What are the breeds of my 3 cats? Please help! (Pics included)

kittiesaresweet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Okay so I have 2 kitties that I have taken care of since they were new borns (ones 6 the others 4) I have a brand new kitten who's about a week and a half and we think he's mixed with Siamese because the older he gets the darker his face,paws,tail,ears get but the rest of his body gets lighter... but we aren't exactly sure. My eldest cat is a girl and we were told she's a Mane Coon, but I'm not exactly sure about that neither. My 2nd cat ,who's a boy, we were never told what breed he was because his mother was a stray. There was a guy who would feed her and let her come into his store...she ended up having kittens and he gave one of the kittens to us and the others away to good homes so they wouldn't be strays. I think he ended up taking the mom cat home and getting her fixed , but I still never knew the breed. Anyways here's screenshot  pics of my babies! Please help if you can thank you!

1. New Kitten:   http://prntscr.com/23ckm4    and    http://prntscr.com/23ckrr

2. Male Cat:  http://prntscr.com/23cldx

3. Female Cat:  http://prntscr.com/23clsp  

4.) Both:  http://prntscr.com/23cm24     and   http://prntscr.com/23cm9t   and   http://prntscr.com/23cn6t

Thank you everyone who responds! 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is certainly not my area of expertise, but I can tell you they are very cute.  Hoping someone with some cat breed knowledge will be along shortly to help you out. 

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens arent easy, but you are right,  its a point, clearly.   Your adults arent the parents?

The point gene comes from siamese, all right,  but how near the siamese ancestor is, we cant know.  The point gene wanders through the cat cat population and must come from both mom and dad.  So parents dont need to be pointed themselves.

His head hints he cant be pure siamese.

To be continued later....

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your male is a domestic short hair (breed) with the coloring that is called red and his coat pattern is tabby. He looks very much like my Boots!

The female is a domestic long hair, also red or perhaps closer to a buff coloring, she also has tabby markings.

Without papers, cats are recognized as either domestic short hair or domestic long haired as the breed. We can say at times they "look" like a certain breed, or recognize some possible lineage genes, such as the points on the kitten as StefanZ suggested. From there, patterns and coloring are used to describe such as with your male. He'd be called a DSH Red Tabby and most would know what he looked like without even seeing him.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
To add to Katluvers explanation.

both adults have also some white places, so if you want you can call them both

red tabby and white.   both adults have essentially the same pattern, although the female is  longhaired. (and her color is somewhat lighter - possibly a conneiseur would have some other name than red on her reddish color).

so she is DLH - domestic long haired, red(?)  tabby and white.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I really don't think these kitties have specific breeds but they're very pretty cats.   Cats are not like dogs that are usually a breed or mix of breeds.  There has been much less cat breeding by humans compared to dog breeding.   Most cats have just bred randomly on their own over the centuries with whatever cats were in their area, and are a mix of genes from the cat population in their part of the world,  and aren't really classified as "breeds" .  They're  called Domestic Shorthair or Domestic Longhair  which just means a cat of no particular breed or unknown ancestry.   Sometimes a bit of pedigree cat ancestry is mixed in,  but the pedigree cats are only about 3% of owned cats.  and these days most are altered as kittens and not running around breeding and producing mixes.

The Red Tabby and White shorthair  has a sort of European Shorthair look but I don't know if you are anywhere that it would make sense.    Stefan knows more about them since they started from Swedish farm cats.

The Red Classic Tabby and White longhair female is quite lovely.  beautiful coat and a sweet heart shaped face --   but I can't think of a breed she looks just like.      I guess she is just her own unique self!

and that is a precious little kitten.   Did you find it abandoned  ?

There are good tips for hand raising orphaned / abandoned kittens on kitten-rescue.com

The  baby kitten is not pointed even though you are right that he has a pattern similar to that.   It looks to me like a little Black ( or maybe Black Smoke)  kitten with " fever coat" . 

But he  is definitely not colorpoint / pointed ( also called Siamese pattern or Himalayan pattern --  genetic cs/cs) . They are NEVER  that dark already at 1.5 weeks old.   

For comparison here a re some 11 day old Siamese (Thai in TICA) kittens. Their bodies are  still almost white .   And as you can see, the dark part on a Siamese ( or other pointed) kitten around 1.5 - 2 wks old would be just on the edges of the ears and a smudge on the nose , the tail getting a little  color,  the paws barely getting color  --   the head and legs are not nearly so dark and with so much dark fur like this little kitty you are caring for..

In this photo at right,  the kitten in the center whose face can be seen is a seal point.  so she will grow up to look like the mama.  but at this age her points are nowhere near so developed.

Also the coat would not have started darker and then be getting lighter.  They are born all white . then they gradually get their color, first  the points start to come in, and the body color then darkens to a paler version of the points  ( as kittens it is MUCH paler. they are like cream color , or at most a sort of light tan. )

Even 2 weeks later,  here at right  is a 3.5 week old seal point Siamese kitten  & you can see she's still not nearly so dark as the little bottle baby. 

With how your kitten looks and what you said about how the body is getting lighter,  I do think  it's some version of fever coat,  something that can happen if the mother had some infection during pregnancy or if the kitten was ill him/herself.   Fever coat can sometimes appear in a Siamese- like pattern  (with the warmer parts of the body being darker).   It's very interesting .  It has nothing to do with having any Siamese ancestors,  but something works in a similar way as their coat,  with the warmer parts of the body being lighter colored and the cooler parts get darker. 

There have been other pictures of kittens with coats like this posted on this and other sites  for example in this thread   http://www.thecatsite.com/t/86580/what-colour-is-he

If it is fever coat,  he will probably will eventually end up a black cat.   (that is what usually happens. ) 

Here at left is a photo I found of kittens with fever coats like this.

and at right,  one of the same kittens a few months later.  The kitten ended up being a black cat  ( but one of those black cats that have reddish brown undertones in the sun.)

But it is possible he could be a Black Smoke.   Here is a link to an article about a black smoke Persian who had a fever  coat as a kitten , and looked like a Himalayan  ( Persian with a pointed pattern),  which would have been genetically impossible. Development of Persian Kitten with Fever Coat

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittiesaresweet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everyone thank you so so soooo much! It's all making so much sense now. Thank you Maewkaew for the information that REALLY helped me A LOT. And to everyone else thank you for your help also and complements to my babies! I really appreciate it. I'm going to do more research with all the information I have now. I'm just happy its all making sense.