What Are Some Unusual Foods You Like To Eat Together?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My cousin loves to sprinkle black pepper on vanilla ice cream; he says it brings out the vanilla in the ice cream. (He's also the one who would pour ketchup on chocolate cake. :noway: )

I used to drink chocolate milk and beer. It tasted kind of like a chocolate malt and it was the only way I could drink beer. I am not a beer drinker at all.

When I need something sweet and salty, I'll grab some peanut M & M's and mix some potato chips in the bowl.

Rick can't eat eggs without a good dollop of ketchup. I never understood that one.

What are your unusual food combinations?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cousin loves to sprinkle black pepper on vanilla ice cream; he says it brings out the vanilla in the ice cream. (He's also the one who would pour ketchup on chocolate cake. :noway: )

I used to drink chocolate milk and beer. It tasted kind of like a chocolate malt and it was the only way I could drink beer. I am not a beer drinker at all.

When I need something sweet and salty, I'll grab some peanut M & M's and mix some potato chips in the bowl.

Rick can't eat eggs without a good dollop of ketchup. I never understood that one.

I never tried pepper on ice cream, but I always put a bit in homemade peach pie filling. It does bring out the flavor of the peaches, but you can't tell it's pepper. I've served it to others, and they thought so, as well.

I can't bear watching people eat eggs with ketchup! And also, runny egg salad literally makes me sick to watch someone eat.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid we used to put ketchup on scrambled eggs. It was good. I don't eat eggs anymore.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put Worcestershire sauce in my eggs before I scramble them.

And I love crown royal black in my coke. Duh.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband also eats catsup on his scrambled eggs. When we were first married he would put catsup on everything, including my roast beef. We had a chat about that and he's learned to eat it properly. He still loves catsup and puts it on eggs, sandwiches, and other things not made for catsup. He tells me that when he was a kid he thought that he liked catsup and he liked milk, so he combined the two. That was a bad idea.

He taught our granddaughter to love catsup, too. One day he asked her to fill in the blank on this saying: "_____ (Hunger) is the best sauce." She promptly replied, "Catsup!"

I knew someone who put sugar on his tomatoes and salt in his coffee. I never ate anything he cooked.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like to put pimento cheese on my bread and then slice a banana on it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't like scrambled eggs as a kid. I could only ever choke them down if they had ketchup on them.

I grew up eating pastina or abc noodles with butter and ketchup for lunch. (While watching The Price is Right!) I still like that from time to time. It's comfort food to me. And it makes me think of my Gram. :redheartpump:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salt is good in coffee, just a pinch. It just takes the bitterness out, it doesn't taste salty. Now if someone put in enough to make it salty. . .eww.

I don't even know what pimiento cheese is. I bet I'd like it though. I used to suck the pimientos out of olives and eat them separately. Yum!

I don't care for ketchup on eggs. I don't think I've ever tried it on purpose, but I'm pretty sure at some point I got the ketchup I was using on the hash browns on the eggs accidentally, and I didn't hate it enough to remember but also didn't like it enough to remember, lol. I do like sour cream on eggs though.

I like salt on lemons/limes and sour watermelon. Not sure how unusual that is.

Chocolate and pickles are good together. Not mixed, but a bite of one, then the other. The pickles get the sweetness out of your mouth so each taste of chocolate is as good as the first.

I had a friend stay with me for a while and, according to her, everything I eat is weird. I'm trying to remember some specific things she thought were unusual. . .I have a tendency to mix most foods up together with a handful of shredded cheese and some hot sauce. She thought that was gross. I dip pizza in spaghetti sauce, every bite, not just the crust. I pour milk over waffles and pancakes (along with the syrup; it makes the flavors mush together so deliciously). Hmm, I'm sure I'll think of others later!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
salt on grapefruit (gra'ma taught me that one)

bacon strips dipped in chocolate (with a sprinkle of cheyanne)

milk in my tea (somewhat unusual for American)

honey on cottage cheese (another gra'ma special)

peanut butter + cheddar + apple slice

ketchup?.... not so much... except on hot dogs, and then I add sriracha to it.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like cottage cheese with maple syrup. Jam on egg sandwiches and on eggs on the plate. Peanut butter with maple syrup stirred into it. Tuna salad made with half mayo and half cream cheese. Chow mein noodles ( the soft kind ) with chopped hard boiled eggs. Ramen noodles are good like this too.

