What Are You Reading? (Part Three)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I'm currently finishing up a series by R.A Salvatore titled The Legend of Drizzt , like 13+ books, more than half way done.
Still have to catch up on a series by Naomi Novik, about a dragon named Temeraire.
And finally last on my list is to read the third book from the series The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo , very much enjoyed the movie as well.
I felt bad for her at the end when she bought him that lovely leather jacket and he was with someone else. Used and abused. Typical man.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm reading "Catcher in the Rye".  I really have no clue what it is about. I'm about 25% done and to me it's just rambling.
You're not a product of the 50/60s any more. That's when I read it but didn't understand it then

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started to read a fairytale. I thought did I choose this book and if so why. I then realised I'd seen the film so I'm reading and enjoying it. It's called Stardust and is written by Neil Gaiman. It's utterly out of this world with people and fairies and witches etc.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I want to start a new series because I just finished one. Thinking about Game of Thrones (watched first season on HBO and really enjoyed it) or possibly the Hunger Games (is it suitable/enjoyable for adults? Looks kind of interesting.. )

Any input on these two series or suggestions, please?

Last edited:

michellemurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't attempted Game of Thrones yet, my husband has read all of those, he enjoyed them. I did read the Hunger Games trilogy and I liked them. They are a pretty quick read but still good. My suggestion is Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I could rant and rave for the rest of my days about how fantastic these books are. I have convinced 3 people to read them and they are hooked now too!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I want to start a new series because I just finished one. Thinking about Game of Thrones (watched first season on HBO and really enjoyed it) or possibly the Hunger Games (is it suitable/enjoyable for adults? Looks kind of interesting.. )

Any input on these two series or suggestions, please?
I haven't read the Hunger Games but a young friend of mine in her twenties was reading it earlier this year when I saw her.  She was raving about it and said I should read it.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you :) The Outlander series showed up on my Good Reads app reading suggestions, also, so I definitely want to check that out, too. I think I will go to the library and choose by which of the three series has the first two books checked in and available. I am so indecisive. I'm also glad to hear Hunger Games will be interesting for adult reading. I like to completely lose myself reading, you know when you get up to grab a snack and realize two or three hours have disappeared :)

michellemurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of you want Distraction, the Outlander series even makes cranky toddlers and piles of laundry seem insignificant ;)As fr checking out the first two books, how long do you get to keep them. They are some hefty books, but actually Outlander is a somewhat shorter one. Ok, no more shoving Outlander at people!!! Even if it is supremely magnificent ;)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started to read a fairytale. I thought did I choose this book and if so why. I then realised I'd seen the film so I'm reading and enjoying it. It's called Stardust and is written by Neil Gaiman. It's utterly out of this world with people and fairies and witches etc.
Another reason I like it is it's very British writing and I'm loving it.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As fr checking out the first two books, how long do you get to keep them. They are some hefty books, but actually Outlander is a somewhat shorter one.
You aren't kidding! I cheated and downloaded the Pdf and it's 1850 pages, lol!

I also want to check out the Stardust fairytale Stewball is reading. I love supernatural tales.

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Darth Plagueis one of the many Star Wars novels. I've been reading them in chronological order and haven't even made it to The Phantom Menace yet though I am getting closer lol.

I actually find the novels focusing on the Sith very interesting, more so the trilogy focusing on Darth Bane the Sith that introduced the rule of two.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 They are some hefty books,
That is why I love my eReader! I don't have to worry about how many pages a book has or how heavy it is.  With my eReader, they all weigh the same....nothing!  :)

I read way to fast to buy books (sometimes up to 3 or maybe 4 books per week). So I either trade books with my friends or find them through online torrents.  I've borrowed a couple books from our library, but unfortunately our library has a limited number of ebooks, and there is a several month long wait for some of them. I don't have the patience to wait a year to borrow a book from the library, so I find them online.

