What Are You Reading? (Part Three)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I want to read Dr. Sleep, but want to reread The Shining before I do. It's been decades since I read that book.

I'm planning on reading "Bad Girls" by M. William Phelps next.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just finished "Anne Neville" by Amy License and Ann Rule's "Practice to Deceive". It's neither one of her best nor one of her worst books, but wasn't one of those books I couldn't put down. Now I've started "Words with Fiends (A Black Cat Bookshop Mystery)" by Ali Brandon, which is definitely light reading. I enjoyed her other two books.
Anne Neville as in Richard lll's wife?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, Anne Neville as in the wife of Richard III. A couple of books about her have been published in the last year or two. So little is known about her that they deal more with her father, Warwick the Kingmaker, or husband.

Dr. Sleep is the sequel to The Shining, which was filmed with Jack Nicholson decades ago.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read the kingmaker. She writes great books. I'll try and get the one you've just read.
The book the shining was very good. The film stunk because of jack Nicholson I think and I'm not reading Steven king anymore.
I'm reading the girl who kicked a hornets nest.
I'm enjoying it. There was born boring bit but I got past it and now it's flowing.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lied. Well not really. That's the third book. I'm on the second. 'The Girl Who Played With Fire'
It's very good and it's a translation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I want to read Dr. Sleep, but want to reread The Shining before I do. It's been decades since I read that book.

I read it so many years ago, and although I have re-read it since, I still need to refresh my memory before I start Dr. Sleep. Rick will give Dr. Sleep to me for Christmas; it's been a long-standing tradition that whatever King book has been published that year, I get it for Christmas. And then I'm usually awake all Christmas night reading the thing. I'm kind of excited about Dr. Sleep because I enjoyed The Shining (both the book and the movie).

I've been reading a bunch of books on my Nook again, both from the library and from my stash of free Nook books. I go in spurts from the library as sometimes it's more difficult to find a good digital library book. I end up having to put most of them on Hold and can only put 5 books on Hold at one time. And sometimes it takes forever to get a good book because so many people are ahead of me. Thankfully, the library has finally stopped 3-week loans and cut them back to 2 weeks. That means that books are circulating a bit quicker than they used to. Three weeks for a library book is a bit ridiculous and a lot of people were really starting to complain about the long period.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading "The Bourne Identity" by Robert Ludlum.  The movies are fantastic.  The book is slow going and confusing!

Many characters aren't even referred to by name; References to characters are: Delta, Cain, Carlos, The Carlos, A Carlos, The patient, The Banker.  When multiple characters are being written about within a few pages and either interacting with one another or talking about each other, it's hard to keep everyone straight!

writingislove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm almost finished with a book called Unicorn Western.  It's literally a western...but the marshal (the main character) has a magical unicorn instead of a horse.  I had my reservations, but it's pretty well-written... 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Madly trying to finish "Here on Earth - an Argument for Hope" for book club tomorrow night.  Great book by Tim Flannery, finding hope in a world that seems quite determined to destroy itself. (Tim Flannery established the Climate Council after the incoming government here dismantled the Climate Commission, which he headed.)

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am waiting for Dr. Sleep by Stephen King to come in from the library. Even with my reading glasses on I have to get large print.

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am now on Lost Tribe of the Sith by John Jackson Miller, it's another Star Wars book. I'm finding it super interesting and wasn't sure if I'd like the the large time span it covers (so far 2,000 years) and I'm only 3/4 the way through.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went and got a Kindle, about 4 months ago, after swearing I would always read books the way they were meant to be read - by turning the paper pages.

Wow. I love my Kindle so much, and I've been reading more than I've ever read in my life.

I immediately ordered A Dance With Dragons, the 5th book in the George R. R. Martin series. I had read the first 4, and kept waiting for the 5th to come out in paperback, because the hardcover was so dang huge. So, on a Kindle, size didn't matter!! :D I inhaled it.

Then I read The Inferno - Dan Brown. Didn't really like it - more like a travelogue, and when he wasn't giving us a history lesson :doh3: , it was all chasing around. Not impressed.

I got Angel City, the 2nd book in a trilogy called The Angelus Series, about an epic battle between good (Michael the Archangel) and evil, down through the ages. Okay, I guess.

Wool, Shift, and Dust - by Hugh Howey. I saw that someone else on this thread was reading Wool. Sorry, can't remember who it was. This is a fantastic science fiction series, post-apocalyptic, but no zombies or vampires (thank God), and the characters are rich and wonderfully drawn. Howey is a gifted story-teller.

Doctor Sleep - Stephen King. Love it, loved it, loved it. The Shining is my favorite book of King's. Hated the movie, loved the book. So Doctor Sleep totally drew me in.

The Cuckoo's Calling - J.K. Rowling (who wrote Harry Potter, of course) Really, really good detective story

The Golem and The Jinni - by Helene Wecker. A mystical, spiritual and totally enchanting tale.