Cottage cheese + canned pineapple + chopped up hard boiled egg = heaven! :D
I have to try this because I love all three ingredients!

I like to put pimento cheese on my bread and then slice a banana on it.
I'm going to try this. Never had banana and pimento cheese together.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My older brother used to put Worcestershire sauce on pound cake. :headshake:

I don't think I eat anything that unusual. I do like to dip fries in mayo sometimes but a lot of people do that. My DH used to like milk & Pepsi (anyone remember Laverne & Shirley?) He also liked to put grape soda, cream soda and orange soda in milk. Yuck. I used to have to put my hand over my glass or he'd add some to mine too. :nono:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think many of you here know how much i love peanut butter and sweet bread & butter pickle sandwiches. :redheartpump: i've tried peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches too, recently, and i like them -- though not as much as with the sweet bread & butter pickles.

i really like ketchup on mac'n'cheese, and on scrambled eggs.

a couple days ago i tried some honey-mustard dipping sauce i had (left over from using with chicken nuggets) with pretzels. that was really very good, and i'll likely mix up some honey-mustard dipping sauce again just to use with pretzels. the taste was very much like what Snyder's honey mustard pretzel pieces tastes like...:cloud9:

i also like to make pancakes, serve them with maple syrup, then make a couple fried eggs and put them on the plate with the dregs of the maple syrup. fried eggs with a little maple syrup is really very good! :yummy:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only unusual food that I like to eat that I can think of is super hot chili peppers like Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper), Trinidad Scorpion, 7 Pot, and Carolina Reaper. Most sane people can't tolerate these, but I love the burn.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Jon won't eat eggs without ketchup. He hates eggs but eats omelets when we go out for breakfast. Go figure. He eats pickles and peanut butter. yuck. He used to make this salad for his lunch- broccoli, pickles, pickle juice and sometimes adds olives and red pepper. He likes it left out to get room temperature. I never understood how that filled him up. He always ate like a bird compared to me. If I ate that for lunch I would still be hungry.

I like wheat bread with peanut butter and banana slices for a cheap easy meal.
Pineapple on my pizza, pineapple in my mex/spanish rice. Sweet and sour zesty flavor. That Goya yellow rice tastes really good with pineapple..and scrambled hamburg with onions..yum yum!

I have mixed weird things-I put steak cut up into my clam chowder-surf and turf!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
W Willowy Your post about chocolate and pickles brought back a kid's memory. When we were growing up, Dad would by a packaged chocolate cake by Merita. Actually it was a half cake, layered. He also bought a jar of sour pickles to eat with it. We were children and because he served it to us like that we ate it. I wonder if I would like it now. Probably the tartness of the pickles balanced the sweet of the cake.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My husband also eats catsup on his scrambled eggs. When we were first married he would put catsup on everything, including my roast beef. We had a chat about that and he's learned to eat it properly. He still loves catsup and puts it on eggs, sandwiches, and other things not made for catsup. He tells me that when he was a kid he thought that he liked catsup and he liked milk, so he combined the two. That was a bad idea.

He taught our granddaughter to love catsup, too. One day he asked her to fill in the blank on this saying: "_____ (Hunger) is the best sauce." She promptly replied, "Catsup!"

I knew someone who put sugar on his tomatoes and salt in his coffee. I never ate anything he cooked.
I can't stand ketchup cold, but I cook with it a lot, like when I slow-cook beef, and I add it to chili, along with tomato sauce, while it's cooking.

The sugar on tomatoes thing: up until the 20th Century, tomatoes were sour. Newer varieties are naturally sweeter in taste. People used to serve the sugar bowl along with fresh tomatoes. Perhaps your friend learned this behavior from an elderly relative (?).