I have some friends who are avid readers so we are always swapping books between us.  Recently my brother's girl friend joined us.  My next venture will be to get them into a formal monthly book club where we meet to eat and discuss a book or two.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no. Give me a book with pages to turn anytime.
I'm very much enjoying Stardust but I'm wondering if you would. It's very easy reading as in it's not complicated. It's just a fairy story not suitable for children.
But ss I said I'm loving it.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very much enjoying Stardust but I'm wondering if you would. It's very easy reading as in it's not complicated. It's just a fairy story not suitable for children.
But ss I said I'm loving it.
I enjoy paper books myself. My pride and joy is a 1947 copy of Ernie Pyle's Home Country.  That said, I love my Nook, too. I can carry several thousand books at a time with no more weight than one book.

I'm reading Cannery Row as one of the 6 books I currently have open.

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer an actual paper book too.  In fact I resisted getting an eReader for a very long time. I finally caved in last year. I bought  Kobo Touch.  There is no light behind the screen. The screen is non glare and looks like you are actually looking at paper.  And all it does is allow you to read books, or download a book from the Kobo store.  These features were the only reason I decided to give it a try, and while I still love actual paper books, I've come to love my Kobo.

I love to have a book with me wherever I go in case I have to wait for a ride or at an appointment. I read so fast that I would often finish up a book when I was out, or if I had a book that I was nearly finished, I would either have to take that one, plus another, or leave the one almost finished at home, and take a new book with me.  I didn't like doing that.  The Kobo eliminated the need for me to carry around multiple books, or take up space in my purse or bag with a thick book.

I have a bad back and can't carry too much with me.  The Kobo is very light and I never have to worry about having to carry extra weight in the form of a book.

I had 2 Kobo readers. I recently gave one to my brother and his girl friend.  They love it! I pass along books to them and they share the reader. She takes it to work and reads it on the bus, and he uses it for a couple hours in the evening to read his books.  I'll have to spring for another one for them, but I'm waiting for them to go on sale again.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My Kindle is broken, and it'll be another week and a half till the replacement is delivered, since I pre-ordered the new model. After 4 years of having an eReader, it's been hard going back to heavy paper(back) books! I love it for all the reasons Linda listed, plus instant gratification. If I hear or read about a book I want to read, there's no waiting for it to be shipped or have time to go to a bookstore.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was suprised at how easily I took to reading on my iPad and like it just as much as paper books.
We are getting ready to move again and these posts have reminded me of all the boxes of paperbacks we will have to move. I keep dragging them from house to house and just can't seem to part with them. I like to reread books that I have enjoyed, so it is nice to always have them (my husband would probably disagree as he does most of the lifting).

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I'm currently finishing up a series by R.A Salvatore titled The Legend of Drizzt , like 13+ books, more than half way done.
Still have to catch up on a series by Naomi Novik, about a dragon named Temeraire.
And finally last on my list is to read the third book from the series The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo , very much enjoyed the movie as well.

I enjoy paper books myself. My pride and joy is a 1947 copy of Ernie Pyle's Home Country.  That said, I love my Nook, too. I can carry several thousand books at a time with no more weight than one book.

I'm reading Cannery Row as one of the 6 books I currently have open.
Gosh. That's an old book. Was it Ernest Heminngway?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've finished Stardust and must say I gobbled my way through to the end. I really enjoyed it. Next I'll be starting to read Scarlet Nights by Jude Devereux. I've never read any of her books. I hope it's not trashy.
I can't afford to but any of those things to read with. I also used to take 2 books if necessary when I worked and travelled on the bus. Those were the days. I'm glad they're over.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, I just finished the first Outlander book and really enjoyed it. The pdf was triple spaced, so I think the length was closer to about 700 pages, as opposed to the 1850 I thought it was, lol! Thank goodness there is a dictionary easily accessible when reading on the iPad because I had to keep looking up Gaelic words and pronunciations :) Thank you for the recommendation, michellemurphy :)
Also, I read the first Hunger Games book before I started Outlander and enjoyed that as well. Now, onto book 2 of each.

Status
Not open for further replies.