What Are The Next Steps For Constantly Constipated Cat? (has Had Ultrasound, Bloods, Fiber Food)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reginaq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probiotics, probiotics, probiotics!!!

I had a 6 month stretch after I first adopted my cat where we were trying to figure out her constipation, and I have tried almost everything. In the end, probiotics were, and still are, the only thing that worked consistently and without side effects.

Her colon is clear right now, so you're at a good place to incorporate good preventative measures. Miralax worked very well for us if given before hard stool started building up in her colon. Start with 1/8 teaspoon daily and increase by 1/8 teaspoon increments as necessary.

Calories are really important. I recommend turkey, chicken, or ham baby food (gerber or beechnut, stage 2) because it is really appetizing to most cats. Or, try tuna or deli meat (low sodium if possible). Feed that until you get her appetite back up to normal again.

So, she has had a rough few weeks, and the stress of illness and vet visits has probably really messed up her healthy microflora, and then she had antibiotics which would have wiped out a lot, so her microbiome is qll over the place, and that had an effect. For those reasons along I think probiotics would be really helpful for her right now.

But also, consistently giving my cat probiotics with every meal changed her digestive health completely. Miralax worked well for a while, but I had to keep inching up the dose because it was losing effectiveness over time as her body got used to it. Plus, even though it's pretty safe, it's still not ideal to keep a cat constantly on a medication that's meant to be used as needed. I finally tried probiotics and was able to stop miralax entirely. Even now I notice that if I skip the probiotics, she starts having straining and discomfort.

I started with a pet formulation, but I switched to a human one and did not notice a difference. Main strain is acidophilus, CFU count is in the billions, and I keep it refrigerated (I use PB8 Nutrition Now specifically).

Fiber is a double edged sword with constipation. It can draw in some moisture or help push things through, but it also adds bulk, potentially making stool more difficult to pass and stretching out the colon. Those prescription foods really pack in the fiber so I would be very careful using them.

At one point woth my cat I think her colon muscles were just exhausted and 2 weeks of cisapride, a muscle stimulant, was very helpful.

Slippery elm bark is also a remedy that some like for constipation. It made my cat incredibly uncomfortable, so I can't recommend it personally, but other people have tried it and gotten great results.

I would focus on getting her to eat something, mixing in the miralax and probiotics. Then transition her back to a good canned food, continuing with probiotics, and miralax as needed, and see how it goes.
ok all this is great, thanks. as if now she isn't even turkey or baby food, i will try again in a few hours with the miralax. and will follow the rest of your instructions

reginaq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Raw egg yolk gets my Krista's gut moving. A little too well. I'm still trying to find the preventative dose that I can give her for hairball management that doesn't give her diarrhea. But yeah, I would prefer using raw egg yolk over a laxative, fiber, or enema. Raw egg yolk contains a natural emulsifier, lecithin, which helps pull fats (and the stuff that gets bound up in them) on through. There is also dried egg yolk powder you can order that should make dosing easier. I plan to check out that probiotic above too. :thanks:
thank you - its a gret suggestion i have seen mentioned, i just can't get her to eat a thing now :/ if she does, i wll try raw egg yolk

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you - its a gret suggestion i have seen mentioned, i just can't get her to eat a thing now :/ if she does, i wll try raw egg yolk
Raw egg yolk is seriously potent with my Krista. I wouldn't use it in conjunction with Miralax or lactulose. Pick one or the other.

Krista likes raw egg yolk by itself. If you haven't given anything else and you're concerned that she's still constipated, give her 1/2 to 1 tsp of raw egg yolk on her food dish. She can lick it up without food. Allow 12-24 hours for it to work.

For dosing, 1/2 tsp gave my healthy Krista the runs and 1/4 tsp made them soft. We'll be trying 1/8 tsp next time. For her, I'm trying to work out a daily dose or twice daily that won't give her runny or soft stools but will keep any ingested hair moving so we can end her weekly hairball cycle.

reginaq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Raw egg yolk is seriously potent with my Krista. I wouldn't use it in conjunction with Miralax or lactulose. Pick one or the other.

Krista likes raw egg yolk by itself. If you haven't given anything else and you're concerned that she's still constipated, give her 1/2 to 1 tsp of raw egg yolk on her food dish. She can lick it up without food. Allow 12-24 hours for it to work.

For dosing, 1/2 tsp gave my healthy Krista the runs and 1/4 tsp made them soft. We'll be trying 1/8 tsp next time. For her, I'm trying to work out a daily dose or twice daily that won't give her runny or soft stools but will keep any ingested hair moving so we can end her weekly hairball cycle.
ok thanks for all this info - working on getting her to eat anything. i'm thinking of giving her pepcid ac later bc she is licking her lips (nauseous....) she wont even eat her beloved turkey or snacks now.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! As much as further vet visits will not help her stress levels, if she isn't eating by tomorrow morning I would call the vet and see what they recommend.

reginaq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good luck! As much as further vet visits will not help her stress levels, if she isn't eating by tomorrow morning I would call the vet and see what they recommend.
i will thank you - and now she just threw up. my poor girl. thanks for your help