What are the pros and cons of having three indoor cats?

livy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, what are the pros and cons of having three indoor cats? can anyone determine the behaviour? 
I understand it is not always possible to know beforehand if they will get along or not. But surely some people here have had three cats all at once? 
I am moving into a bigger place (probably two story) Also, if i get them as kittens, is it much easier/better for them to get along? 

I have one 9 month old Birman already. Who is desexed.. 
He gets along really well with other cats and kittens. He is friendly. But i wish to get another two Birmans for him to play with...  

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Birmans are usually very easy going and friendly.  I have a Birman girl myself named Paige.  Most people find introducing kittens easier but adults if they are open to the idea and used to meeting other animals will be fine, as well.  There really aren't any cons of having them indoors.  The pros include their safety and knowing no harm will come to them.  Their silly games and sweetness.  You can't go wrong having them indoors.  I guess one con would be the litterboxes.  Just make sure you have at least one per cat.  I have 2 per cat.  It can be a job cleaning them but it has to be done. 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is young and should be able to adapt.  Issue you may run into is the kittens may bond up and exclude him.  Not sure if you were to get siblings who are already bonded. 

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, they can all live together, we've had up to 6 at one time, however, when we had 6 one of our other cats developed a behavior problem (we had too many cats for him to be comfortable) and those two cats had to be seperated at all times.

You will never know how well 3 cats will get along, usually it's fine after a settling in period, sometimes it goes really bad and then you have to deal with the ensuing fallout. It can take some cats up to a year to settle in together, its all in how you introduce them to one another, and what their personalities are like.

Just as you might have issues with a roommate, cats can have personality conflicts as well. Knowing from your previous thread that you do not plan on desexing the two new ones, you might have more difficulty.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 5 ladies, as most of you know, and they all get along fairly well.  Sheba has to assert her alpha cat dominance every once in a while, but there is no actual fighting.  The pros of having that many are more of them to love and cuddle with you.  The cons are more litter boxes to clean every day. But, I can scoop and fluff all 4 inside boxes in a 3-minute commercial break anytime.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are these the two you hope to have as breeding cats?  Entire cats can be very hormonal, and can swing from getting on to not getting on very quickly.  Both sexes are far more territorial than neuters.  Suspect all the reports above are from people with neutered cats.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are these the two you hope to have as breeding cats?  Entire cats can be very hormonal, and can swing from getting on to not getting on very quickly.  Both sexes are far more territorial than neuters.  Suspect all the reports above are from people with neutered cats.

Assuming it is.  Another BYB if so.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good callout, yes, all of mine are/were spayed/neutered.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, what are the pros and cons of having three indoor cats? Can anyone determine the behaviour? 
I understand it is not always possible to know beforehand if they will get along or not. But surely some people here have had three cats all at once? 
I am moving into a bigger place (probably two story) Also, if i get them as kittens, is it much easier/better for them to get along? 

He gets along really well with other cats and kittens. He is friendly. But i wish to get another two Birmans for him to play with...  
It does not matter what breed your cats are. All cats belong inside 24/7 unless staying there causes a poor quality of life. If a cat must go out - and there are very few reasons for this - you better have a fence specifically designed to keep the cat in the yard and get rid of all toxic plants. This should only be done as a last resort.

Moving to a bigger place is wonderful if you have cats who don't like each other because they can stake out different parts of the house. Most likely that will not happen, especially if you get them as kittens.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does not matter what breed your cats are. All cats belong inside 24/7
Can't believe I've just read that.  I have a cat-proof back garden and mine love going out.  They sunbathe, hunt, play and generally have a good time out there.  They have a cat flap and come and go as they wish - at this time of year my bedroom window is open as well and they use that as well - it's a bungalow, a one-story house. 

Boy cat has lots 400g (just under a pound) in the year and a bit they've been going out, which he needed.  We hear no end of behavioural problems here because of lack of environmental richness, and a secure back garden / yard is a great way to provide it.

Anyone who can provide a safe outside area for their cats is adding greatly to their quality of life.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The answer changes if we're talking about the same cats as your thread in breeding.

3 desexed cats should get along no worries, 2 entires and a desexed cat is anyone's guess.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't believe I've just read that.  I have a cat-proof back garden and mine love going out.  They sunbathe, hunt, play and generally have a good time out there.  They have a cat flap and come and go as they wish - at this time of year my bedroom window is open as well and they use that as well - it's a bungalow, a one-story house. 

Boy cat has lots 400g (just under a pound) in the year and a bit they've been going out, which he needed.  We hear no end of behavioural problems here because of lack of environmental richness, and a secure back garden / yard is a great way to provide it.

Anyone who can provide a safe outside area for their cats is adding greatly to their quality of life.
Only if the cat needs it to have a good quality of life. Someone who just bought a two-story house and does not breed cats has plenty of room inside to satisfy the exercise needs of three kittens.

I guess you missed the part about installing a better fence and getting rid of poisonous plants if all else fails to keep them happy indoors.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

Assuming it is.  Another BYB if so.
We wish to bring people into our community and educate about proper cat care and the way to do that isn't by turning them away with name calling. (Calling anyone a BYB is quite the insult around this forum).

livy90, as others have said, this usually isn't be a problem at all if all three cats are neutered and are properly introduced. However, cats, of any breed, are also individuals and some don't do well with other cats in the same household.

