what are the correct diet for a 7 month old cat???

omiomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!! This is my first time in here and also my first time adopting a cat!! I tried feeding him the dry cat food and he won’t eat it. I want to try feeding him raw meat or have a balanced diet. Do you guys have any tips?? Thank you so much!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feed canned cat food for now while you learn up on how to feed a properly balanced raw or cooked diet. Any brand will do: Fancy Feast, Friskies, Merrick, etc. Whatever you can afford and can find the the local stores (supermarket or pet store or wherever you normally shop) is fine.

Start with these:

Commercial raw cat food is the easiest way to start. Choose from frozen, freeze dried, dehydrated, and air dried option. Frozen obviously needs space in your freezer while the others are shelf stable. If you decide to make raw from a recipe, you will also need freezer space to store the food. The recipe at Catinfo.org is a popular one many people use. Whatever meat you use must not be treated with preservatives, sodium / salt solutions, broth, flavorings, etc. You'd be surprise at how some meats sold in supermarkets are "enhanced" with stuff. Hare-Today.com is a good supplier for raw meat for pet food use.

For cooked diets, the easiest way to start is using a pre-mix such as EZComplete with plain cooked shredded or chunked meat of your choice. The pre-mix contains the essential vitamins and minerals that turns plain meat into a complete diet. The cooked cat food resource link above has links to various pre-mixes that you can buy. None are sold in stores.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you are very dedicated, a raw diet made by you is somewhat complicated because you have to add certain vitamins, essential taurine and other ingredients, not to mention the time putting it all together. Buying a ready-made is much more simple. Wet food is best, cats need the extra moisture and often have kidney problems when they don't get enough. Make sure there are several bowls of water sitting around. I feed canned Friskies in the shreds, and Fancy Feast in the extra gravy twice a day, early morning and evening. Many cats have a preference for pate or shredded, minced, chunked, etc. I also leave down a bowl of hard because we take overnight trips once in a while and they will have something to eat. I also keep around Delectable Lickables packaged treats to give liquid meds in and in case one gets sick.
A seven month old is still considered a kitten, so don't limit the food, but give as much as they want until a year old then figure out how much they will need. If they start developing a round appearance, cut back and eliminate much of the hard, which unless you get 100% meat, will put on weight.
Cats are fairly easy to care for, they are much more independent than dogs. Provide food, water, a littler box or two, and entertainment at times and they will love you. I keep mine strictly inside now, I have lost too many to the street and predators. Please come here as often as you like if you have questions, you are always welcome. You are embarking on a great adventure, you EARN a cat's love and will be blessed when you get it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

omiomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unless you are very dedicated, a raw diet made by you is somewhat complicated because you have to add certain vitamins, essential taurine and other ingredients, not to mention the time putting it all together. Buying a ready-made is much more simple. Wet food is best, cats need the extra moisture and often have kidney problems when they don't get enough. Make sure there are several bowls of water sitting around. I feed canned Friskies in the shreds, and Fancy Feast in the extra gravy twice a day, early morning and evening. Many cats have a preference for pate or shredded, minced, chunked, etc. I also leave down a bowl of hard because we take overnight trips once in a while and they will have something to eat. I also keep around Delectable Lickables packaged treats to give liquid meds in and in case one gets sick.
A seven month old is still considered a kitten, so don't limit the food, but give as much as they want until a year old then figure out how much they will need. If they start developing a round appearance, cut back and eliminate much of the hard, which unless you get 100% meat, will put on weight.
Cats are fairly easy to care for, they are much more independent than dogs. Provide food, water, a littler box or two, and entertainment at times and they will love you. I keep mine strictly inside now, I have lost too many to the street and predators. Please come here as often as you like if you have questions, you are always welcome. You are embarking on a great adventure, you EARN a cat's love and will be blessed when you get it!
I apologize for responding late. I forgot the name of this site, good thing I found it again haha. I really appreciate your help! I feed my cat twice a day with Friskies too. I have a question about the dry food, Is it okay if I also leave a bowl of dry food during the night?

Also, I didn’t know that you can buy a ready-made raw diet! I guess I have to do more research about it and I don’t feel like I’m ready to transition to raw diet yet since I’m still unprepared but for sure in the future! Thank you again for the help!! <3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

omiomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feed canned cat food for now while you learn up on how to feed a properly balanced raw or cooked diet. Any brand will do: Fancy Feast, Friskies, Merrick, etc. Whatever you can afford and can find the the local stores (supermarket or pet store or wherever you normally shop) is fine.

Start with these:

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

Commercial raw cat food is the easiest way to start. Choose from frozen, freeze dried, dehydrated, and air dried option. Frozen obviously needs space in your freezer while the others are shelf stable. If you decide to make raw from a recipe, you will also need freezer space to store the food. The recipe at Catinfo.org is a popular one many people use. Whatever meat you use must not be treated with preservatives, sodium / salt solutions, broth, flavorings, etc. You'd be surprise at how some meats sold in supermarkets are "enhanced" with stuff. Hare-Today.com is a good supplier for raw meat for pet food use.

For cooked diets, the easiest way to start is using a pre-mix such as EZComplete with plain cooked shredded or chunked meat of your choice. The pre-mix contains the essential vitamins and minerals that turns plain meat into a complete diet. The cooked cat food resource link above has links to various pre-mixes that you can buy. None are sold in stores.
WOW!! Thank you so much!! I feel more relaxed about transitioning my cat’s diet to raw food. Im also thankful that you included the supplier for raw meat since I was skeptical about buying it from a supermarket. It made me worry more about the correct diet for my cat. I apologize for responding late, I will make sure not to forget the name pf this website again. I hope you have a wonderful day.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I leave hard food out. There are many good, nongrain ones out there now, and if you start getting concerned about the weight, (like I have to) I use Science Diet Weight Management formula I by at the local farm supply store to save money.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I apologize for responding late. I forgot the name of this site, good thing I found it again haha. I really appreciate your help! I feed my cat twice a day with Friskies too. I have a question about the dry food, Is it okay if I also leave a bowl of dry food during the night?

Also, I didn’t know that you can buy a ready-made raw diet! I guess I have to do more research about it and I don’t feel like I’m ready to transition to raw diet yet since I’m still unprepared but for sure in the future! Thank you again for the help!! <3
Primal, Stella and Chewys, and Darwin's I believe are all aafco balanced. I know Primal is for sure and is for kittens to. You could also do freeze dried, you just add water and its a great alternative to raw. :)

Friskies I would not recommend as its low quality and tons of bad fillers. The only somewhat good dry food is Dr elsey's, Ziwi peak, and Tiki cat is good.