What Bengal Features Do My Half-bengals Have?

Do they have a lot of Bengal features?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

• Just a little

• Total voters

Flygandefarmor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. My family and I have two sibling, nine months old, half-Bengals called Tosca and Fedora. The person we bought them from told us their female Bengal had gotten pregnant from a random neighborhood cat and that they had no idea who that cat might be.(They lived on a tiny island so not that many options:))
We were wondering firstly: How much of the Bengal can you see in them?
And secondly: Is it possible to see any features from another race/get an idea what their father might look like?

Tosca:

Fedora:
BD28DB67-177B-4FF5-AF33-5C47A160CB26.jpeg
2CD61BF0-6EB0-422F-A45B-F3FBEFC6B853.jpeg
60D32A03-B396-41D5-8237-8CB1F9D5E748.png
C2D9CB6D-B695-4FF9-BC06-A45E661C3A65.png

Them together:
92290AB3-7BF6-4D03-AA4E-14D1DD7C8664.jpeg
5EEC6569-8955-4674-93B2-46105EABD498.jpeg
5A0B6120-42E7-4513-AD77-A51A44D27147.png

Their mother:
AA6853C4-35D2-4658-9B24-2A7B964B3F63.jpeg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tosca and Fedora are very cute!

I would describe the one with spots and stripes as brown broken mackerel tabby and white ("broken mackerel" refers to a pattern with stripes that are partially broken up into spots), and I would describe the one with swirling patterns as brown classic tabby and white. Assuming that the Bengal in the picture is their mother (and she does indeed appear to be a Bengal), you can accurately describe them as Bengal mixes.

As far as how much Bengal influence they display... actually, not a whole lot, which is pretty normal for cats that have just one purebred parent.
- It is more obvious that the classic tabby has Bengal ancestry, because the dark parts of his/her classic tabby pattern are dark around the edges and lighter in the center. This feature is similar to rosetted spots.
- It is not as obvious for the broken mackerel tabby, however I think there may be a bit of rosetting on the spots on his/her flanks... it's hard to tell for sure in the pictures.
- Note that not all spotted Bengals are rosetted (they aren't required to be rosetted)... but generally if a cat does have rosettes, it has Bengal ancestry. Spots alone are not an indication of Bengal ancestry.

Here is what we can say about their father:
- We know he had white markings, since this is the result of a dominant gene.
- He carried at least one copy of the gene for classic tabby pattern.
- If either or both of your kittens are girls, we can also deduce that their father was NOT red (orange) in color, as if he had been red, you would expect all of his daughters to have red/orange patches.

Other than that, their father could have been nearly any color with white markings... he could have been brown tabby and white, blue tabby and white, black and white, blue and white, or even pointed and white! Also, he could have been either longhair or shorthair. Most cats are not any particular breed, so he would probably have been a domestic shorthair or domestic longhair.

catman187

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi F Flygandefarmor , what adorable little kitties! I see so much bengal in them! My Henry is half bengal and doesn't look half as bengal as those two beauties. To be honest, most cats don't have any specific breed, but in this case I feel pretty strongly that these two are mostly bengal. I actually wouldn't be surprised if their daddy wasn't half bengal himself! Cheers to your new kitties!

Butterflies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh wow this confirms for me that my baby is half bengal too. A vet told me that she was tabby because of the M on forehead and yellow eyes so that may be the other half of yours as well

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh wow this confirms for me that my baby is half bengal too. A vet told me that she was tabby because of the M on forehead and yellow eyes so that may be the other half of yours as well
Respectfully, the only thing that truly confirms Bengal (or any other purebred) ancestry is registration papers or the parents' papers.

Why do you think your kitty is a Bengal?

Butterflies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yes I get what your saying. Just based on flygandefarmor’s post I was able to confirm. My little girl had the same coloring so I’m sure she is half bengal or at lest partial.
Thanks for your thoughts

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do see a good bit of Bengal in them, but it could just be I'm looking for it because of the info given. If I was just given the pics with no background I would probably just say brown and white tabby domestic short hairs. Fedora looks very similar to my mom's half Bengal when he was younger only with white. The mother was a Bengal, and father was a black domestic short hair in that case.

Tabby is a pattern not a breed, and although all tabbies patterns do have an M on the forehead, they can have any color eyes not just yellow.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little girl had the same coloring so I’m sure she is half bengal or at lest partial.
B Butterflies , your girl's color doesn't appear to be the same; your girl (as posted in your other thread) appears to be a brown classic tabby and white without unusual features. Brown classic tabby and white is one of the most common colors that we see in the domestic cat, and doesn't indicate any particular breed.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yes I get what your saying. Just based on flygandefarmor’s post I was able to confirm. My little girl had the same coloring so I’m sure she is half bengal or at lest partial.
Thanks for your thoughts
No, I saw your photo in the other thread. As lutece lutece and others have said, your girl has a classic marbled tabby and white pattern, which is quite common in the general domestic cat population and doesn't indicate any Bengal ancestry. Bengals display tabby coat patterns, so that can be confusing, but the vast majority of tabbies are not Bengals. So nothing about the OP's post actually confirms anything about your lovely little girl except that she too has a lovely classic tabby pattern!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Just saw your little cutie, she does appear to be a tabby with some Bengal in her. Her coat is incredibly shinny.

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Woah, they're stunning :redheartpump:
Tosca's marbling pattern looks a lot like my bengal's marbles! I see quite a bit of bengal in them, they're quite the lookers :)