What Are Your Favorite Grooming Tools For Shedding Season?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This year's shedding/hairball season has been worse than usual, and we're on a quest to find the Holy Grail of cat grooming tools. :)

The brushes and combs we have on hand don't seem to be helping enough, and I'm afraid of overusing the Furminator and irritating their skin. Plus, both cats are prone to skin allergies, so we try to avoid using anything made of cheap plastic that could cause a flare-up.

What works best for you and your cats?

Also, is it possible to overgroom your cat? And if so, what can you do about it if the damage has already been done? This is the first really bad shedding/hairball season we've had in ages, and I'm just concerned that in my zeal to get one problem under control, I may accidentally create another one. :wink:

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really like the Kong Zoom Groom, it's a little messy and the fur kind of flies all over the place in the beginning until you get a solid coating of it on the brush, but it gets loose hairs off better than anything else I've used. I usually go over my guy with a slicker brush at the end of the session to get the hairs sitting on top of the fur that the it can leave behind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like the Kong Zoom Groom, it's a little messy and the fur kind of flies all over the place in the beginning until you get a solid coating of it on the brush, but it gets loose hairs off better than anything else I've used. I usually go over my guy with a slicker brush at the end of the session to get the hairs sitting on top of the fur that the it can leave behind.
Oh, I've seen those at Petmart! They're just so small, I didn't think they'd be that effective. I'll have to give it try. Thanks!

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For what it's worth, I use a card - lots of little bent steel teeth that pick up loose hairs neatly. It may not be the right tool for your cats, but it works splendidly on my shorthair, at any season. The one I have has a plate at the bottom of the teeth that can be pushed up to remove the hairs captured.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For what it's worth, I use a card - lots of little bent steel teeth that pick up loose hairs neatly. It may not be the right tool for your cats, but it works splendidly on my shorthair, at any season. The one I have has a plate at the bottom of the teeth that can be pushed up to remove the hairs captured.
Would you happen to have a link so I can see what it looks like? I'm not too good and trying to visualize things. ;-)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know how to post a link to it.. but, just Google: Kong's Zoom Groom....

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Charlie likes this one best, and I think it does a good job removing loose hair: Safari Complete Cat Brush, I tried him on the furminator before, but Charlie hated when I brushed him with it. I think the furminator is best for longhaired cats, but for a shorthair, it might scratch the skin.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a link to Kong's Zoomgroom: KONG Cat ZoomGroom Multi-Use Brush, I've also used this brush on Charlie. It works well, and it's easy to clean the hair out after the grooming session.
Wow. That really got a lot of good reviews. Now I'm definitely going to have to give that a try! Thanks much. :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie likes this one best, and I think it does a good job removing loose hair: Safari Complete Cat Brush, I tried him on the furminator before, but Charlie hated when I brushed him with it. I think the furminator is best for longhaired cats, but for a shorthair, it might scratch the skin.
Oooh, I like the little padded tips on the bristles. I would think that would be more comfortable than our slicker brush.

Our cats love the Furminator, but I try to use it sparingly since I do worry about hurting their skin. Plus, it can feel pretty darned heavy and difficult to manage sometimes for us folks with arthritis. ;-)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know how to post a link to it.. but, just Google: Kong's Zoom Groom....
Don't you just love how we can Google these sorts of things these days? It helps me find all kinds of cool stuff I need...and some cool stuff I don't. ;-)

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We alternate between the safari Cat Brush and this soft 2 in 1 Pet Glove. It's softer, and our cats love it when we use some pressure to massage them while brushing them. So easy to use and handle your cats at the same time. It collects the hair nicely, and you can just lift it up from the brush and it lifts like a sheet of paper.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We alternate between the safari Cat Brush and this soft 2 in 1 Pet Glove. It's softer, and our cats love it when we use some pressure to massage them while brushing them. So easy to use and handle your cats at the same time. It collects the hair nicely, and you can just lift it up from the brush and it lifts like a sheet of paper.
How nice! I think that may be easier for me to manage than the True Touch Deshedding Glove I have bookmarked.

I'm also thinking about this FURminator Curry Comb in addition to the glove. You can't have too many options when it comes to cats. :wink:

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Midnight here. I'll post a picture tomorrow. Good night.
Sorry. I cannot get pictures from my camera to the PC. Hardware problems.

I think my card is made by Buster, which seems to be a Danish company. I cannot find an identical card online, but here is one that looks like a later version of my card: Kjøp Karde, hardHos VetZoo med hjemlevering!

And I cannot find an English-language link with this card. But there are many pet stores in the EU that sell Buster products.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How nice! I think that may be easier for me to manage than the True Touch Deshedding Glove I have bookmarked.

I'm also thinking about this FURminator Curry Comb in addition to the glove. You can't have too many options when it comes to cats. :wink:
Yes, never too many options! We used the FURminator a few weeks ago to shed our cats' winter coats. So much fur came out! But we probably won't use it again for awhile. We don't use it year round, especially in the warmer months when their fur is noticeably thinner/lighter. We use the soft glove for that.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry. I cannot get pictures from my camera to the PC. Hardware problems.

I think my card is made by Buster, which seems to be a Danish company. I cannot find an identical card online, but here is one that looks like a later version of my card: Kjøp Karde, hardHos VetZoo med hjemlevering!

And I cannot find an English-language link with this card. But there are many pet stores in the EU that sell Buster products.
Thank you so very much for all your trouble, and for the link. Sometimes I have a hard time picturing things in my head, so it's a huge help to me if I can see a picture. :)

Does that plate thingy that you push to remove the hair work pretty well? I often have a hard time getting brushes really clean after I've used them. :wink:

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does that plate thingy that you push to remove the hair work pretty well? I often have a hard time getting brushes really clean after I've used them. :wink:
Works perfectly. You push the button on the back of the brush in the picture. The plate then scoops all hairs from the steel teeth, and you can wipe them off the plate with your hand.

The question is whether this brush is right for your cat. My own cat has somewhat strident short hair. Seems to me there are many good tools in this thread that are worth trying.

pdgal9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister has a ragdoll kitty and she uses the Furminator - works like a charm!