The Circle - by Dave Eggers. This book creeped me out so much. It's about a social media company (The Circle) and how this young woman becomes an employee and becomes drawn into their whole world of getting everyone involved with everyone else, and the loss of privacy that ensues. Very Orwellian/1984-ish. Very creepy, and made me think about all the time I spend on Facebook, and what people reveal when they tweet about their lives.

And I just finished a book called "Where'd You Go, Bernadette", by Maria Semple. This one I actually read in regular book form. It's wacky and charming and quirky and lovely. The author once wrote for Mad About You and Arrested Development.

So, there you have it. I look at this list and can't believe I've read all these in a matter of months.

Next up on my Kindle - 2 DCI Banks books by Peter Robinson, and The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt. A friend of mine also loaned me the hardcover of John Grisham's new book, Sycamore Row. Haven't read Grisham in ages, so I'm looking forward to that!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Charlie Brown, seeing Linus VanPelt reading TBK  "How do you pronounce all those Russian names?"

Linus  "I don't. When I come across one I can't pronounce, I just bleep it out"

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've mainly been reading non-fiction, but this weekend I reread The Shining, then read Dr. Sleep, both by Stephen King. Some sequels are a big letdown, but this one wasn't.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm almost finished with a book called Unicorn Western.  It's literally a western...but the marshal (the main character) has a magical unicorn instead of a horse.  I had my reservations, but it's pretty well-written...  :)
Is he s young female virgin?
:lol3:

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read Hunger Games and Catching Fire last week. I need to get started on Mockingjay. 

I also just bought my daughter the Divergent series. She read the first one over the past two days (I'm really impressed with her! She's 11 and it's closed to 500 pages and she read the 3-chapter preview of the next book, which is being shipping by Amazon now). Anyway, so that too is a three-book series. The movie for the first book comes out in March, so I want to read it before we go to the theater. 

I like dystopian, in case that wasn't obvious. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went and got a Kindle, about 4 months ago, after swearing I would always read books the way they were meant to be read - by turning the paper pages.

Wow. I love my Kindle so much, and I've been reading more than I've ever read in my life.

I immediately ordered A Dance With Dragons, the 5th book in the George R. R. Martin series. I had read the first 4, and kept waiting for the 5th to come out in paperback, because the hardcover was so dang huge. So, on a Kindle, size didn't matter!! :D I inhaled it.

Then I read The Inferno - Dan Brown. Didn't really like it - more like a travelogue, and when he wasn't giving us a history lesson :doh3: , it was all chasing around. Not impressed.

I got Angel City, the 2nd book in a trilogy called The Angelus Series, about an epic battle between good (Michael the Archangel) and evil, down through the ages. Okay, I guess.

Wool, Shift, and Dust - by Hugh Howey. I saw that someone else on this thread was reading Wool. Sorry, can't remember who it was. This is a fantastic science fiction series, post-apocalyptic, but no zombies or vampires (thank God), and the characters are rich and wonderfully drawn. Howey is a gifted story-teller.

Doctor Sleep - Stephen King. Love it, loved it, loved it. The Shining is my favorite book of King's. Hated the movie, loved the book. So Doctor Sleep totally drew me in.

The Cuckoo's Calling - J.K. Rowling (who wrote Harry Potter, of course) Really, really good detective story

The Golem and The Jinni - by Helene Wecker. A mystical, spiritual and totally enchanting tale.

The Circle - by Dave Eggers. This book creeped me out so much. It's about a social media company (The Circle) and how this young woman becomes an employee and becomes drawn into their whole world of getting everyone involved with everyone else, and the loss of privacy that ensues. Very Orwellian/1984-ish. Very creepy, and made me think about all the time I spend on Facebook, and what people reveal when they tweet about their lives.

And I just finished a book called "Where'd You Go, Bernadette", by Maria Semple. This one I actually read in regular book form. It's wacky and charming and quirky and lovely. The author once wrote for Mad About You and Arrested Development.

So, there you have it. I look at this list and can't believe I've read all these in a matter of months

Next up on my Kindle - 2 DCI Banks books by Peter Robinson, and The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt. A friend of mine also loaned me the hardcover of John Grisham's new book, Sycamore Row. Haven't read Grisham in ages, so I'm looking forward to that!
What was written in your book about the Golem?

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was written in your book about the Golem?
Here's the review that's on Amazon:

"In The Golem and the Jinni, a chance meeting between mythical beings takes readers on a dazzling journey through cultures in turn-of-the-century New York.

Chava is a golem, a creature made of clay, brought to life to by a disgraced rabbi who dabbles in dark Kabbalistic magic and dies at sea on the voyage from Poland. Chava is unmoored and adrift as the ship arrives in New York harbor in 1899.

Ahmad is a jinni, a being of fire born in the ancient Syrian desert, trapped in an old copper flask, and released in New York City, though still not entirely free

Ahmad and Chava become unlikely friends and soul mates with a mystical connection. Marvelous and compulsively readable, Helene Wecker's debut novel The Golem and the Jinni weaves strands of Yiddish and Middle Eastern literature, historical fiction and magical fable, into a wondrously inventive and unforgettable tale
."

It is an impressive first novel by Helene Wecker.

Status
Not open for further replies.