What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm reading "The Time Traveler's Wife." Not sure I'll be finishing it though. I'm on page 94 or something like that and I'm mega confused

The inside cover and at the beginning of the book state that the main character Henry, the time traveler, has no control over his ability to time travel and that it is unpredictable and just happens randomly.

Yet throughout the book he meets up with either himself and/or his "wife" in the past on specific dates and times which he has given to them, in the past, so that they can expect him.

If this time traveling is random, how can he know dates that he is going to travel back in time to visit? Majorly confusing if you ask me.
Linda, I'm reading it too. I'm on page 154. It's a good book but I am rather confused also. The first few chapters, she just jumps into it and doesn't really explain what is happening.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

Linda, I'm reading it too. I'm on page 154. It's a good book but I am rather confused also. The first few chapters, she just jumps into it and doesn't really explain what is happening.
I listened to the book, and for some reason, it was very clear after a couple of chapters, everything that was happening. They announce the date and ages of the characters, and I think if I was reading it, I might skip over that part.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have just finished Queen of the Damned, and can't decide whether to read the next one, or have a break - the last two have been really hard going, so think I should have a break.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

I have just finished Queen of the Damned, and can't decide whether to read the next one, or have a break - the last two have been really hard going, so think I should have a break.
She lost her passion for those books and you're right. All of the rest are very hard to read. The writing is just everywhere, and in the later books she actually uses her characters to bash her fans.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the warning, I will definitely take a break before the next one. It does sort of seem like she has taken it as far as she could, so not too sure what the next two will be about. I wonder if she lost her passion, or that she didn't realise the impact they would have and ended up making the Chronicles longer than they should?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

I'm an avid reader, but I just couldn't finish that one.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had sooo many people recommend to me the time traveler's wife!! I am surprised that people don't find it as amazing as i've heard on here...
I am going to give it a shot but my stack of to be read books is full so i dunno when. I should hurry up before the movie is out though!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I've had sooo many people recommend to me the time traveler's wife!! I am surprised that people don't find it as amazing as i've heard on here...
I am going to give it a shot but my stack of to be read books is full so i dunno when. I should hurry up before the movie is out though!
It was amazing, but i'm kind of weird.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

Thanks for the warning, I will definitely take a break before the next one. It does sort of seem like she has taken it as far as she could, so not too sure what the next two will be about. I wonder if she lost her passion, or that she didn't realise the impact they would have and ended up making the Chronicles longer than they should?
No, she definitely lost her passion. Her husband died and she found God, but she had commitments for a certain number of books and she had to fulfill that obligation. And she did. But I can't say that she did it very well towards the end. She no longer writes about vampyres and instead has dedicated the rest of her life to writing the story of Jesus Christ.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah right - I think I might just not bother with the two I have. Sad that she lost her husband though. I am going to read a Jodi Picoult book next, as the film of hte book is being shown on TV this week, so will read that and then watch the film.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up Paolo Coehlo's The Alchemist today....anyone into Coehlo? I had someone recommend him ..I am still a little obsessed with Kelley Armstrong's series so it will probably be a while before I get to the alchemist.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A librarian in Guelph, Ontario just retired after about 30 years with the library system and was interviewed by the local paper. In the interview he said that the best book he ever read was The Blood Detective by Dan Waddell. I decided that if he thought it was the best book it must be good so I've just started it. It's OK so far but not great. I suppose it can get a lot better as I've just started it though.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone read Nora Roberts. Ive been addicted to her books since high school and live to read her books. Currently Im rereading Midnight Bayou and her In The Garden Trilogy...I cant afford to buy any new books but I hope for Christmas my mom finds some in thrift stores...

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am reading a Bird Care and Training book. I work at a pet store so I am always reading books on the animals we sell. Other than that I am starting Living Dead in Dallas (True Blood was based off of the series of novels that Living Dead in Dallas is part of).

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

Does anyone read Nora Roberts. Ive been addicted to her books since high school and live to read her books. Currently Im rereading Midnight Bayou and her In The Garden Trilogy...I cant afford to buy any new books but I hope for Christmas my mom finds some in thrift stores...
I read Nora Roberts, she is good. I haven't read any of her books that she goes under the name of J.D. Robb yet. I get some pretty good deals from Ebay, used books..

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just started reading, "The Lost City of Z," non-fiction by David Grann. He is a writer for The New Yorker and it is an account of his journey to the Amazon to find that lost city. I am only on p. 22 and it is already fascinating and well-written. Well, he does write for The New Yorker.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished my Jodi Picoult book, it was really gripping, I will definitely read more of hers. We are fundraising this weekend, so I am reading books so we can sell them, so I am just about to start the first Harry Potter, I should have that finished by Sat (it is the thinnest of the books).

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
River of Doubt by Candice Millard. The book is about Teddy Roosevelt's perilous adventure to and on the Rio da Duvida (river of doubt) in 1913 that nearly cost him his life. He undertook the journey after his quest for a third term as president failed in part due to his switching to the progressive party for the 1912 election. So far it's a pretty good book.

Status
Not open for further replies.