What are you best tips for keeping the litter box odor smell under control?

bridgetjones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats and I was wondering how you guys keep your odor under control?

Here is a guide on the top 10 list taken from http://cat.snipcademy.com/litter...

1. Train cats to cover their poop
  2. Use a larger litter box
  3. Open windows and turn on air purifiers
  4. make sure there's enough litter
  5. feed high protein, low carbs food
  6. Increase the number of litter boxes
  7. Frequently clean our your litter boxes
  8. Choose a new type of litter
  9. Use cat litter deodorizers
  10. Keep the area around clean
Any other tips and tricks?

babakhaan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Switch over to this brand thats it and forget abotu doing your top 10 things..  Google it 

Precious Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter

cassey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How to make sure it doesnt play with the litter box? Shalom loves his litter box...

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With a good litter and keeping the litterboxes clean (scooping at least twice a day), there should be no smell.

I would not use any deodorizers - for litter, for rooms, for anything. Those are chemicals, potentially harmful, highly allergenic, why take the risk.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Switch over to this brand thats it and forget abotu doing your top 10 things..  Google it 

I agree. I just bought my first (giant) bag of Dr Elseys in the blue bag, and there's just no comparison. No dust, no odor. Clumps really well. Cost is more than reasonable. And almost no tracking!!

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's baking soda after pee. I have a roomy box for Annabel and discovered that it clears way the pee. Always clean every day. You wouldn't leave a baby in a soiled diaper for over a day. I use Fresh step. It works. The type of box is important too. Plastic which, I hope you're using.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

I agree. I just bought my first (giant) bag of Dr Elseys in the blue bag, and there's just no comparison. No dust, no odor. Clumps really well. Cost is more than reasonable. And almost no tracking!!
I have to disagree with you about Precious Cat litter. My experience with it was pretty much a disaster. Yes, the kitties seemed to like it, which is a plus. It was fairly low dust but not any better in that respect than two other litter brands that I've used. The worst of it was that it had absolutely no odor control. The stink did not dissipate until I scooped and took it out of the house.

I do agree that no matter what litter you use you need to scoop at least once a day and keep the litter boxes clean.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The best thing I've found to decrease litter box odor was switching from regular clay litter to pine litter. Clumping clay litter never worked for me. There's still litter tracking with the pine litter, but the odor is more under control. It does a much better job at absorbing the moisture and odor than clay litter ever did.

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's a new product by Arm and Hammer that you can buy which is supposed to keep things fresh. It's cheap. Is it useful to have separate litter boxes when you have more than one cat or do they use the same one?

Last edited by a moderator:

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's a new product by Arm and Hammer that you can buy which is supposed to keep things fresh. It's cheap. Is it useful to have separate litter boxes when you have more than one cat or do they use the same one?
It is recommended to have as many litterboxes as cats + 1. So if you have 4 cats, you would need 5 litterboxes.

Mine use whichever litterbox they want, all of them use all of the litterboxes (but they seem to favor two of the litterboxes more).

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What's the extra for? Also? How big is a litter box suppose to be? Annabel can stand in hers. I'm of the mind to believe that's best and every time she goes poopy I clean it out as soon as I can. Baking soda pee, when dry makes it vanish.

babakhaan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to disagree with you about Precious Cat litter. My experience with it was pretty much a disaster. Yes, the kitties seemed to like it, which is a plus. It was fairly low dust but not any better in that respect than two other litter brands that I've used. The worst of it was that it had absolutely no odor control. The stink did not dissipate until I scooped and took it out of the house.

I do agree that no matter what litter you use you need to scoop at least once a day and keep the litter boxes clean.
What do you feed them .. type of food ?   very few people i know have complained but it must be a reason.

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Arm and Hammer dual odor control clumping.  I clean his box 2-3 times a day. Never had an odor problem. Even when I was away and his caregiver refused to do the litter box for the week I was gone. Still no odor problems.

Now to find a caregiver that isn't afraid of scooping poop.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

What do you feed them .. type of food ?   very few people i know have complained but it must be a reason.
They eat a combination of grain-free dry and canned food. Normally their poops have very little odor. I don't know why it was so bad with the Precious Cat litter. Maybe I got a bad batch, but the stuff is too expensive for me to buy more just to check it out. The litter I've found that works the way you claim for Precious Cat is the Tractor Supply Company's house brand Paws and Claws, at half the price.

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I'm home, I usually clean them out multiple times a day and when I'm gone for the day I clean them before I leave, right when I get home and before I head to bed.I use the Purina TIDY CATS Instant Action Multi Cat Clumping Cat Litter and it works great. My cats are pretty good about covering it up, so the boxes only really smell if for whatever reason they didn't. Even my new cat who I've had for a little more then 24 hours now and was using something else took to it right away.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep the box itself very clean.

Keep enough litter in it that nothing touches the bottom. If something touches the sides, disinfect that spot as soon as you can.

I empty the box, but do not discard the litter every couple of weeks for washing and disinfecting. I let it dry under the sun for a couple of hours. Don't forget to wash the scoop as well.

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I clean the scoop every day. Your hands can be sanitized with soap and water. The toilet for cat poopy. As for litter? Baking soda makes pee disappear but I still put stuff in a plastic bag and refresh with fresh every couple of days. The box itself? Plastic. I imagine that it stays clean by refreshing litter. No?

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ye but mine is rather big. Annabel can stand in it and still nobody has told me how big its supposed to be. I'm isolated so there's nobody to ask and nothing at Walmart. Is what I've got bigger than what others have?

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The bigger, the better. She,s supposed to stand, sit and turn around. Move a little right or left to cover better.