What are the official words to describe my moggy?

bonobosoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I figured he is a generic domestic cat, but I'd like to know what the cat-speak terms are to describe his various features?

Also I think he may have some of the more slender breeds somewhere in his ancestry (rex, siamese etc) because he has very long legs and a long, angular face. Like a lion. 

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's got just enough black that  i would still call him a Black and White Bicolor.    He has some interesting arrangement of the black and white. 

Several decades ago,  a Persian breeder divided the different kinds of cats with white spotting into 9 "Grades".   Sanjiv would be a middle grade ,  between Grade 4 and Grade 5.     A Low Grade means more black and a High Grade means more white. 

Looks like he has a double coat which would be typical of most of the cats in the world especially those with  Western / Northern ancestry. 

His head is what would be described as modified wedge  ,  but there are a lot of variations on that,  it is seen in many breeds and non-breed cats from different places. 

I am really not seeing a VERY Siamese/ Oriental type face,  but  he was constantly moving!    His head does look longer than some cats like a British Shorthair, American Shorthair, etc.      It actually looks like he may even have the long flat forehead that was associated with the early Siamese.  also seen in some other breeds like Norwegian Forest Cat. 

It does look like he has a pretty wide ear set,  though some of the time i think he is holding his ears down which accentuates that.   That wide ear set might also be reminding you of some modern/ show style Siamese? 

I'm not going to say much interesting about body because both body type and boning look like what I would call medium.  or perhaps semi-foreign body type.  (It looks like Sanjiv is pretty young?   he is all legs right now.   If he is still a kitten,  I bet his body will stretch out more as he grows up.)

Re the collar that you said was your mum's idea,  just make sure it is the kind that either can break apart if pulled on,  or has an elastic section that could stretch and slip off it it gets caught on something when he is climbing and jumping. Kittens have been strangled when they fell from somewhere and get caught by the collar. 

You can get him a microchip that can be scanned and they can get your contact info,  in case he ever got lost and his collar had come off. .  Is he neutered yet?   because you could get the microchip injected at that time.  It is very tiny, like the size of a grain of rice. 

Thanks for sharing this cute video!   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonobosoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cool, that was interesting. I had a feeling his long leggedness was to do with age. He's only a little nipper. 

We've been planning on micro-chipping him, the vet said it'd be best to do it when he's beefed up a bit because the needle is wide. 

The sun's coming out and I want to let him outside, so I think he's ready pretty soon.