What are the best possible wet and dry foods I can buy in the U.K?

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is unwell at the moment as he had a fever and is on antibiotics and has a couple of days left on them. He is feeling much better now as he is back to his old self, running and playing lots rather than sleeping all day bless him. He has been funny with his food but whilst on the meds it is understandable. I have got some prebiotic to help thanks to Otto's advice! Thing is is that he has lost weight and he wasn't a heavy cat before. He is three and a half and weighs 4kg, is that too light? He is a single kitty therefore he doesn't have to compete to get food so he just eats when he feels like it as I free feed. He is also a really active cat therefore he runs off most of what he eats. I feed James Wellbeloved Duck and rice or Chicken and rice dry kibble its one food that he never seems to get sick of thank goodness as I elieve its a good one? Any better ones out there? The dry stays out in a feeder although it's small so the dry food doesn't go stale because it's been sitting out for ages. I thought he should eat three pouches of wet food a day as the boxes advise but I end up throwing loads out. He doesn't like fish which is fine as I know its not great for cats. I have tried so many different wet foods and he turns his nose up to nearly all. Really, I just want to know that I am feeding really good food. His fussiness has made me resort to brands that I know aren't great but I just want him to eat more. He has long limbs and I don't like feeling him so light and boney.
I would also like to be able to monitor better how much he is eating therefore I feel that I should change from free feeding to doing the timed feeds but I have no idea how to do it or how to start doing it. Could anyone be kind enough to advise me? My work hours are monday to friday, I leave the house at around 8am and I get back around 5.30, is that too long out of the house to do the scheduled feeding? My bf does work from home most of the time but I like to be the one who deals with most things with my much loved kitty, kind of mum knows best sort of thing
. I live in the U.K so some of the good food many of you in America use I can't get. Any ideas? I have tried giving a variety so he doesn't bored but again it is very hit and miss.
So, advice about the scheduled feeding would be absolutely great and also suggestions on best quality food I can get him would be brilliant too. Sorry for the long post! Mant thanks
Is 4kg too light?

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, wow, you are just up the road from me,
There isn't many places here, try your local vets, mine is Ambivet, think there is one in Nottingham, they do most of the dried and wet foods like hills and purina is it??And they are not too expensive. Failing that there are loads of uk web sites but its the postage. I am not sure is Pets at Home sell anything like what you are after. xx