In general, cats that are not spayed/neutered tend to be more territorial, so you would the risk for them not getting along is increased. It's not 100% either way, but something to keep in mind.

There are quite a few articles on our site regarding multi-cat households and introducing cats which might be helpful -

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-multi-cat-household

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess you missed the part about installing a better fence and getting rid of poisonous plants if all else fails to keep them happy indoors.
I didn't miss it.  I have a large house, my cats were happy inside only, but they are far happier and healthier for being able to go out as they choose.  Really, if the outside is safely enclosed what is the issue with them going out?  Do you live in some part of the world that is so dangerous outside that no-one should be out there?  I live in the UK, just about the only dangers outside for cats are roads (by far the main one) and some animals - cats, dogs, and in the countryside mink, pole cats and so on.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry anne but breeding cats to just have kittens with no real research beyond this is a boy this is a girl now let me let them breed is what it sounded like to me.

If they are to be bred it really will not be 3 living together.  The male would have her pregnant to point of her being worn down if left in the same areas.  And for the neutered boy he may start to spray or the stud may feel urge to fight.  To many variables.  livy90 you really need to find a mentor if you want to breed cats(or even to start with showing to go to breeding later)  You need to know what makes the breed standard and how to groom to impress judges.  How to handle the cat in the most relaxed way and keep the cat calm at show.  How to socialize the kittens from an early age so they are able to do a show in stride.

The truth is spayed/neutered cats are much different then breeding cats.  Redirected aggression,hormones, territorial and medical issues that can make the cat or others around it act very different then someone with a few altered pet cats

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say, I am very confused about what is going on here?  In their first post they claim they want to breed Birmans and they have a desexed male... They want to get or have already gotten a breeding pair... But, they also have a moggie mom and kittens that they claim in another board.  I think part of the reason people are so upset is you are not being entirely upfront about your current situation and how many animals you have, you're only giving bits and pieces on each thread you start. And I know why people are upset but getting aggressive on the board isn't helping.  People are going to do what they want to do.  My advice to everyone is just to calm down or not write to this situation. 

Please OP I urge you to visit an animal shelter and take a tour and have an honest talk with them about how many perfectly good and wonderful animals are put down each week because there are not enough homes for all of them.  About 90% or more will never make it out of the shelter alive.  It's a very real and very sad fact. It's an eye opener.  I know kittens and breeding sounds like fun.... But it's a lot of hard work and most of the time, if done correctly, it costs more than you will ever get back.  There are so many people breeding out there right now, some good, some not so good... And BYB is the text talk for back yard breeder aka a bad uninformed breeder who does this not to further the breed but just to be breeding period.    All those people out there breeding (good and bad) make it less likely that the shelter animals will be adopted and adding to that... Well... Not good.  Lets not forget the pets on the streets breeding more and more unwanted pets.  I am sure you have done your research but online research doesn't compare to seeing it with your own eyes.  I encourage you to visit shelters and visit reputable breeders and talk to them before making any decisions about breeding.

Your cats will be much happier as desexed pets then they will as intact breeders for sure.  Plus you need to consider future kittens... If they don't sell, what will be done with them?  Not all kittens sell.  And a good breeder needs to have a plan for that.  With so many people not spaying/neutering their pets and allowing them to breed... Free will always trump having to pay $$ for a kitten.  This also adds to the pet problem in shelters. 

And the kittens you currently have, I would urge you to desex them BEFORE sending them to their forever homes as well.  People don't always keep their word about doing so.  You don't want to contribute to the heartbreaking situation further.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

livy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have one birman desexed male cat. i was always clear bout how many cats i own... i was upfront with everything. 

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if you only have 1 cat now and want to add 2 more... It changes if these are breeding cats.  "Whole" cats are hormonal  and should not have full run of the house.  And they should be kept separated from eachother and other animals.  So, I would advise if you wish to breed that you find a mentor first to show you the ropes and get you started.  If not, and you go into this 'blind' even with all your research you are still very 'blind' to a lot of factors and realities here.... Going in unprepared will be disaster, not just for you but mostly and even more so for the cats.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, what are the pros and cons of having three indoor cats?

The biggest pro to me on keeping a cat indoors is lifespan.  I want my cat to live a healthy life as long as possible. 

I also spay/n my animals, helps them be better house pets. 

I think inside kitties need lots of vertical space, posts, toys, and good stuff to keep them entertained and happy while inside.

Last edited:

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, what are the pros and cons of having three indoor cats? can anyone determine the behaviour? 

I loves my kittys... all 4 of them
As far as I'm concerned there are no cons to having this many.  Unless you consider cleaning extra litter boxes a con.  Your 9 month old should do fine if properly introduced to the other 2.  I've had no problems introducing a new cat into my household when the time arose.  They form different relationships with each other just as humans do with each other.  My oldest cat, Hoot, is the cranky one.  She's always been this way and with the other cats she's been hateful but only when they invade her space.  She's not aggressive with them but doesn't want to be messed with.  The other cats, and both dogs respect this.  I've got a pretty well balanced household but I took my time with the introductions of new animals into the household and made sure I have plenty of litter boxes