What Are Some Human Meals You Can Eat With Your Cats?

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At least once a week, I want to have a meal that I can eat WITH my cats. Usually on Friday or Saturday nights because it's the weekend.

There are lots of foods that are cat toxic but others that fall into the "not good for every meal but every so often is ok" category. I'm okay with the latter because I want to reward my kitties for being so awesome.

I know they can eat cooked white meat like turkey and chicken. But what else? Once a week they deserve to have a tasty dinner that isn't the healthiest but is very tasty.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meat. Any meat should be fine as long as you pull their serving out before it's seasoned. A small amount of rice or pasta would be OK, but if you're going for taste over economy, they're really just going to want the meat. So bake up a few chicken breasts and make yours into a fancy dish and serve theirs plain :D.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - Tuna, if you buy chunk light which is made from younger tuna species (less time for the mercury to be absorbed by the fish) then that isn't horrible, or if you can find Safecatch which has low to no mercury tuna, as well as a low/no sodium variety that would be just fine and no problem. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, and as I understand it whole cooked eggs (both the white and the yolk), asparagus (seriously--the Big Guy loves them), peas, green olives...

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with W Willowy -- some meat! Our cats really love pork: they get commercial raw food and homemade cooked food with pork and it's a big favorite. They especially love pork tenderloin so when I buy it, they get part of it and the humans get part of it... cooked differently, though. (I bake theirs in a little water, covered, then add supplement since it's a regular part of their diet.) They also like pork chops; I often leave a fair bit of the fat on the meat. One other thing: when I make a recipe for scallion-chicken noodles (this one) I always try to remember to save the water from poaching the chicken because it's just plain chicken cooking water, making it great to add to their food. They love the extra flavor. They like getting a little of the chicken, too.

Furballsmom Furballsmom is so right about the eggs, too. Egg yolk is especially good for cats. (We feed that, too, in powder form: it's a great topper to get our pickier cat to eat just about anything!)

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
plain yogurt is also okay, and unsalted butter should also be okay

Again, you can make a sauce for yourself, but leave kitty's plain.

Please stay away from seasonings for kitty.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meat. I grill, bake and broil just about all meats I eat and more often than not will leave the meat unseasoned so the kids can have some. Sophie LOVES steak and drools until she gets some. Both girls love turkey breast and as soon as they realize I made some will stand on the kitchen table and holler for some. If I am planning on seasoning or marinating meat, I cut a piece off for them that I cook by itself. Lilith also likes scrambled eggs. These are also unseasoned cooked injust some butter. Both girls like cheddar cheese and get VERY small pieces a couple of times a month.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying it tonight ;)!
I hope you like it! One of the great things about the recipe is that you can add things (spinach is good) or spice it up if you want. It's not an exciting recipe but it's almost a comfort food for me. I just can't stop eating it. :p And I love it left over: I use rice noodles (the brown rice kind with the rabbit on the label, I forget the brand) and they brown and crisp up nicely when I reheat (in some oil). I'm going to have to make some of these again soon!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My alpha is a turd. He loves butter and mayonnaise. He also hoovers the floor when I'm done grating cheese because mom is a hot mess in the kitchen. He's also fond of fried chicken and wings (under the skin and seasoning) and the rare part of the ribeye steaks (under the seasoning). We don't have pork often, but the kid loves bacon (small piece because of sodium). He also tries to eat glazed donuts. They can't taste sweet, but bub loves carbs. He also tried licking the inside of my little package of snacking green olives today. Both boys like trying to get pickled ham hocks from me. Even a half ounce of food can have between 20-50 calories so whatever it is, do it sparingly.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lalagimp lalagimp -- ours also hoover up grated cheese that falls on the floor, unfortunately they love it!