shepherd,  a ally cat, a bobcat, a Siberian, and an siamese. They all eat the same thing, never get sick and on the same rotations.  And the people I've submitted this to have had mostly instant success and complete.

Keep in mind, the dry foods I feed have a 86-94 percent digestibility rate which they absorb the food and don't hold it in there systems for long periods.  Like it or not, you can give a good dry food and supplement with raw and no vitamin supplements or oils because the dry will give the pet all he needs in that area. I do that a lot and then sometimes I do raw a week or two and vise versa. When I don't have time, Ifeed dry and ssupplement with  Primal or Nature's Variety raw which is very easy. I'm not prideful, but it's a fact that my pets are the most beautiful in the neighborhood in terms of looks, visibly. We see the Vet once every 3 years.   And really, you can't go wrong with foods like Orijen, back to basics, Evo,  Nature's Variet, and  Greatlife dry foods. Just get a fountain of you can. A lot of people still don't have one and still have cats that are in immaculate condition. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starbuk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

One thing about it is like my vet says, we make it more complicated than what's needed. When feeding raw meat, it must be balanced with calcium. You can feed raw and dry. It needs to be done at separate times of the day. Also, tripe of some sort and pumpkin will balance out the gut. Also, it is not practical to feed all meat diet even with bone because store bought meat, even free range doesn't have as many nutrients as real wild pray. Keep in mind, I was educated on this by the holistic Vet and the field biologist in his office part time. I have a Border Collie, an Aussie, a Wolf Hybrid, a East German  German Shepherd,  a ally cat, a bobcat, a Siberian, and an siamese. They all eat the same thing, never get sick and on the same rotations.  And the people I've submitted this to have had mostly instant success and complete.

Keep in mind, the dry foods I feed have a 86-94 percent digestibility rate which they absorb the food and don't hold it in there systems for long periods.  Like it or not, you can give a good dry food and supplement with raw and no vitamin supplements or oils because the dry will give the pet all he needs in that area. I do that a lot and then sometimes I do raw a week or two and vise versa. When I don't have time, Ifeed dry and ssupplement with  Primal or Nature's Variety raw which is very easy. I'm not prideful, but it's a fact that my pets are the most beautiful in the neighborhood in terms of looks, visibly. We see the Vet once every 3 years.   And really, you can't go wrong with foods like Orijen, back to basics, Evo,  Nature's Variet, and  Greatlife dry foods. Just get a fountain of you can. A lot of people still don't have one and still have cats that are in immaculate condition. 
Thanks dway for the comments.  It would be much easier to be able to go back to dry food for a couple days so that when I leave my home to visit parents, she can eat without having someone come and check on her.  To compound the problem I do not freefeed and am not sure how she will react to having food left out all day.  That being said, it is hard to have someone reliably come in twice a day to feed the cat for a couple days.

Are you suggesting to definitely get a fountain if you feed dry, get a fountain no matter what or that a fountain is not necessary?  Not sure if I understand the wording in your last couple of sentences.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I hope your vet mentioned liver, some source of iodine, taurine, and etc when balancing a homemade diet.  I agree that making homemade cat food isn't rocket science, but it's scary how badly some people still mess it up.

Are the dry foods advertising a digestibility rate now?

Last edited:

dway

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I do use liver when I do homemade raw diet exclusively. But not only liver, but tripe,  heart, lungs, and kidney, when I can get my hands on them. As far as dry food go's I ask and double check digestibility rates with companies. When I'm doing raw exclusively, I only give organ meet 2 or 3 a week. But you do know, pre-made raw diets like Nature's Variety Instinct, Primal, and Stella&Chewys are 100percent complete, right. When using the dry foods that I use, and or the regimen I use, has to be in balance so far as a pets weight and tolerance. Most of mine, I can switch back and forth cold turkey. A couple I have to transition back and forth. Just know your own pets. I try not to be extreme at either end. I try to be balanced. But, there are people who don't or can't do what I do  and have somewhat healthy pets. I know people who feed cat chow and pedigree, and there pets do ok, at least for a few years, seemingly. Some do spend a lot of time at Vets Office, go figure. Have a wonderful day folks.  

dway

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand. I don't free feed either. The food I feed is rich and a couple of my feline kids are greedy. But, you may want to buy a automatic feeder if you don't mind spending the money and or can. Also, who ever comes to feed, just have them to give the cat its daily portion once a day. It's just for a couple of days. A pet fasting a half a day sometimes is actually good for them. I do fast my animals 24 hours once every 2 weeks. But you may consider one time a day for the time your gone or an automatic electric feeder.  I hope you find a solution. 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Ummm, looks like this thread is turning into a discussion of how to feed raw properly. It's a perfectly legitimate discussion but belongs in a different forum.

I see that @starbuk  started a thread in the raw feeding forum, so if you have any raw-related advice, please visit her thread here - 

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/284806

Thank you! 

Status
Not open for further replies.